can't uninstall NTFS

sweetslotz

I have a Toshiba satellite A105 laptop. It crashed, I tried to do a clean install and the setup keeps hanging up @34%. So I re-partitioned & reformated (several times) and the NTFS system is still there it goes right back where the install left off and hangs @34 %. How can I completely remove the system from the computer and start over. Also since it is wireless should I use large on the partition or not.....oh and windows xp keeps setting my hard drive as 1 instead of C: when it partitions it.please help me :angry:

Why do u not want to use ntfs? Your explanation is a bit hard to understand, but sounds like you may have "hidden" system recovery partition. Typically found in laptops with operating system already installed, by manufacturer. Ie lenovo software bloat, toshiba, acer etc.

I am trying to totally remove winxp from my computer because it crashed and would not do a repair. I reformatted and let winxp setup partition it so it installed up to the point of 39% then stopped and hung up @ 34%, so apparently when it partioned and reformated it never removed the old system . It is showing my hard drive is 1 not C, so I went thru the whole process again and when I try to do another clean install it goes right back to the 39% install and hangs @ 34%. It is not letting me too a totally clean install, the old system is still on there and I can't remove it.

:realmad:

Assumptions:

1 - you are booting from a CD (an actual XP CD, not a Restore CD)

2 - you are deleting all existing partitions first

3 - you are creating a new partition and not formatting an old one

4 - you are formatting the new partition

If the above is true, then there should be no problem.

FYI, re-read TranceEnergy's comment about a "hidden" partition. I don't know about the Notebook thing, but check your documentationas per whether it's ACPI-compliant. This should be selected during Clean Install when the "Press F6" message comes up (press F5 instead and select the correct HAL).

Try describing step-by-step all info regarding the partitioning/formatting. You must be doing something wrong.

"Toshiba Satellite® A105 Notebook Series Offers Balanced Portability and Perfomance with Wide Range of Options.

15.4-inch Diagonal Widescreen Notebooks Start Under $900; Select Models Offer Intel Core™ Duo or Solo Processors, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center.

IRVINE, Calif., (March 28, 2006) — Toshiba’s Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced the latest Satellite® A105 Series notebooks, offering consumers a wide range of options, from a sub-$9001 notebook to systems incorporating the Intel® Core™ Duo or Intel Core Solo processors2 and Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center for enhanced multimedia performance and management."

One must assume that it probably has a hidden partition. What are you trying to re-install from (see above assumptions)?

Edited by submix8c

This toshiba laptop has a duo processor also. Here's what I did like 4 x. I booted using the original win98 cd repartitioned, deleted all dos and non dos partitions, then formated. Then I rebooted with winxp original cd, it went thru the process of a clean install, it partitioned and formated then started the install then it restarted as normal during the install it showed 39% remaining on the install then it stopped and hung up @34% and would not go any further.

Instead of the F6 I did push F5, there was only one option there 486 so I choice it, If I dont F5 it the setup stops on reboot with an error message windows has stopped to avoid damage etc with the famous windows error code 0x0000007E, which windows shows has something to do with sp3, then a pci error code shows, so I have to push F5 in order for the install to work. So since it kept hanging @ 34% after several tries, I repartioned and reformated again

same problem except it doesn't let me do a clean install, it ask if I want to repair or install, I have tried both neither work, it goes directly to setup page starting 39% remaining and hanging up @ 34%....so evidently this process is not removing all the files or system from this computer....and why is winxp setting up my drive as 1 instead of c ?

:wacko:

This toshiba laptop has a duo processor also. Here's what I did like 4 x. I booted using the original win98 cd repartitioned, deleted all dos and non dos partitions, then formated. Then I rebooted with winxp original cd, it went thru the process of a clean install, it partitioned and formated then started the install then it restarted as normal during the install it showed 39% remaining on the install then it stopped and hung up @34% and would not go any further.

Instead of the F6 I did push F5, there was only one option there 486 so I choice it, If I dont F5 it the setup stops on reboot with an error message windows has stopped to avoid damage etc with the famous windows error code 0x0000007E, which windows shows has something to do with sp3, then a pci error code shows, so I have to push F5 in order for the install to work. So since it kept hanging @ 34% after several tries, I repartioned and reformated again

same problem except it doesn't let me do a clean install, it ask if I want to repair or install, I have tried both neither work, it goes directly to setup page starting 39% remaining and hanging up @ 34%....so evidently this process is not removing all the files or system from this computer....and why is winxp setting up my drive as 1 instead of c ?

:wacko:

I have a Toshiba satellite A105 laptop. It crashed

What was the symptom of that crash ?

Your HDD might be dying and stop behaving correctly when the 34th % are written. Do a complete format rather than a quick format.

Also I don't understand why you use a Win98 AND a WinXP cd for the partitionning bit, but that is irrelevant to your problem.

<snip>has a duo processor also<snip>

<snip>orignal win98 cd repartitioned, deleted all dos and non dos partitions, then formated<snip>

<snip>rebooted with winxp original cd<snip snip>it partitioned and formated<snip>

<snip>Instead of the F6 I did push F5, there was only one option there 486 so I choice it <snip>

<snip>and why is winxp setting up my drive as 1 instead of c ?

1 - If using a win98 cd to delete partitions, fine, but don't create new ones with it. Just reboot into the XP CD.

2 - When you use F5 don't select 486, try selecting ACPI (not the multi-processor - that's for more than one CPU; multi-core is a single CPU)

3 - Let the XP CD tell you it needs space to install to, and select Unpartitioned Space and Format.

4 - Try the install again! <-(edited here - not a "dude", DUH! - sorry, Barb)

The above should work (even using the XP cd alone, when asked where to install). And, BTW, Partition #1 is the C-drive (same-o, same-o). Otherwise, you may very well have a bad drive in which case after the Partition/Format step you may want to reboot to the Recovery Console and run "Chkdsk /F", reboot, do step#2, and in step#3 select the existing partition. And, I might add that the Win98 Boot may not "see" the "hidden" partition, in whch case you may need some kind of Partitioning software (there are freeware ones) to get rid of it.

Edited by submix8c

it crashed after installing sp3 update, then it wouldn't go into safemode or repair . During the re-intall when I selected F5 it only gives me 2 options 486 and other, I have also chose other and it goes back to the install screen and then the blue windows shutdown screen with the windows error code 7E. It has to be the hidden partition that has some corrupted files in it but I can't figure out how to find that hidden partition.

OK, this confuses me...

Here are the options when you (at least for me) press F5 -

- ACPI Multiprocessor PC

- ACPI Uniprocessor PC

- Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC <-this one usuallly works

- Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

- MPS Uniprocessor PC

- MPS Multiprocessor PC

- Standard PC

- Standard PC with C-Step i486

- Other

Where the frack did your CD come from that the other HAL options are missing? You do realize that there's a scroll bar to the right, yes? Maybe you just haven't scrolled to see them all (you indicate only seeing the last two)? I don't want to go into the details of what all the options mean (HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer) because it should be unnecessary.

As for the hidden partition, you may very well be attempting to boot into it (that can happen) by default since you claim to have "blown away" the Primary partition. Note that the "hidden parition" may show as the first partition. Manufacturers usually install a Recovery Partition (the "hidden" one) then pull a "stunt" to flip/flop the C/D-drive so that the Running Partition is now the C.

Again, if you don't have the Full Install cd (OEM or Retail and NOT Upgrade) then you may be in for a surprise. I assume you have one because you have the F5 option available.

Try again (using the scroll) using instructions previously given.

hmm you r right I never have noticed a scroll bar on that option and it only showed the last 2 options...and I have the original winxp cd. as far as hidden partition I have found out that it does have one and that evidently is the problem. I download a program called GParted and it works great, it showed the hidden partition and that it was a fat 16 and ran a test on it and it showed to be damaged, so I repartitioned it. I am now doing acheck of the whole drive to be sure that all is well before I attempt to do a clean install of XP. Thanks so much for all the help eveyone....this Gparted is a cool program it does alot of stuff, and is very helpful. Ty once again. I'll let ya know if this works lol and I will certainly look for the scroll! Thanks Barb :thumbup