Backup client pc's

todarsey

• 3 weeks later...

From what I am interpreting from your quote is that you want to backup each client's pc? Meaning you want to do a backup of each client's data. If so than you should look into something called folder redirect. Google for the info and you'll get what you're looking for. This is also something good to implement if your using roaming profiles on your network. If your confuse I can take the time to try to write you a tutorial on it or find you one to read. If you want more detail info, you can always wiki it. Wiki as in wikipedia.

If this is the wrong info your looking for, it would be best for you to maybe rephrase your question and provide more examples.

Later

Edited by akirasee

• 4 months later...

I would like to ask a similar question.

Let's say I have two different physical locations - both can be running Server 2008 if needed. Can you easily set up the system to backup data at the other site. It doesn't need to be the entire disk image, but perhaps documents, etc.

So can server at location A back up certain folders of server at location B, and can server B backup certain folders at Server A? I'd like to keep irreplacable data off site, but have everything done automatically. In other words, I don't want to have to remember to manually back up data at site A and carry it to site B, etc. This is not a business environment, but rather two homes.

Thanks,

Edited by sic0048

folder redirection does not backup files and folders persay, it just moves the location of the files to the Server. From that point you could use windows backup or a 3rd party tool to backup the files.

Thank you for the quick replu!

So I guess my question is more related to trying to do that over a secure internet connection between the two sites. Is there third party software out there desgned to do that? Or does Server 2008 have the ability to easily set this up?

• 2 weeks later...

Smart Sync Pro - http://www.smartsync.com/

Lets you schedule backups from clients/servers/any location to FTP/Network Drives/USB Drives etc etc.

Alerts can be setup by email to ensure these are taking place, alerts can detail what has been backed up, if it was completed.

I use it accross all our sites etc, quick fix for laptop users who store lots of files locally and only loose their laptops!

Smart Synch looks interesting. I'll certainly look into it more. I guess my biggest questions is about encryption if I am backing up files across the internet to a off site location. Is encryption built in and how good is it? If not, what are my options? IE can I create an encrypted connection between the two computers. (I'm not a network guy, so this stuff is all new to me).