Opera 10

Atmosphere XG

I have some experience in Browser..Opera is 50% slow than IE and FIrefox..trust me.

Sorry for being not able to fulfill your wishes :(, but NO :ph34r: , I won't trust you on your word and self-declared experience.

When I'll see some data I may.

Of course, as long it is your personal opinion on the matter, I will hold it in the greatest consideration. :), but still at the moment it sounds to me more like a:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

kind of innuendo.

jaclaz

I have some experience in Browser..Opera is 50% slow than IE and FIrefox..trust me.

Sorry for being not able to fulfill your wishes :(, but NO :ph34r: , I won't trust you on your word and self-declared experience.

When I'll see some data I may.

Of course, as long it is your personal opinion on the matter, I will hold it in the greatest consideration. :), but still at the moment it sounds to me more like a:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

kind of innuendo.

jaclaz

You know, I don't care if you don't "trust"me. I don't think i'm important in your life. But, I'm a pc user since I was 5. So please, do not tell me those cr**@

You know, I don't care if you don't "trust"me. I don't think i'm important in your life. But, I'm a pc user since I was 5. So please, do not tell me those cr**@

Take it easy :), no need to start a flame war, anyone is free to have his own opinions.....

I now see :yes: how being a PC user since the age of 5 qualifies you for being trusted on your word, whatever you affirm (at least browser speed related).

:hello:

jaclaz

Take it easy :), no need to start a flame war, anyone is free to have his own opinions.....

jaclaz

I don't know what happen to the Windows 98/95 forum lately. The hostility I've seen these days when others choose not to follow the trend and set their own goes against the whole meaning of using Windows 1998 much less 95 in 2008. :whistle:

Is it that hard for them to understand that everyone has their own needs when surfing the Internet thus, opinions will vary as well? :wacko:

When it's browser sniffing, maybe you can use the 'F12->Edit site preferences->Network->Browser identification->Mask as Internet Explorer' trick. After a refresh (F5) the site should 'think' you're using IE.

This is good advice (but what a PITA that default arrangement is!) One of the best and easiest suggestions for Opera users is to have the Browser user agent box visible at all times. Try this if you haven't already, it is well worth the 5 seconds it takes to do it.

(1) Make sure you have the Status Bar enabled (the Status Bar is the line at the bottom of the Opera window which does things like display the URL pointed to when the mouse is held over a link). If it is missing: Tools | Appearance | Toolbars and then check the box for Status Bar.

(2) Now go to: Tools | Appearance | Buttons and in the left column click Preferences.

(3) With the mouse drag the box shown as "Identify as Internet Explorer" onto the Status Bar and release. It is a dropdown box that shows the current user agent tag (browser identification) and lets you quickly change (F5 refresh whatever page you're on of course!).

Webpage slingers (aka programmers) often tie content to the browser the visitor is presumably using. For example there is a very useful site at http://www.yellowpages.com/maps which allows you to enter address/city/state/zip and see Birdseye POV maps using technology from Microsoft's Virtual Earth.

When using the default Identify as Opera this webslinger arbitrarily decided to just allow you the plain old illustrated maps with no access to the good stuff! When the user agent says: Identify as Internet Explorer, the navigational toolbar containing the compass and buttons for Aerial, Bird's Eye, etc., are present and available. I have not tried, but this may also hold true for other Microsoft Virtual Earth sites.

Memo to self: remember to berate YellowPages later for hiring a nitwit to code their site. On second thought, 5 bucks says Microsoft shipped them a template for implementing the map engine. :whistle:

Got a response from Myspace customer support:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We appreciate you sharing your comments and suggestions. We consider them important and they will be taken under advisement.

If you would like to send us additional information, please reply to this email.

For the most up to date messages about MySpace, subscribe to the MySpace Help blog! You get updates almost every day! Click here to subscribe: www.myspace.com/myspacehelp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. Not really the type of response I was after. Not an answer to my original question.

I tried the trick with changing the UA to IE and I didn't get a redirect page but the page is whitened out. The java uploader isn't visible on the upload page.

I tried the trick with changing the UA to IE and I didn't get a redirect page but the page is whitened out. The java uploader isn't visible on the upload page.

Try it again, and this time on the blank page (I hate that!) do View | Source and report back.

Likely problem is that there is a re-direct URL in there that is not occuring. Paste/Go this URL from the source to the address bar should tell you something. A blocked domain from a HOSTS file is another likely scenario. McAfee/Norton/Firewall blacklist. Or even someone is messing with your computer settings.

I saved the source as a text file:

http://rjschat.dyndns.org:8080/Paranoha/my...pace_upload.txt

Too early in the morning to read all that, lol. I check it out later.

I didn't see anything obvious in there that looked bad. So I took this myspace_upload.txt and made it into myspace_upload.htm and opened into an Opera tab. The page opened up (eventually) and looked like fine. It says stuff like:

Upload Video: Step 2 -- Add Your Video File

File Size Limit per upload: 512MB. 

Acceptable formats: 

.avi, .asf, .dv, .wmv, .mov, .qt, .3g2, .3gp, .3gp2, .3gpp, .gsm, .mpg, .mpeg, 

.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .cmp, .divx, .xvid, .264, .rm, .rmvb, .flv, .mkv, .ogm

... etc ...

You are going to have to take a look at your Opera Preferences, particularly the Java options (press F12).

Under site preferences under the content tab in Opera, enabled for the site and its page are: Animations, Sounds, Java and Plugins. I did uncheck the last option for "enabling content blocking" but this made no difference. My next idea is to contact Opera about this but this looks to be a Myspace problem but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

At least there is no redirect page showing.

Edited by rjisinspired

Under site preferences under the content tab in Opera, enabled for the site and its page are: Animations, Sounds, Java and Plugins. I did uncheck the last option for "enabling content blocking" but this made no difference. My next idea is to contact Opera about this but this looks to be a Myspace problem but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

At least there is no redirect page showing.

Jeez,I just realized that this thread was Opera 10 beta. Is that what you are using?

If so, get over to Opera and make sure this problem is known to them while they are still in beta testing. Considering the massive size of MySpace, my guess is that this will get some attention. But they need to hear from you.

However, if you are on Opera 9 (like myself), then this is definitely not an Opera problem since I just used that page you provided. Can you let us know what all EIGHT of those choices are, checked_or_unchecked, in F12? Here is what mine were set at when I checked that MySpace page ...

X Enable Animated Images

O Enable Sound in Web Pages

X Enable Java

X Enable Plug-Ins

X Enable JavaScript

X Enable Cookies

X Send Referrer Information

O Enable Proxy Servers

There are other Opera settings that matter also. 3rd party influences also can block things, especially HOSTS and firewalls.

To All Lurkers: if you are on Opera 9 or 10 beta, perhaps you could get that attachment above in Post#23 and save it, rename it to an HTM and then open it in an Opera tab and note whether you see the page I described in Post#24.

This applies to Past Opera versions up to verison 9.6. I haven't downloaded and used beta 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Content that is enabled:

Animations, sounds, java, plugins

The enable content blocking is unchecked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the display tab - what is checked:

Frames, inline frames, styling of scrollbars and forms.

The only thing not checked is enabling of a frame's border, option #3.

Cookies: All are accepted - about 11 or so are visible through the cookie window.

Hosts file:

The host file doesn't have any references to Myspace IPs so that part checks out on my end.

Proxies:

No proxies enabled. Direct connection to the net. No proxy services enabled in Opera neither.

Referrer information:

Being sent, checked.

Firewall:

Zone alarm isn't blocking content. I have the free version firewall so this wouldn't have the advanced feature set to block those type of things.

Antivirus:

AVG 7.5. No resident program to block content, only catch possible scripts if their malicious. Will not get version 8.0 of this program. Watchdog is a PITA.

If there's anything else I could check, I'll check it out.

I have notified Opera about what is happening already. See what happens.

Edited by rjisinspired

This applies to Past Opera versions up to verison 9.6. I haven't downloaded and used beta 10.

Well, I guess we are in hijack territory. Sorry Atmosphere XG.! You probably should start another thread for Opera 9 and MySpace, but I am not a mod here so I'll leave it as IMHO.

Content that is enabled:

Animations, sounds, java, plugins

The enable content blocking is unchecked.

Under the display tab - what is checked:

Frames, inline frames, styling of scrollbars and forms.

The only thing not checked is enabling of a frame's border, option #3.

Cookies: All are accepted - about 11 or so are visible through the cookie window.

Hosts file:

The host file doesn't have any references to Myspace IPs so that part checks out on my end.

Proxies:

No proxies enabled. Direct connection to the net. No proxy services enabled in Opera neither.

Referrer information:

Being sent, checked.

Firewall:

Zone alarm isn't blocking content. I have the free version firewall so this wouldn't have the advanced feature set to block those type of things.

Antivirus:

AVG 7.5. No resident program to block content, only catch possible scripts if their malicious. Will not get version 8.0 of this program. Watchdog is a PITA.

You did not mention the most important thing: JavaScript. That would be the easy answer!

If JavaScript is enabled and working, well, you should describe your internet connection (small home network, router, wifi, cable, etc). This is Win9x right? Not a limited account on WinXP?

Wait, here is an idea. Check that webpage in another browser or two, MSIE for sure, and Firefox if you have it. This should narrow the problem down to the browser or something else (probably should have suggested this first :wacko: ).