Is it a noraml that XP machine face performance issues ?

Hem_UK

Hiya friends,

Is it really normal that XP have permanent performance issues ? I am not sure but I searched in search engines on how possible reasons and resolution on performance issue. I am using XP from last couple of years and now its become my habit so I am not willing to change my OS. I have important data, saved forms, passwords, applications in current machine which I do not want to mess up only due to OS issues. I am facing tooo many issues with XP now a days, is it because that my OS installation become older now ? or there are common issues with XP ? in following link they have mentioned to turn off printer sharing, clear disk, clear start up programs etc...does that make any sense ?

http://www.host.co.in/forums/f37/windows-x...oting-slow-851/

and

http://kadaitcha.cx/performance.html

and many more links...but I dont understand it... :angry:

I searched several such forums but no one satisfied me

You have to think at an OS installation (and expecially at a Windows one) as something similar to a car.

Even if it's still running after two years, you need to:

1) clean the air filter

2) clean the spark plugs

etc., etc.

Most of the problems in an old install are basically due to the Registry getting clogged with installed applications (poorly uninstalled by poorly designed installers) and what not.

As well the disk may be heavily fragmented.

First things to do:

get ERUNT here:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

and use it to backup your Registry

Then get Regseeker:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

and use it to clean the Registry from unneeded entries

(you will need to make several passes)

Backup again with Erunt.

Try using another good Registry cleaner, such as:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Backup again with Erunt.

You should see a definite decrease of the Registry size (just compare first with last backup) and the feeling of the XP running faster/smoother.

Check if you have still installed anything that you don't really need, and uninstall it (and then repeat the steps above)

Check your drives for fragmentation, normally built in DEFRAG is good enough or use Ultradefrag, JKdefrag or similar freewares.

jaclaz

Thanks a lot jaclaz for your prompt response and attention :rolleyes:

1) clean the air filter

2) clean the spark plugs

does this really affect machine performance, my machine is very clean and I have a AC in my office/home.

you suggested OS reinstallation, but what about my current data, saved setting etc...will it be lost after I reinstall OS ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Hem_UK

1) clean the air filter

2) clean the spark plugs

does this really affect machine performance, my machine is very clean and I have a AC in my office/home.

No, it was just a (evidently ill chosen :ph34r: ) comparison with the concept of things that need maintenance after a period of use.

There is no air filter nor a spark plug in a PC, so it would be difficult to clean them. :whistle:

you suggested OS reinstallation, but what about my current data, saved setting etc...will it be lost after I reinstall OS ?

NO :w00t:, I DID NOT suggest OS reinstallation, quite the opposite, I showed you some basic MAINTENANCE steps needed to KEEP your current installation and hopefully have it running more smoothly.

jaclaz

1) clean the air filter

2) clean the spark plugs

Thanks in advance

He did not mean that you clean your PC box (he just compared Windows with car), although that is important too. When he said to clean the system he meant on removing unnecessary stuff from your computer. Just use the tools he recommended. I could also suggest a one tool that will greatly improve your PC Performance. The tool is called Advanced SystemCare Personal. Install it and optimize/clean your computer with it.

Cheers ;)

I've never found the need to clean the registry in XP as I did in 9x systems, but I have found that almost everyone complaining of slow XP systems either has a million unnecessary things running at boot (either in the taskbar or as services, startup items, etc), and drives are heavily fragmented.

Defrag and use autoruns to disable / remove anything you don't deem necessary before monkeying with the registry :).

I've never found the need to clean the registry in XP as I did in 9x systems, but I have found that almost everyone complaining of slow XP systems either has a million unnecessary things running at boot (either in the taskbar or as services, startup items, etc), and drives are heavily fragmented.

Exact same thing here. But another thing that tends to slow systems down quite a bit over time and that always gets overlooked is the amount of fonts installed... But just the startup processes & useless tray icons + defragging (and removing malware if there's any) should already do wonders.

You need to do a fresh install. Your OS has collected alot of junk over the years from installs, re-installs, updates from Microsoft on top of each other.... etc.

Any solutions here will improve the performance, but not as much as a clean install of the system.

Begin to back up everything.

You have alot of stuff, so I would begin by organizing everything and make a list of what you want to keep.

Bookmarks, important files, passwords... etc.

I searched several such forums but no one satisfied me

We have lots of people visiting MSFN. I'm sure you can find someone that can satisfy you.

Edited by weEvil

Yes, you can reinstall without losing anything but it's a special way to do it, so don't bother with that just yet.

And hogwash on the "fresh install". Been running my system for three years+ and not a whimper of performance issues and loads of other software installed. You mainly get performance hits when you have too many applications and services running simultaneously (ref. cluberti's comments).

I would suggest that perhaps you have some "stuff" on your PC that shouldn't be there (e.g. spyware/adware/viruses/trojans/etc.). Look in the "Malware Prevention and Security" forum for suggested tips to get rid of any potentials. That kind of junk may be hidden from you and clog performance. Just check with Ctl+Alt+Del and check that Task Manager for flakey-looking stuff!

(this is in addition to cluberti's suggestions)

And hogwash on the "fresh install". Been running my system for three years+ and not a whimper of performance issues and loads of other software installed. You mainly get performance hits when you have too many applications and services running simultaneously (ref. cluberti's comments).

There's a difference between you and the OP. Who knows how much junk his system is littered with. It hasn't been maintained in years.

I do computer tune-ups for a living and have for many, many years.

NO, reinstalling windows (any version) is NOT even an option 99.99% of the time.

So what to do? I know people hate me when I say "Clean up your mess!"

but that's exactly what has to be done.

Shutting down all those redundant programs that load into your Startup folder

every time you update Adobe Reader or Real Player, etc. can really slow down any

PC, so it's mandatory to go into "MSCONFIG, the Startup tab" and uncheck every

program not absolutely needed to run your PC. Then APPLY the changes and reboot the PC.

That will seriously limit the number of things running in the background and sapping your PC's performance.

Then in Add/Remove programs, in your Control Panel, de-install all those old programs that you no longer need.

Also get rid of all those demo's, trials and games that came with the PC.

Finally, running Windows own "Disk Cleanup" (which almost NO-ONE ever does) goes a long ways toward getting rid of garbage files off of your HD.

In Disk Cleanup, check to remove everything but "Setup Log" files.

Follow that up with a Defrag of the C: drive.

Both of those Windows programs are found in:

C:\Program Files\Accessories\System Tools

There's a lot more, but without downloading or buying any programs, that's a good place to start.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

B)

There's a difference between you and the OP. Who knows how much junk his system is littered with. It hasn't been maintained in years.

And that's why people come here for help. Telling someone to reformat to fix things, unless that's the only way, doesn't teach people anything. Try to add some value if you can, people *do* come here to learn more.

As Jaclaz said early up , clean the registry to begin with .. ive used ccleaner on some machines runnin MCE and you will be shocked of the actually difference in performance .. If not then i guess u can really check the spark plugs and flanges , lol

but defrag and ccleaner does most of the work for me , note that u usally have to run them multiple times

As Jaclaz said early up , clean the registry to begin with ....

If I may, ;) Jaclaz said a slightly different thing, he said to clean the Registry AFTER having made a BACKUP of it, as it is possible (though it does not happen often) that a too aggressive cleaning "ruins" something.... :ph34r:

jaclaz