Windows 7 RTM Programs Compatibility List

spacesurfer

Hey, has anyone tested many games on Win 7??? It would be good to see if it maintained exact compatibility with games that ran on Vista and hopefully even better than that. I have seen some pretty old games run good on Win 7, but wanted to hear some other people's experiences.

• 1 month later...
Guest NotSoN00b

adobe photoshop CS4 works

Winrar latest works

nlite works

google chrome works

ultra iso works

img burn works

reshack works

autoplay media studio 7.0 works as well as 7.5

xn resource editor works

k-lite mega codec pack works (thank god lol)

avast! latest works

utorrent works

bittorrent works

warez (torrent program) works

resedit works

kaspersky 2009 works

panda antivirus works

thats all for now :thumbup

Easy CD-DA Extractor

Which version?

I have Easy CD-DA Extractor v11 and although it installs, it won't start under Windows 7 Ultimate Final (tried it on both x86 and x64 as well) ... it bombs out with a message saying that the program is not working, do I want to check for a solution online or just close the program (basically the normal message that you get when a program crashes)

Edited by woody.cool

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a Microsoft Office 97 Pro install? Please stop laughing, I have a ton of databases in Access, and let me know...I can't buy a new computer til I'm assured it'll go. Thanks for all the other programs listed; very helpful.

Yes - all of the Office 97 applications will run properly on Windows 7 in compatibility mode except one, Outlook 97. It will not run on Windows 7 properly, no matter what you do. If you need Outlook, you'll need at least Outlook 2000 (and even then, it takes some hacking to make it work). Basically, if you're going to be running Office 97, consider running a Windows 7 version that includes the XP Mode Virtual Machine, where you can install and run your Office 97 applications.

Hey, has anyone tested many games on Win 7???

Yes, so far every game I've tried (about 30 or so) has ran flawlessly on Windows 7 x64. Some of these are from 1998-2001.

The only exception is Chaser. It won't run on Windows 7 at all, even x86.

It also won't run in XP Mode (no surprise there) or compatibility mode.

Hey, has anyone tested many games on Win 7??? It would be good to see if it maintained exact compatibility with games that ran on Vista and hopefully even better than that. I have seen some pretty old games run good on Win 7, but wanted to hear some other people's experiences.

Microsoft Zoo Tycoon works.

Microsoft Pinball (w98/w2k/wxp) works.

Quake III Arena works.

Microsoft Fury3x (w9x) doesn't work well.

Rise of Nations works well.

• 2 months later...

My previous posts on this matter got purged somehow, so I'm repeating myself here because I need clarity, as the only trial version I've found so far is the

Enterprise[professional] version, so now I have to scramble around to find a boot drive to test these responses on.

What about MS Office 2000? Does it work?

Answer to self: Successfully installed and ran MS Office 2000 in the RC.

Are we talking the 'right-click,properties method, & not using VM?

From here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...sion-of-Windows

To change compatibility settings manually for a program, right-click the icon for the program, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility tab.

Can't find anything similar for W7.

A search led to this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...mp;prd=Windows7

then when I did a specific search on Office '97 and Office 2000 Pro

This is what I get

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...%20professional

which points to

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101674091033.aspx

Expensive and to me unnecessary, then there's that annoying activation nonsense!

Has anyone tried a Microsoft Office 97 Pro install? Please stop laughing, I have a ton of databases in Access, and let me know...I can't buy a new computer til I'm assured it'll go. Thanks for all the other programs listed; very helpful.

Like you I have a slab of databases stored on LS100 removable drives,as for outlook, I've always eliminated that as I've preferred Mozilla and other third party organisers.

Yes - all of the Office 97 applications will run properly on Windows 7 in compatibility mode except one, Outlook 97. It will not run on Windows 7 properly, no matter what you do. If you need Outlook, you'll need at least Outlook 2000 (and even then, it takes some hacking to make it work). Basically, if you're going to be running Office 97, consider running a Windows 7 version that includes the XP Mode Virtual Machine, where you can install and run your Office 97 applications.

Looks like the only way to go on a budget is to grab Starter from Staples.ca and set up a dual boot with W2kP[or XP if that's all you got].

Use Starter for online stuff, boot back into 2000 for the real work.....I haven't done that in a long time.

The last PIII of mine died just before buying this Asus board and it had Mandrake 6.0, W'98,W2kP and my old Atari ST and Mac stuff under Gemulator [9].

I noticed from the manual that this Asus and its' contemporaries only support 2000 or later so no more W'98 though emulation shouldn't be a problem with

version 9 of Gemulator and EmuTOS from sourceforge.

Now I need to go back to the HFSLIP subforum 'cause I see my previous posts there are gone as well.

cluberti,

I'd appreciate it if you could keep this thread open and alive, please and thank you.

:thumbup

Edited by Browncoat

• 2 weeks later...

To add to game compatibility:

MW2 works (bit slow loading times compared to XP)

COD4 works

Serious Sam HD TFE works

Torchlight works

Warcraft 3 works

CSS works

Thats all I've tested for now but won't be testing more until I put Win 7 on the main computer as I'm putting XP back on the LAN-BOX.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...