Graphics CArd running HOT!, i think.

prizm3d

Hello

i recently bought a Inno3D 9800GT 1G graphics card, i installed it and it was running nicely in vista...

then i started playing some games, i played NFS undercover at full graphics nicely but when i put test drive unlimited to max the pc crash some red spots appeared and the pc stopped responding, after that whenever i put TDU the screens gets the red spots and crashes, then i tried assasins creed i was playing the tutorial with no problem when in some point it just crashes...

I decided to check the temperature, i saw it was 65C at idle, normal work no games.... then i went to the netlooking for ideal temps, i saw most of the ppl have idle at 40C

do u have any suggestions on how to decrese the temperature, preferably without changing the heatsink.

I am not 100% sure that the cause of the crashes is really the heat, so if any1 of u ever experince this please advice on how to get rid of this problem

Im guessing its because of the hot climate of Mozambique, do u think it could be because of a faulty card?

btw i have the following system

C2Q q6600 not overclocked (the motherboard says that the margin of the temperature is 40C)

2x2gb ddr2 800

intel dq965Gf

thanks for ur support

well honestly lol i've found that if i put a desktop fan (not a computer fan, a fan that sits right on top of your desk) and point it straight into the case and blows on everything inside... it drops the temp of my computer overall alot (cpu, gpu, hdd etc.)

but liquid cooling or larger heatsink never hurts....

other then that i have no suggestions :/ sry

the card probably isn't being cooled very well. look into aftermarket GPU heatsinks...there are tons of options. also, you may want to re-assess the airflow of your system if it's giving you trouble, the card might just not be getting fresh air to keep it cool.

well here the dust level is quite high, and about the air flow, my box stays inside a quite crowded desk...

and well if cant really do anything else i think ill have to put the "desk" fan blowing on it... but ill only do that when the room for the computer is ready...

i was also thinking of ordering a Vantec pci slot cool to put right besibe the graphics card as i dont want to void guarantee and a new effective heatsink is quite expensive, so i was wondering if somebody here can tell me if this can work.....

thanks for all your help

EDIT:

heres the link to the vantec pci slot cooler

also i saw some antec ones...

Antec Super Cyclone Blower

Antec Cyclone Blower

Antec VCool

If you think pci slot coolers may help, which one do u think is best, it can be 1 or 2 slot as i have 2 slots free beside my graphics... If you know any other kind of pci slot cooler then and you think it is better than any of the above then please feel free to tell me :)

Edited by prizm3d

Wow your graphics card is pretty hot, but they can handle more heat than a CPU if thats any good news. My 9600GT idles at just 37C and when I get around to putting some Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease on it it should drop to at least 35C idle as the stuff on it ATM is not that good. Under load playing CRYSIS for about an hour it will never go over 70C and the 9600GT is not that much less powerfull than a 9800GT. Mine runs at stock speed and the heatsink/fan on it is not marketed as being ultra cool, just generally good performance.

EDIT: Make sure your PC is fully clean from dust and that it has a fully working CPU fan , power supply fan and at least one maybe two case fans since you live in a hot climate.

Edited by RiderZen

well i have a FSP group 400w power supply with 2 x 12v rails at 18A each....

how do i know if my memory is okay?

btw the power supply came with the case which is generic..

Edited by prizm3d

Yes it could just be that card. Check the connection to the monitor is secured and I would say 2x 18A should be ok on the 12V rails although 400W is pushing it for a 9800GT. They recommend AT LEAST 400W for a 9600GT so the 9800GT should need even more power. Take out any unneeded drives and and expansion cards. A 400W PSU with a Core 2 Quad isn't too great either. At least you are not overclocking it. Try to remove anything you don't need from the computer and ensure your graphics card fan is working also.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Edited by RiderZen

riderzen: those are estimated and projected power draws. real power draw is nowhere near that. i run a 9600GT on a 300W power supply, i have one expansion card for audio (soon to be two) and i have two hard drives, and one optical drive, and 3 fans. i do play one game a lot, Alice, and it's never had any problems with my rig. no overclocking or overvolting though.

did i mention i run two monitors?

riderzen: those are estimated and projected power draws. real power draw is nowhere near that. i run a 9600GT on a 300W power supply, i have one expansion card for audio (soon to be two) and i have two hard drives, and one optical drive, and 3 fans. i do play one game a lot, Alice, and it's never had any problems with my rig. no overclocking or overvolting though.

did i mention i run two monitors?

Yes but notice the 300W PSU in your sig has an 82% rating. His 400W PSU probably does not have this sort of efficiency as it is most probably a cheapo. And the stuff you have in your PC isn't anything that would draw alot of power. Two hard drives may use 20W but one 9800GT can use alot more than that AT IDLE. Look here for system power usage of 9800GT's and the average temps: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...e-palit-19.html

And the test PC used in this review only had one hard drive, one optical drive and only two fans. Although the CPU is more powerful the PSU used in this test is a 1000W so it is fine to have a PSU that has a higher wattage than recommended.

Also notice the idle temps of the 9800's in this system? The 9800GT that may be causing the problems is way over these figures. Really it can be hard to tell exactly what the problem is. Any other ideas?

I ran everest today and i see the following temps at idle

HDDs = 41, 42 and 39

Motherboard = 36

CPU = 47

GPU = 58

North Bridge = 48

South Bridge = 66

Temperature #2 (i have no idea it of what component) = 45

After 20mins of Prime95 Blend tests, the temps were as follows:

HDDs = 46, 49 and 46

Motherboard = 47

CPU = 71

GPU = 60

North Bridge = 49

South Bridge = 69

Temperature #2 (i have no idea it of what component) = 54

And btw today the ambient temperature is lower than usual....

the max temps of the gpu i've seen was in furmark with 1440x900 windowed for 10 mins with 16x AA it reached 95C but didnt crash the pc...

Do u think there is a fault of any other component?

and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all

Edited by prizm3d