Integrating XP Games into W2K3 install

Kjhe

Can this be done? I am aware of the guide to add the appropriate strings into the sysoc.inf file and install from add/remove inside windows, but is it possible to do this automatically during an unattended windows 2003 install?

So far I have identified all the appropriate files needed by the games and put them in the I386 folder, added the new files to be copied in txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf and have made a seperate layout.inf file for the new files, as well as changing the LayoutFile of each games inf file to point to the new layout.inf. The infs have also been added to the sysoc.inf file.

It has worked up to the point of copying all the files over to the correct spots, but the unattended install still has trouble finding the files during the "Copying Files..." stage. Specifically, the error is "Some files on %cdname% are needed. Insert %cdname% into the drive selected below, then click OK" and it is looking for freecell.exe, freecell.ex_ when i check what it is looking for. If I correctly identify the I386 folder for install, everything else goes smoothly and the Games appear correctly in the start menu.

Any advice on what is actually the problem or tips to fix it so it truly becomes unattended?

Attached is the custom layout file for the new files. Referenced in games.inf, igames.inf, pinball.inf. Copy present in dosnet.inf, listed in tonxtsetup.sif with correct filesize (probably not important, only layout.inf files seem to be checked).

TXTSETUP.zip

GLAYOUT.INF

Edited by Kjhe

The problem is that %cdname% thingy. this variable is definied in txtsetup.sif - it looks like this file is not or not correctly loaded. have you already checked if everything is ok regarging this file and its content?

The problem is that %cdname% thingy. this variable is definied in txtsetup.sif - it looks like this file is not or not correctly loaded. have you already checked if everything is ok regarging this file and its content?

I've double checked the txtsetup.sif file and there doesn't appear to be anything out of place, all the files are referenced in there as they should be, sourced straight from a XP CD. I shouldn't be needing to edit layout.inf should I?

try here: MSFN's Unattended Windows Installation

it specifies the folder you have to use during installation so that your programs will be copied to the new installations

I was looking more for some ideas to fix the %cdname% issue as an3k rightly pointed out, as that is what the problem actually is, not the filecopying. As stated previously, Games are installed correctly (including into the Start menus) once the I386 location has been provided, but I would like something that fixes this to provide a true unattended install.

However, if all else fails, I will try and give this idea a go (decompress everything?) as a workaround. Thanks anyway for your suggestion!

i don't know but i think the problem is that you're using kinda like replacements of original layout and txtsetup. have you tried writing all of your stuff into both original files (txtsetup.sif and layout.inf)?

i don't know but i think the problem is that you're using kinda like replacements of original layout and txtsetup. have you tried writing all of your stuff into both original files (txtsetup.sif and layout.inf)?

I've tried previously editing the original layout.inf directly but keep getting error 57 about extra data expected from the catalog right after entering GUI setup, so decided to leave that alone and reference it instead, with all the new file into a new layout file. All the necessary files are added to txtsetup.sif, sourced straight from the XP CD txtsetup.sif.

Why not just put:

;WINNT.SIF
[Components]
Games = On

after you edited sysoc.inf and copied the right files on cd?

I will try this, and tell you how it goes. I would have expected them to be "on" by default? :unsure:

EDIT: Have just tested this, and it still produces the same error at T25, with same file request.

Added to WINNT.SIF:

[Components]
games = on
freecell = on
hearts = on
minesweeper = on
pinball = on
solitaire = on
spider = on
zonegames = on

Edited by Kjhe