Need some directions.

artofme

Now that I have grown somewhat confident using Nlite, I'd like set up a Virtual Machine to test my newly created software.

I have been browsing the internet a little and have learned of 3 different VM's. Namely VMWare, MS Virtual Machine 2k7 and VirtualBox (GNU).

Having no previous experience with running this kind of software, I'd love some pointers as to what software is recommended.

Also, I have no intentions of paying my way out of this situation, as I'm only going to use it for private and limited purposes.

So...what kind of Virtual Machine do you guys use for testing software ?

Thanks in advance :)

I have been browsing the internet a little and have learned of 3 different VM's. Namely VMWare, MS Virtual Machine 2k7 and VirtualBox (GNU).

I have no intentions of paying my way out of this situation

VirtualBox is free, the two others have free trial versions. I think.

Yup, that's what I thought. That's why I'm leaning towards VirtualBox already and if no warnings pop up in here, I'm gonna go with that.

Just wanted to be sure before I spend a few hours learning how to set it up, configure, etc...

And in regards of my statement about not wanting to spend money, I might reconsider if everyone starts yelling at me to buy something better than VirtualBox ;)

Edited by artofme

artofme, I have never heard of MS Virtual Machine 2k7, but MS offers VirtualPC which is free. VirtualBox is from Sun. VMware Server is also free but huge (almost 600 MB). I use VMware Server because I am running XP x64 and at the time it was the only free one I could find that supported it as a host and guest - understand VirtualBox now supports x64, but have not tried it. I have not used the other two I know about, but I understand they are rather small (around 35-40 MB). Do some searching on VirtualBox and VirtualPC and see what you find. Enjoy, John.