[Release] Nero Lite v9.2.6.0

mara-

The official Nero forum is flooded with users complaining about installation issues with Nero 9...

Any chance that you make a "macro" version that (optionally) includes "Nero Vision" and all its templates?

The official Nero forum is flooded with users complaining about installation issues with Nero 9...

Any chance that you make a "macro" version that (optionally) includes "Nero Vision" and all its templates?

We'll see about that. This will require more time, since I need to see which file are necessary and which registry entries are written. BTW, what error are you getting with original Nero installer? I never had any problem. Even if I had, I used General Clean tool and everything worked fine. Try to use General Clean Tool more then once. Even if Nero is not detected by the tool, just run it, select check box "Clean all" and do cleaning.

Cheers ;)

Nero 9 have a very 'interesting' way of installing files. Thats why im having problems with NAR. And I havent tested your new version mara, but your last version installed a bunch of extra uninstall links (which dont work). There is suposto be only one link.

34486xc.jpg

What do you think when you say 'interesting'?

I noticed once those uninstall entries (but I thought they appeared because some of my manual entries applied when I was doing tests), but I reduced written registry entries with Micro version, and I think that those removed entries were causing the problem. Lite version still has it. I have one question for you. I'll PM you.

Cheers ;)

Removing UPX compression (if any; see Shannon Limit) and all runtimes (they are usually installed separately; just say, "requires such and such") is a good way to reduce installer size.

That's my suggestion for shrinking it if you haven't done that already.

All runtimes are removed. I don't understand this with UPX compression. Why I would not use it?

OK boys and girls. You have a chance to do good and help a newb! :P

Now that I created the file RunOnceNero9_addon.7z - how can I use it with nLite to make a XP installation disk?

If you created the addon correctly just add it on Hotfix page of nLite.

Cheers ;)

Removing UPX compression (if any; see Shannon Limit) and all runtimes (they are usually installed separately; just say, "requires such and such") is a good way to reduce installer size.

That's my suggestion for shrinking it if you haven't done that already.

All runtimes are removed. I don't understand this with UPX compression. Why I would not use it?

OK boys and girls. You have a chance to do good and help a newb! :P

Now that I created the file RunOnceNero9_addon.7z - how can I use it with nLite to make a XP installation disk?

If you created the addon correctly just add it on Hotfix page of nLite.

Cheers ;)

I'll try it in about 10 minutes :) Thanks!

Well to start, if you take a look at v7.x and v8.x micro releases on updatepack.nl, you'll notice that none files in the installer are UPX compressed. The reason for this is the "Shannon Limit" (see link in my previous post for further reading). It's the same reason why an MP3 doesn't compress very much, however, a text file of the same size might have an enormous compression rate. Compressed files, no matter the degree of compression, don't compress well a second time.

You can test this yourself. Take your Nero.exe file (or any file that can be UPX compressed) and UPX compress it, and then try sending it to your favorite archiving program (e.g., 7zip) with the highest compression rate settings. Then do the same thing without UPX compression. I can guarantee you that the one without UPX compression will yield a smaller archive size.

Your installer might have a method for UPX compressing files post-install.

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

sorry mara..are you going to make a spanish version¿

i need it :S

I'm working on it. Please be patient.

Well to start, if you take a look at v7.x and v8.x micro releases on updatepack.nl, you'll notice that none files in the installer are UPX compressed. The reason for this is the "Shannon Limit" (see link in my previous post for further reading). It's the same reason why an MP3 doesn't compress very much, however, a text file of the same size might have an enormous compression rate. Compressed files, no matter the degree of compression, don't compress well a second time.

You can test this yourself. Take your Nero.exe file (or any file that can be UPX compressed) and UPX compress it, and then try sending it to your favorite archiving program (e.g., 7zip) with the highest compression rate settings. Then do the same thing without UPX compression. I can guarantee you that the one without UPX compression will yield a smaller archive size.

Your installer might have a method for UPX compressing files post-install.

OK, thanks for explanation.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-