Playing files downloaded from VEOH.

Sfor

It appears, the VEOH holds significant amount of video clips. Unfortunatelly, I found no good player able to play VEOH .FLL files on a Windows 98 system. I know about two players able to handle the .FLL files. But, both are not perfect.

1) FLV Player. Well, it seems to be working. But, the hardware requirements are huge (or the player is no good on 1.8 Ghz P4).

2) SMPlayer (with MPlayer). Plays the .FLL files significantly better than the FLVPlayer. But, there are some problems with Windows 98 support, probably. The volume regulation does not work, at all (for an instance).

My favourite one is the GOM Player. But, for some reason it is unable to locate a proper codecs for the VEOH .FLL files.

Is there a better solution than FLV Player or SMPlayer?

Here is a direct link to a .FLL file (62MB): http://content.veoh.com/flash/f/2/v3317692...974a445928955ac

You should be able to download it without entering the VEOH www site.

It is posible to download .FLV files from the VEOH, as well. It appears the .FLL was used with older video clips. The newer clips are in coded with .FLV.

Still, in order to play an .FLL file it is necesary to change the file extension to .FLV.

Edited by Sfor

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /flash/f/2/v3317692QR3nsGaD/fae4343611cf03ea495f6913dac8686ebfc7aadd.fll on this server.

They made sure that nobody from Romania can access their site. I'm not in the mood for hunting for a proxy, even assuming a fully stealth one would allow downloading large files.

As far as I'm concerned, Flash based-video hosting sites such as VEOH, YouTube, GoogleVideos and such, can go [..] themselves as both video and audio quality are lousy at best.

The quality is good enough, for me. Besides the details are not very important, when reading subtitles. Also, the GOM Player does have a quite effective quality enhancement filters.

The real video would suffer significantly after applying the necesary video compression. But, in case of cartoons and anime the result seems to be not a bad one.

You could try orbit downloader to grab the file. I'll try this later on since I'm in Virtualdub encoding files.

I didn't see anything in ffdshow for FLL files but if they are flash based then Vdub might be able to open these files. Also maybe the flvinput plugin for Vdub could work with it.

Edited by rjisinspired

You can always send a request e-mail to GOMlabs so they associate the .FLL extension with the .FLV video type. I use GOMplayer myself but since I don't have any interest in .FLL files there's no reason for me to bother them.

Well, the file association will not solve the problem, I'm afraid. The GOM opens the .FLL files, but it is unable to find a proper codec.

On the other hand, SMPlayer (Mplayer) does not open the .FLL files. But, after renaming them to .FLV it does have all the necesary codecs.

--------------------

As for the VEOH country support. It looks extremely weird (if not stupid). I'm just curious, if the lockout is IP or the user language based.

--------------------

I've been playing with the Orbit Downloader a bit. But, it did not worked well enough for me. So I'm using the Video DownloadHelper plugin in the Firefox, instead. But, I do prefer to download files with Opera, after capturing direct http links to video files with www.graber.pl portal (There are other better portals like that, I believe. As, the Graber does seem to support just the polish language).

The VirtualDub does not seem to be able to play files in the full screen mode. So, I do not see a good video player in it.

As for the VEOH country support. It looks extremely weird (if not stupid). I'm just curious, if the lockout is IP or the user language based.
i always wonder, why does sites trying to mimic the DVD region lock-out?

yeah, veoh refuse my IP address as well.

iirc, some of YouTube content was also behave that way.

I'm seeing Veoh has FLV files. I haven't come across FLL files, yet, unless these are the ones in which orbit can't download? Certain videos can't be downloaded by orbit, constant retrying and url's closing down, bummer.

Virtualdub is more of an editor than a player though I was hoping to grab an FLL file to see if Vdub could load and decode the format through the FLV import plugin or through FFDshow, although I don't see FLL as an option for FFDshow maybe it could open it as FLV?

Personally I believe .FLL is just an attempt at "personalizing" the .FLV type and/or protecting their "assets", but without access to such .FLL file I can't say for sure.

Regarding associations, I didn't mean Windows extension type association with certain player, but internal GOMplayer association of the .FLV decoder with the .FLL extension, which might get it to play .FLLs.