"All Programs" button not working

nnylvb

This has been a problem for me for at least a few years now. When I click on the All Programs button under the Start Menu, nothing happens. I found a hotfix for it on Microsoft website, but when I downloaded the hotfix, nothing changed. This i a very minor issue, but I would like to fix it if something is wrong. Can someone help me?

Please do not cross post. If you accidentally post in the wrong forum, do not create another topic -we will move it. I deleted your other post in the Win98 forum.

a few years without using All Programs on the start menu? I hope the problem is intermittent otherwise you are a very patient person. do you remember anything about this hotfix you downloaded?

When I insert the Windows XP disc, I get a menu:

-Install Windows XP

-Learn more about the setup process

-Install optional windows components

-Perform additional tasks

-Check System Compatibility

I tried to do a search for "partition" & "Windows Repair" in the disc, but received no results. I am fairly new at doing the technical stuff, so maybe I'm not understanding some steps in between that you didn't mention that maybe you assumed I already know of. Can you tell me step by step? Please be patient with me. I'm learning, but slowly.

Also, the hotfix I found is at the following website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941248

Maybe that will help you understand the problem more. Thank you.

ok, so I didn't check the link before I sent the last message. Now that I have, I followed all the steps to boot from Windows XP disc & the All Programs button still didn't work. No big deal. When I log on as anything other than Administrator, the All Programs button does work. Thank you for the suggestion.

When I log on as anything other than Administrator

thats a key piece of evidence right there. My guess is its something in the administrators profile causing it.

you could hunt down the issue within that profile but i would just wipe the profile data and start from scratch:

backup anything under that user (administrator) profile to a location outside C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

logoff administrator

log onto another administrator account

right click my computer

properties

advanced tab

click settings under user profiles

delete the administrators profile(if you cant a reboot may be required)

logout

login as administrator

restore the files (if any) from the backed up location