my problem- see pic inside

exquisite000

this is my first time using nlite and also vmware..i have few questions:

1. i created unattended with driver included using nlite...when i tested it with vmware, this problem appear

try1-2008-12-18-22-50-39.png

try1-2008-12-18-22-55-03333.png

try1-2008-12-18-22-49-434444.png

it will copy all the installation at first (as usual),after that it restart..then the (first pic) appear and keep repeating more than 10 time until i shut down it..sometimes 2nd and 3rd pic appeared..and followed by restart

2. i read at MSFN that tell to numbered the driver file to make sure which one will be installed first..but i don't see any instructions like that on nlite guide page..i'm quiet confused coz MSFN tuto not using latest version of nlite while nlite guide page using latest version of nlite as me..is the latest version still need to numbered the driver file??

3. vmware use the word 'guest'..what is it actually refer to??

4. how do i know my xp x64 or x86..is it depend on my pc hardware or windows xp cd??

exquisite000, I suspect you have not allocated enough memory or disk space to your Virtual Machine (VM). Please show us your VM definitions. Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure you have not run nLite more than once against the same source, always use a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and do all your work in one nLite session. Guest refers to the VM that is running under VMware and Host refers to the system you are running VMware on. Right Click My Computer and select Properties, your system attributes will be shown there. Concerning your number 2 question: please show where you see this. It is not important what order regular drivers are input only text mode and then only if you specify more than one for the same device. BTW, VMware (or any other virtual system) will not test your drivers because your actual hardware is not there, just VM provided virtual hardware. So, VMware does not use you drivers, but a virtual system is the best way to test your ISO before you go to real hardware. Enjoy, John.

exquisite000, I suspect you have not allocated enough memory or disk space to your Virtual Machine (VM). Please show us your VM definitions. Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure you have not run nLite more than once against the same source, always use a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and do all your work in one nLite session. Guest refers to the VM that is running under VMware and Host refers to the system you are running VMware on. Right Click My Computer and select Properties, your system attributes will be shown there. Concerning your number 2 question: please show where you see this. It is not important what order regular drivers are input only text mode and then only if you specify more than one for the same device. BTW, VMware (or any other virtual system) will not test your drivers because your actual hardware is not there, just VM provided virtual hardware. So, VMware does not use you drivers, but a virtual system is the best way to test your ISO before you go to real hardware. Enjoy, John.

1. "Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini" - i can't find where's my last session.ini...i try to search vmware folder also but can't find it

2. "Right Click My Computer and select Properties, your system attributes will be shown there"- yes, it showed the xp,service pack and version but can't find x86 or x64

3."Concerning your number 2 question: please show where you see this (numbering driver)" - http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/34/ & http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/35/

4. "Make sure you have not run nLite more than once against the same source, always use a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and do all your work in one nLite session" - please explain more about this

5. "VMware does not use you drivers, but a virtual system is the best way to test your ISO before you go to real hardware" - isn't vmware is categorized under virtual system? why nlite suggested using vmware to test cd?

Edited by exquisite000

exquisite000, Considering your last numbered list:

1. The Last Session.ini is in your source folder where your Windows files are (after you run nLite). It is created by nLite, not VMware.
  2. If it does not say x64, then it is 32 bit, x86.
  3. I will look at your links.
  4. Copy your Windows CD files/folders into a folder on your HDD. DL the SP, hot fixes, drivers you want and save them somewhere on your HDD. Run nLite and integrate the SP, add the hot fixes and make any removals and changes (with nLite), including the Unattended section, that you want and make an ISO. If you discover a problem, start the whole process over again. I copied my CD to a folder and then copy it to my working folder before I run nLite.
  5. VMware is not aware of your ultimate hardware and uses virtual ones for the configured VM. There are many things that can and will go wrong before you get an ISO that will work and be what you want, not even considering the driver part. VMware offers a way for you to sit at you KB and mouse and sort these out without the frustration of hardware issues on top. It is also a lot faster. I can install my XP x64 system in less than 15 minutes on VMware Server. Please read through some of the posts here and you will see what I mean. VMware also allows you to boot the ISO without burning a CD (create a coaster).

Hope this helps, John.

EDIT: Concerning number 3 above. These instructions have nothing to do with nLite. NLite will place the proper files in the proper places, you only need to run the Drivers under Task Selection and select the drivers you want to include. If you want to do your drivers manually via winnt.sif, then have at it. I think you may be able to get help in the Unattended sub-forum in these forums. John.

Edited by johnhc

exquisite000, Considering your last numbered list:

1. The Last Session.ini is in your source folder where your Windows files are (after you run nLite). It is created by nLite, not VMware.
  2. If it does not say x64, then it is 32 bit, x86.
  3. I will look at your links.
  4. Copy your Windows CD files/folders into a folder on your HDD. DL the SP, hot fixes, drivers you want and save them somewhere on your HDD. Run nLite and integrate the SP, add the hot fixes and make any removals and changes (with nLite), including the Unattended section, that you want and make an ISO. If you discover a problem, start the whole process over again. I copied my CD to a folder and then copy it to my working folder before I run nLite.
  5. VMware is not aware of your ultimate hardware and uses virtual ones for the configured VM. There are many things that can and will go wrong before you get an ISO that will work and be what you want, not even considering the driver part. VMware offers a way for you to sit at you KB and mouse and sort these out without the frustration of hardware issues on top. It is also a lot faster. I can install my XP x64 system in less than 15 minutes on VMware Server. Please read through some of the posts here and you will see what I mean. VMware also allows you to boot the ISO without burning a CD (create a coaster).

Hope this helps, John.

EDIT: Concerning number 3 above. These instructions have nothing to do with nLite. NLite will place the proper files in the proper places, you only need to run the Drivers under Task Selection and select the drivers you want to include. If you want to do your drivers manually via winnt.sif, then have at it. I think you may be able to get help in the Unattended sub-forum in these forums. John.

5. "VMware is not aware of your ultimate hardware and uses virtual ones for the configured VM" - so you have any better suggestion than using vmware to test my driver??

Please look at my attached - 'last session.ini' - that's all i can get from preset folder under nlite.. i don't know which one to upload..so i give all

Last_Session__2008.12.18_11.29.00_.ini

Last_Session.ini

Edited by exquisite000

exquisite000, canadaspride is absolutely correct - you should remove the _u.ini files! These should never be posted, as it says at the top of the file! The only problem I see in your Last Session.ini is that you are applying hot fixes to IE7 and Media Player 11, but you have installed neither. Search the MS Download site for both and include them in your hot fix list before the updates. There is only one way to test drivers and that is against the actual hardware. A virtual system is still the best way to test your ISOs to get these other problems resolved before you go to HW. The Last Session.ini that is usually posted is in the source folder after nLite runs. Enjoy, John.

exquisite000, canadaspride is absolutely correct - you should remove the _u.ini files! These should never be posted, as it says at the top of the file! The only problem I see in your Last Session.ini is that you are applying hot fixes to IE7 and Media Player 11, but you have installed neither. Search the MS Download site for both and include them in your hot fix list before the updates. There is only one way to test drivers and that is against the actual hardware. A virtual system is still the best way to test your ISOs to get these other problems resolved before you go to HW. The Last Session.ini that is usually posted is in the source folder after nLite runs. Enjoy, John.

sory, i'm new in nlite..so never thought that the last session_u.ini contains information about cd-key..i've removed it..but seems like it's worthless coz 'mitsukai' have published it..

anyway, that's mean that i need to remove hot fixes for IE7 and Media Player 11 or include IE7 and media player 11 installer in the cd right??

another question, if i want to start the process again, can i use the same source (xp cd that i copied to my hd)?? is there any change made to the source??when i browse and insert hotfix,drivers and others, is nlite copy the file to my source, or nlite just take note where i put the things and combining it at the end of the process??

can i use the 'last session' setting but from another source (another xp cd)??..coz, i juz want to make some adjustment on hotfix,drivers and cd key only

@exquisite000- Well, mitsukai didn't publish your key. On the other hand, you unfortunately did. When you posted your .ini files, they will have been scanned over by search engines and anybody else. What you see mitsukai having done is showing you a search through google and the results are all the locations that your key has ended up.

Mark

mark, you mean _U.ini not .ini.

exquisite000, when nLite runs, it changes the files in the source folder. Either copy your CD again or keep a copy on your hard file. I copied my CD only once and now when I want to run nLite I copy those files/folders to my working folder. Yes you can Import any Last Session.ini you want to use - see the Presets screen of nLite, Import Button. When I have something I like, I save a copy of the Last Session.ini so I can use it later. Enjoy, John.

mark, you mean _U.ini not .ini.

exquisite000, when nLite runs, it changes the files in the source folder. Either copy your CD again or keep a copy on your hard file. I copied my CD only once and now when I want to run nLite I copy those files/folders to my working folder. Yes you can Import any Last Session.ini you want to use - see the Presets screen of nLite, Import Button. When I have something I like, I save a copy of the Last Session.ini so I can use it later. Enjoy, John.

u mean if i create a new cd using nlite again, the last session.ini will be overwrite??

that's mean, if i take the source folder that used by nlite and make it .iso, the .iso file will be the same as .iso that create by nlite??

what is the difference if:

1. using my last source folder that used by nlite and using the last session.ini

2. using a new source folder and using the last session.ini

is there any different??which one is better??

Edited by exquisite000

exquisite000, I will say it again: You must always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders. NLite changes/adds/deletes files/folders when it runs. It also writes the Last Session.ini into the source folder. A copy is also written to C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets, with a date code, so all previous ones are there. You can select the Preset (Last Session) you want to use in the beginning of running nLite. Enjoy, John.