driver error

rfwdwork

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I am running windows xp pro, 1gigcpu, video built into mother board, but later installed a gforce 4700 nvidea graphic card. Went into device manager, next to VIA graphic controller is a yellow circle with a ! in the middle. I double clicked on the driver and down toward the bottom of the window I saw this error,

This Device cannot start (code10). the driver is VIA TECH VT8361/8601 Graphics Controller.

Make and model of computer? SP-level of your XP-Pro (RTM, SP1, SP2, SP3)?

Sometimes (depending on above) you can't use an add-in video card when the PC already has a built-in (i.e. Integrated) video.

You also have to (in the BIOS) allow for PnP OS. Also, looks like the Integrated is the VIA TECH VT8361/8601 Graphics Controller. Do you currently have the monitor plugged into your Gforce? If so, then you should be good for the go - check your BIOS for Video/VGA settings; you may need to disable the Integrated (there will be a conflict in XP due to 2 adapters being in the device list). Does the Gforce show in the Device List and is it functional (insurance to verify it's indeed ok)?

BTW, there's a method to allow for multiple graphics cards in XP. Haven't done it yet, but it's for the purpose of having 2 monitors hooked up (extending your Desktop).

I believe the motherboard is amd, xp pro with sp3. the mother board has graphics built in. I am not sure where in the bios I would find find the things you mentioned. Yes the monitor is plugged into the gforce card. I am not sure where to find the switch in the bios .

Edited by rfwdwork

• 2 weeks later...