Connectivity Options

joe43wv

A family friend just got satellite internet at their home. They called me out last night to look at the setup. They have it in their house and am wanting the service at the office too, the office is probably 300+ ft. away. I am going to set them up with wireless in the home, but not sure if that's an option to the office or not. Is there a way to shoot the signal that far, if so, the office itself is in the far end of the building, he owns a dozer business so he has a shop and equipment in front. a lot of walls to get there. If I could get the signal to at least right inside the garage part, I could put a router in from there and string a wire back. I don't have a problem stringing CAT 5 to the office, just need to know if there's anything special I need to do. Thanks in advance!

if you have wireless, as long as the signal reaches (it should, but there are a lot of variables involved), you don't need to do anything. Just have wireless cards installed in PC's in the office. Alternatively, you can buy a wireless bridge, and connect all the office PC's to a switch, connect the bridge to the switch and the bridge will connect wirelessly to the home router

Edited by rendrag

That lies the problem. Where the office pc's are I know the signal won't reach without some kind of help either put some kind of booster to the building itself then find some kind of converter to get it into the office itself. Would it be easier to just run CAT 5 over and then go from there? If so is there anything special I need to do or and special kind of CAT 5 I need to get?

it would probably be easier and less costly to just run the cat5. I'd probably get STP (shielded twisted pair) cable, unless you'll be running in ducting, in which case i'd get plenum-rated cat5. The shielded will help prevent interference from lights and anything that generates electromagnetic interference.