nLiting Windows XP 64bit SP2

ijwcomp

Hello...

I recently bought a new computer with 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad and was told that Windows XP 32bit cannot recognize all 4GB of the RAM I installed.

So I got Windows XP Professional 64bit.

I want to nLite Windows XP Professional 64bit so I can install it without it prompting me and me searching all my discs for programs.

I have nLited Windows XP Professional 32bit but am unsure of any special requirements to nLite Windows XP 64bit.

The computer I want to use to slipstream SP2 etc.. is my Server 2003 32bit.

Update pack: 5eraph's post-SP2 Update Pack v2008-11_2 (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400)

Is there any special requirements, special instructions that I have to follow when nLiting Windows XP Professional 64bit that is different than Windows XP 321bit?

Can I slipstream 64bit Windows on my 32bit Server 03?

Is there DirectX, .NET Framework, WMP11, IE7 addons for Windows XP 64bit or can I use addons that are for 32bit Windows?

Thanks...

.NET is supported with 32 and 64bit as is, thinking of 3.5sp1 package.

There's x64 version of directx, wmp11, ie7 etc. if you install IE-x64 you install both 32 and 64bit IE, which is kind of typically the reason why x64 software takes more space.

I run x64 here and use it for gaming a lot, its awesome...

you could slipstream x64 in 32bit os, but not always, its a pain to explain, its been done before on forum however.

Easy answear, NO, advanced yes.

It's very easy and fun, currently i got 800mb of silent installers, none of which are any program per se, just kind of "support" software, such as directx, .net, java, etc. I run just about only portable programs mainly, gimp, firefox etc, cutting install time measurably.

Take a look at kurts thread, page 1 and read the xp-run1.bat approach or what he called it.

Thanks TranceEnergy...

"you could slipstream x64 in 32bit os, but not always, its a pain to explain, its been done before on forum however.

Easy answer, NO, advanced yes."

I managed to get Windows XP 64bit slipstreamed with Service Pack 2 thanks to a friend that had Vista x64....

If I want to add addons/update packs like 5eraph's post-SP2 Update Pack v2008-11_2 (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400) do I need to use a 64bit OS as well?

I would assume so. I actually dont know for sure 100% since i've never used it.

I just figured at one time that why am i not updating every file of my os, even tho how remote the chance is i need the updated file version?

Looking into what's going on when i start a program with utils like ProcessMonitor, i was no longer in doubt.

Hence i went forth and created a list which sets out to accomplish that, update everything natively existing in xp x64 with sp2.

While it's a lot of updates, the satisfaction it brought me is just great. I'm literally on the edge of the latest version of xp x64 sp2, in just about every way.

as long as you don't want to use a MUI pack or change ProgramFilesDir, x64 should not give you any headache.

Changing programfiles folder isnt a problem either. What MUI you speak of i dont know so cant comment on that.

post-91607-1229394717_thumb.jpg

Edited by TranceEnergy

Well it's a slight bit complicated, meaning it takes a few steps to be certain it's 100% properly applied.

Even just xp 32bit changing from default "program files" to f.example "myprogs" isnt really properly applied. So i just want to say the bashing on the xp x64bit in this regard is unjust and uncalled for. Seeing as 32bit xp is no better, meaning custom folder name isnt properly registered anyway.

1. Make your nlited iso as per usual. After nliting it, Copy "winnt.sif" file from the iso's\nlited folder - amd64 directory.

2.Edit the copied winnt.sif so it reads:

ProgramFilesDir="\PF64"

CommonProgramFilesDir="\PF64\CF"

ProgramFilesDir(x86)="\PF32"

CommonProgramFilesDir(x86)="\PF32\CF"

under [unattended] column

Then make a copy of the edited winnt.sif while which you will KEEP FOREVER, assuming you dont need to change your unattended settings etc.

Note: When im done making a new x64 xp cd for myself, i always use same preset, so i just click ahead unattended, and replace with my optimized winnt.sif file.

3. We are not done yet, depending on what programs you have removed/not removed, there are still registry entries to be changed. I've never seen anyone adress this, which lead me to write this post :

4. http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6707

I will perhaps just rewrite that ryanvm post, because while i thought it seemed fairly obvious how great it was, it received no attention at all.

The point with modifying the registry entries is of course to make the install error-free. Meaning you wont get errors with ccleaner etc, which could lead to unusuable outlook express or IE, worst case scenario. That is doubtful, but i really recommend one pursue doing the registry changes as well. It's a 1 time thing anyway, you wont have to do it again.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Hello again,

Thanks John for the link to Kurt's thread which TranceEnergy mentioned...

Thanks to TranceEnergy for the clarification and for reminding me that there's two Program Files folder in XP x64.. :blushing:

I have installed Windows XP 64bit onto my new system and updated it to SP2, IE7, .NET 3.5 and WMP11 for the moment... so I can use nLite to slipstream SP2, IE7 etc.. onto the Windows XP x64 Setup Files...

I use the already installed Windows XP to test all the programs before adding it into the nLited CD...

So far I have encountered three problems:

1. TP-Link TL-WN620G Wireless Network driver - there's no driver (or I can't find any) that works with Windows XP 64bit.. Surprisingly, it supports Windows Vista 64bit but says nothing about XP x64..

2. iTunes 8 - it says on the 32bit version of the installer that it is recommended to install a 64bit version of iTunes. The only one I found on the iTunes website is the 64bit version for Vista. I need it for my iPod and I do like the cover flow feature of iTunes..

3. Two Program Files - I usually put some programs that don't require installing into the Program Files folder. Usually I do this by putting it in the $OEM$\$Progs folder. There's two Program Files and I don't know if it will work or not... $Progs should refer to the Program Files x86 but what about the Program Files x64..

ijwcomp, I really like my x64 system, but finding drivers can be a real problem. Perhaps TranceEnergy can help you - seems like he said you could use Vista drivers under certain conditions. When I first built my system (about 3 years ago), I DLed and installed QuickTime and iTunes. They never worked right and iTunes messed up my Optical drive detection. When Apple released an update for QT, when I DLed it, it said not valid OS (or whatever). Apple does no support 64 bit XP. Just another little quirk of our OS. It does not bother me because I have run fine without QT and I don't have an iPod or visit iTunes for any reason. There are certainly alternates to QT and may be one for iTunes. Search the web and see what you can fine .TranceEnergy may be able to help here also. I have used the $OEM$ folder to place several files but not in the Program Files folders. I suggest you get a virtual system to test your ISOs and you can tell us what happens. Enjoy, John.

To see if you can use the vista driver.. extract it to desktop.

Goto device manager, select your network adapter/controller, right click /update driver.

Select install from list or *specified* location.

From there browse to the extracted driver to \Desktop\2007116174835\Vista\Driver Files\X64

I dont think it could work in this case tho, i read nt6.0, xp x64 is 5.2

But i just quickly looked. Try any of the other folders as well.

If all fails, fear not, in many cases network controllers are built on same chipsets. MEANING you might as well use a different manufacturer's driver.

Only way to figure it out is to try. As i dont have the hardware you got, you're mostly on your own.

I cant find the proper link atm, but somewhere at:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/

It should possible provide you with the other information you need.

In case it does NOT, you could relay that to the author of that thread, or post a new topic asking for such information to be added, if it exists even, but im sure it does.

hmm i found it, http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/18/

It doesnt say anything about x64 counterpart. It ought to say in the resource kit for 2003 x64 tho.

ijwcomp, TranceEnergy has a good idea with the looking for a card with the same chip. I found my NIC driver at the chip manufacturer's site. Another idea is to get a new card. I took a quick look on Newegg and found one right off the bat for $17 from Gigabyte that has x64 support. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I tried an install experiment with the $Progs folder and the file inside went into the Program Files folder. I also tried $Progs (x86) and it went nowhere. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

ijwcomp, I ran another experiment putting a folder named $1 in the $OEM$ folder. Inside the $1 folder, I put a folder named Program Files (x86) and placed a file in it. The file was in the C:\Program Files (x86) along with all the other files when the install was complete. Enjoy, John.

Thanks John for the $1 in OEM folders tip..

TranceEnergy, where is the Resource Kit for 2003 x64 because I couldn't find them on Google..

Anyway, I got iTunes to work by:

- Install GEAR Drivers for XP x64

- Install QT (download from website, the one in the iTunes setup didn't work)

- Extracted the iTunes setup package

- Installed all the iTunes components (Bonjour, Apple Mobile Devices etc..)

- Use Orca to change iTunes's .msi file from NT6.0 to NT5.2

- Install iTunes

I don't know if it works with iPods, iPhones etc.. though.. my brother just took my iPod for a holiday.. :realmad:

Confirmed.. It does work!

It works with CD's and DVD's though :rolleyes:

My processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz) doesn't support Intel VT which I found to my surprise when I couldn't use a 64bit guest on VMWare Workstation. Is there an alternate program that doesn't need Intel VT to run a x64 guest or do I have to resort to dual-booting and waste a DVD to test my nLited OS?

I also tried using the Vista x64 drivers but it didn't work. Wonder if my other USB wireless works...

Also, I just realized that the Windows Media Player Mini-player (the one that goes in your taskbar when you minimize WMP) is missing. I would really like it back, any tips how to get it back?

Edited by ijwcomp