IE8 RC1 won't integrate with nlite

ltsnow

Kurt aims to make a lot of folders on a DVD size iso, and puts bat-files in the iso-root. I prefer a smaller iso with just a couple of files stacked away on it. Also, Kurt is more about a fully updated installer-release. The software he optionally ads in his batch files is updated so often it is quite insane to create installers with that software integrated. My approach on creating install-iso's is more of the remove as much nonsense as I can type ;-) and I prefer to just use the OS-inherent software.

Edited by meowing

• 2 weeks later...

IE8 RC1 is now available from MS Download Center. It also does not integrate as the other RC1 versions we tried. The /integrate switch is missing. If someone is a member of the IE8 team (or what ever MS calls it), please report this problem (also the /log switch does not work). Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I discovered I could call MS for free on IE8, so I did. They are to call me back. We'll have to see if anything comes of this. John.

Edited by johnhc

IE8 RC1 is now available from MS Download Center. It also does not integrate as the other RC1 versions we tried. The /integrate switch is missing. If someone is a member of the IE8 team (or what ever MS calls it), please report this problem (also the /log switch does not work). Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I discovered I could call MS for free on IE8, so I did. They are to call me back. We'll have to see if anything comes of this. John.

Good going John. Keep us posted.

Nice work there john. Let's all cross fingers this can be resolved. Seeing as i can't uninstall the RC version, i might be able to install beta 2 over it, but i'd rather not. I have noticed some weird message that Internet explorer cannot download this page, when i am entering a console like services.msc. Which is just totally laugh. So for me it's very important to get the final asap, as its such an, obviously, integral part of the operating system.

I called MS again yesterday (Saturday, 1-31-09), since I had not heard from them. They said only that they would report my problems to the developers and would give no indication when we might see another release or updates. He kept saying to watch Windows Updates and the Download Center. Anyone can call them. I would rather not put the number here, but if you go to the DL center, find the Release Candidate DL page and look for the support message and click on it, it will lead you to a page of options. One option is free phone support and has the 866 number. Enjoy, John.

Again, I succeeded just fine in installing IE8 unattended in XP x64, just using a batch-file that kills itself after auto-logon.

Put a .bat in $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ on the image.

In that .bat put something like this:

@ECHO OFF
FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\uniquefileinCDroot.txt (SET SOURCE=%%I:& GOTO DONECD)
ECHO.
ECHO. Can't find the install CD, can you put it back in please?
ECHO.
PAUSE
FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\uniquefileinCDroot.txt (SET SOURCE=%%I:& GOTO DONECD)
:DONECD
CLS
@ECHO OFF

ECHO. Voila, installing the monster that is IE8

%SOURCE%\Your Folder On CD\IE8-WindowsServer2003-x64-ENU.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

SHUTDOWN /r /f /t 10 /c "Restarting 64-bit XP with IE8"
CLS
@ECHO OFF
ATTRIB -R -A -S -H "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*"
DEL /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini"
DEL /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*.bat"

Edited by meowing

MS is shooting themself in the foot with this. I will never install vista for personal use (again), and i will never use IE8 either if the final is not possible to integrate into xp, x64 xp in my case. Also the RC1 is totally unusable for me.

Well, I'm not sure why you wouldn't install Vista again, as IE8 will install on Vista (unless I'm missing something that's less than obvious here). But, with regards to CBS vs update.exe, update.exe has been around since the Win9x days, and is really limited in what it can do during install (both online and offline) with Vista and subsequent Windows versions. I really don't know what the complaint is here, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Again, I succeeded just fine in installing IE8 unattended in XP x64, just using a batch-file that kills itself after auto-logon.

Put a .bat in $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ on the image.

In that .bat put something like this:

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Put your CD back in the reader if you took it out..
PING 1.1.1.1 -n 2 -w 2 >NUL
FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\WIN51AP.SP2 (SET CDROM=%%I)
CLS
@ECHO OFF

ECHO Voila, IE8 installs just fine..

%CDROM%\folderonCD\IE8-WindowsServer2003-x64-ENU.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

SHUTDOWN /r /f /t 10 /c "Restarting 64-bit XP with IE8"
CLS
@ECHO OFF
ATTRIB -R -A -S -H "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*"
DEL /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini"
DEL /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*.bat"

If you were able to do this, wouldn't it be possible for nlite to maybe do the same thing automatically when you insert IE 8 as a hotfix?

If you were able to do this, wouldn't it be possible for nlite to maybe do the same thing automatically when you insert IE 8 as a hotfix?
No, those are installed in a different system-state. http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13/

You can only do so much using a setup-schedule. Even the RunOnceEx doesn't work, because installing IE8 requires an active and loaded system, including explorer.exe etc. That's why I proposed the extra batch-file, which worked fine for me.

But I uninstalled it myself. I wouldn't go all the way with this one. IE8 sucks compared to Firefox. The only reason IE8 can be a good thing is because it has a 64 bit version, and Firefox alpha x64 code is still very bad with none of the Addons and plugins functioning. Then again, what good is IE8 when there are no decent Addons for it?

Edited by meowing

• 1 month later...

I've been wrestling with this off and on for a week now....

My solution...

...well first let me explain that I like having all applications installed during RunOnceEx as opposed to integrating the applications with add-ons via nLite and Add-on maker. RunOnceEx gives me a nice little GUI that I can put my employer's name on and I can see exactly what's being installed should something fail...

Having said that, after all my apps installed, including IE8RC1, I was getting an error when the desktop started to come up. Apparently on 1st boot of XP there are several tasks to be accomplished just prior to the display of the desktop, including 'browser configuration'. When it got to this point... Either the XP Desktop Config tasks [This is when it's personalizing your profile] or IE8 generated the error below....

RUNDLL

Error in C:\Windows\System32\iedkcs32.dll

Missing entry: BrandIEActiveSetup

[OK]

:o

One of the solutions I considered is what meowing suggested above and installing IE8 from the start-up folder of all users. I didn't think this was as elegant as RunOnceEx, tho.

So I chose to incorporate an additonal reboot and also to cascade batch files.

I created an additional batch file called DsktpBld.cmd and everything that was in RunOnceEx.cmd I put in DsktpBld.cmd which I then called by having RunOnceEx.cmd place a reg line for it in the registry under the RunOnceEx Key. RunOnceEx.cmd is executed right before the last XP installation reboot. On that next boot, DsktpBld.cmd is called prior to the desktop appearing, as designed. DsktpBld.cmd then puts an entry in for all of the applications I want to install into the RunOnceEx key of the registry. So, after one more reboot, the applications, including IE8RC1, install right before the desktop appears for the 2nd time ever and after XP has already performed its Desktop Config tasks. Finally I can either have IE8 force a reboot or have DsktpBld.cmd place another line in the Registry under RunOnceEx that calls a third batch file which can be used to copy files, import registry settings with serials, and delete files/folders that are no longer needed. However a final reboot will be required to get IE8 to work. It's unusable prior to that.

I think IE8 updated the file iedkcs32.dll and so when XP makes the call [during the 'browser config' of the pre-desktop tasks] to the dll looking for BrandIEActiveSetup...that function is not there. So by allowing XP to build the desktop first then installing IE8 ... you avoid the error altogether.

Maybe subsequent updates of XP will eliminate any future calls by the OS to the function BrandIEActiveSetup in that DLL or any others. :}

I also think this caused problems for Magicdisc silent installations during RunOnceEx and prior to the display of the desktop for the first time. It generated ...

MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD Manager

Error Reading Trayicon1->Visible

Cannot Create System Shell Notification Icon

[OK]

Edited by drewp