RyanVM Post-SP3 Update Pack and N-Lite

Hi all,

I want to integrate RyanVM's Post-SP3 Update Pack into my N-Lite customized Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 installation. In order for the Post-SP3 Update Pack to function correctly, Service Pack 3 has to be integrated first. RyanVM's site suggests that the Post-SP3 Update Pack be integrated with his Integrator. My question is, as the Update Pack has to be integrated after Service Pack 3 integration, how do I go about integrating the Update Pack after N-Lite has integrated Service Pack 3? Would I be best to manually integrate Service Pack 3 outside of N-Lite (using the old update.exe switches), apply the Post-SP3 Update Pack using RyanVM's integrator, and *then* boot up N-Lite?

Thanks,

Josh

You don't *have to* use RyanVM Integrator to integrate SP3. I used the update.exe switches, just be sure to integrate while running XP and not Vista. My guess is that most "slipstreamers" just use the update.exe switches but automates the process for the user.

You should make an ISO or CD with SP3 integrated, make sure it works, then keep it in a safe place so you can reuse it and not have to integrate SP3 again when you need to start all over again w/ nLite or other addons.

Yeah, N-Lite just automates the process for you. Perhaps I was unclear: I just want to know the best way to apply RyanVM's Post-SP3 Update Pack in conjunction with N-Lite. Whilst you can apply the Update Pack using N-Lite, it's not supported; they recommend you instead use RyanVM's Integrator. What I want to know is whether I should integrate SP3 the manual way, apply the Update Pack, and then load that installation source using N-Lite to do further customizations, or is there some other process?

The "best" way to do those three is a matter of opinion then.

I integrate SP3 the using update.exe switches, apply an update pack (I actually have my own SP3 update pack) using the RyanVM Integrator, then use nLite. RyanVM probably has much more control and undoubtedly access to the source for his integrator, while I doubt nuhi would let anyone else see his. nLite tries to duplicate features of RyanVM Integrator, but RyanVM can't guarantee that it will act the same or that nLite implements new features fast enough.

My update pack has to do something special for XP Home only and is in a folder called 'home', apparently nLite does not pick this up, so Home users end up with all sorts of file copy errors because nLite missed something vital. I don't make any workarounds to fix nLite's behavior.