Windows 7 Features

blackhartct

Native Iso burning support :) +

Classic Look gone -

I kinda liked Classic Look.. sad that its gone but not heartbroken

Aero Peak +

Library's +-

From a geek standpoint i love it but i know that 97 percent of the users i support will not get it aka 1.2 million questions to jon asking about library's

New Taskbar +

I know alot of people dislike it but its just cool.. i mean come on.

I've had the chance to try it out some on a friend's computer, and while my initial reaction to the new task bar was one of disgust, I found that after using it for a bit, I really, really like the new interface. All of it. It's smooth, fast, intuitive, easy to use and get around in.

Instead of storing all your music in the same folder called "My Music" in XP or "Music" in Vista, you can now keep your music in its original location and add that location in a "Library" called "Music". That library pools all your music files in one central location despite that it's in different drives/folders.

Same concept for videos, documents, etc.

That's a library.

I'm looking forward to this feature.

That's a good feature, given the ability to have a bunch of haphazard files all over the hard drive organized in a bunch of virtual folders.

About the Windows 7 taskbar. Should I decide to upgrade will I be stuck with the thumbnail-style icons on the taskbar, or is there a setting to revert back and forth between that and the way XP handles it?

the fact also that u can pin shortcuts to the new task bar also for easy lauch so u can keep your destop clean ( the way i like it )

but i use neither i rocket docked it removed all from the task bar and desktop,

and of course clickable thumbnails]

but the share options have become a lil more complicated , more options now

Edited by D_block

Libraries are amazingly cool. For a long time now, I've had my music and movies on my file server. Now, I could always change the shell paths to point there, but that also allows whatever program that decides to take a dump into those folders the directions to do it where I can see it. Now, I can add my things to the library, and just remove the default ones; programs happily dump into the default folders, but now I don't have to see and deal with Adobe, Autodesk, and whatever other folders that respawn if I try to delete them. It's very, very cool.

The new taskbar is also rather nice. Mixing Quicklaunch with regular programs seems at first to be messy, but it works in practice rather well. Aero Peak is very handy, because thumbnails aren't enough 90% of the time. I have yet to see the power that Jump Lists portend to have, but at least they make for handy MRU lists for now. My only wish would be that Microsoft allow more than "large" and "small" size icons. Large is a bit much and small is way too small for icon-only use.

Overall, the little tweaks and improvements are very nice. There's still a lot of stuff I'd like to see fixed up, but it's unlikely to happen (little snafus in UI interaction, mainly due to the very bolted on approach of UAC). I'd make this my main desktop OS if it wasn't for the hangups of certain programs, Live Mesh being #1 and the broken text rendering in Word 2007 being #2. Oh, and the fact that ATI is being lazy about OpenGL in x64 again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When in my computer, the computers in your network are listed at the bottom left under network, just click on the computer and you can access the shares. If that wasnt nice enough, you can right click on the computer and remote desktop to it.

Very cool.

i am using vista but i never saw this in vista. In Win7 if i search a specifis word it searches inside the doc, pdf, txt files not only finds in filenames. I very much liked this new search. Try it yourself.

i am using vista but i never saw this in vista. In Win7 if i search a specifis word it searches inside the doc, pdf, txt files not only finds in filenames. I very much liked this new search. Try it yourself.

you can do this in XP and Vista

:)

7 is a huge improvement over Vista (and I really like Vista)