Java versions

cannie

I use the Java 1.5.0.07, which I can install or uninstall with no probems at all, but am not able to load any version after that.

Java works perfect, but for some apps like Limewire it is neccesary to install the 1.5.0.17.

I've followed all instructions given by Sun, but no results at all.

Anybody has had this experience? How did you sort it out?

Thanks.

Edited by cannie

I use the Java 1.5.0.07, which I can install or uninstall with no probems at all, but am not able to load any version after that.

What do you see when you go here:

http://javatester.org/version.html

I'm currently using 1.6.0_07.

I thought that Sun was going to stop supporting 1.5.x at update 16, but it seems there is an update 17.

Does anyone really know the difference between the 1.5 stream and the 1.6 stream of JRE?

Is it true that any version of 1.5.x (including update 17) is "approved" for win-98, whereas 1.6.x is not?

Who here knows the real dirt about all these different versions of JRE?

I think, that Sun will be updating Java 5 because it reached EOL on October 2009:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/eol.policy.html

Yes, Java 5 is for Win98/ME and Java 6 for Windows 2000 and above.

Java 6 update 7 is the last version you can install on Win9x (they have changed/modified installer since update 10).

Btw, cannie, you have complete changelog here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html

Edited by rainyd

I've updated to JRE 5.17 without problem. I'm using the http://www.java.com website though.

I can't, using the same adress. I wonder if I may have deleted anything in my comp which is needed to use the new versions. It is strange, because the difficulty occurs not only using Windows 98 but also under XP (doubleboot).

Thank you oc_dt, rainyd and 98Guy!

Edited by cannie

I think, that Sun will be updating Java 5 because it reached EOL on October 2009:

I could have sworn that a month or two ago, that JRE-5 was EOL at the end of October *2008*. Was I wrong, or did they give JRE-5 another year of life?

So what exactly does that mean?

How will my "internet experience" or my "java experience" be different if I have a machine with JRE-5 versus JRE-6 ?????????

I could have sworn that a month or two ago, that JRE-5 was EOL at the end of October *2008*. Was I wrong, or did they give JRE-5 another year of life?

So what exactly does that mean?

How will my "internet experience" or my "java experience" be different if I have a machine with JRE-5 versus JRE-6 ?????????

I'm not sure but quite possible that they have extended period of the support.

As to the your second question: that was some sort of exaggeration from my side - of course you can install Java 5 on Windows XP/2000 but Java 6 is optimized for the newer OSes (as you know Win9x isn't supported).

From tests which I've seen, Java 6 is quite significantly faster but personally I prefer to stick with older, recently updated version (until we resolved problem with Java 6 installer).

Edited by rainyd

After reading your posts at last I came to the conclusion that my registry had been altered by a registry cleaner that I used long ago

To repair the damage the procedure has been as follows:

1.- I made a simple fresh install of Windows 98 in drive H (to be deleted afterwards), loaded Java 5.17 without any problem at all (in an external own folder D:\Java). It worked OK.

2.- I got all references in the registry concerning to the word "Java" using Registry Crawler and with them I created the text file "java.reg"

3.- I edited this file using Notepad++, to change every mention to H:\\Windows into D:\\Windows.

4.- I deleted all the newly created C:\ root files, restored my old ones and booted normally D:\Windows.

5.- I opened Registry Crawler, searched all mentions to Java in the D:\Windows registry and deleted them. Then I clicked once on "java.reg" to introduce in it the new values. Everything worked OK.

6.- Having doubleboot, I edited java.reg again to change all mentions to D:\\Windows into C:\\Windows (my XP directory) and all mentions to \\System\\ into \\System32\\.

7.- I booted Windows XP unit C:\, I opened Registry Crawler, searched all mentions to Java in the registry, deleted all, and afterwards I clicked once on "java.reg". Everything is working OK now also on XP.

The problem is over now.

Thanks to you all for your help!

Java 6 update 7 is the last version you can install on Win9x (they have changed/modified installer since update 10).

Btw, cannie, you have complete changelog here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html

@rainyd, I was wondering if you know anything else about JRE6 + Win9x? Specifically, what the heck is the last version that runs?

Maybe if you get a chance you could take a look at this thread where we started sorting this out.

I have JRE 1_6_0 on Win9x which is used by Opera (as well as others). Can't remember if I used the installer or manually did it though. I would like to know exactly which JRE is the fastest and bestest!

@rainyd, I was wondering if you know anything else about JRE6 + Win9x? Specifically, what the heck is the last version that runs?

Maybe if you get a chance you could take a look at this thread where we started sorting this out.

I have JRE 1_6_0 on Win9x which is used by Opera (as well as others). Can't remember if I used the installer or manually did it though. I would like to know exactly which JRE is the fastest and bestest!

Sorry, I've made mistake: Java 6 update 6 is the last version you can run on Win9x (they modified installer of update 7). :blushing:

You can get it from here: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/ or http://www.oldapps.com/java.htm

As to the speed: on Windows XP, Java 6 should be faster than Java 5 but I'm not sure it will happen on Win98/ME too.

Java 1.6.0 update 7 can very well be installed on 9x and the procedure has already been explained. It only takes letting the installer unpack the .msi within to the Temp folder and then run the .msi manually to install.

Make sure you copy the .msi to another location before closing the error dialog, otherwise it will be deleted.

I have u7 installed on my 98SE machine following this procedure, as the only available version of Java.

Edited by Drugwash

Java 1.6.0 update 7 can very well be installed on 9x and the procedure has already been explained. It only takes letting the installer unpack the .msi within to the Temp folder and then run the .msi manually to install.

Make sure you copy the .msi to another location before closing the error dialog, otherwise it will be deleted.

I have u7 installed on my 98SE machine following this procedure, as the only available version of Java.

OK, Drugwash, thank you for the info. :)

BTW I wonder, if the update is valid for W98 and we are really being compelled to abandon it and buy new soft/hardware, what confidence may we have it the content of the update itself? Maybe the prevailing interest in the "improvements" which are introduced in this "freeware" is not exactly a better service to the user.

Yeah, I was wondering which is the latest that will run, not install.

So, to be clear, you are successful with JRE 1_6_7 then? I wonder if anyone has pushed it further.

I believe there is reason to explore this on Win9x because I think I noticed speed improvements with 1_6_0 over my previous 1_5_something.

But, then again I could be wrong. SWF has certainly gotten bloated and slower lately.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot