Teacher Bans Linux..says its illegal and immoral

Guest ‡*¶‡�õ�

Guest ‡*¶‡�õ�
A US school teacher has taken the somewhat stupid step of throwing the open sauce operating system Linux out of her classroom.

The teacher got her knickers in a twist when one of her students, Aaron was seen giving away free discs for the HeliOS Linux distribution and showing his mates how it worked on his laptop.

Her reaction was as though the boy was peddling drugs. The unnamed teacher apparently believed that anything that wasn't Windows was illegal and immoral. She confiscated the discs and put him on detention.

...more

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/9...cher-bans-linux

Mr. Starks, I along with many others tried Linux during college and I assure you, the claims you make are grossly over-stated and hinge on falsehoods. I admire your attempts in getting computers in the hands of disadvantaged people but putting linux on these machines is holding our kids back.

I really have to wonder what else they tried out in college. *cough* *cough*

oh and here is the source of all of that:

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linu...-kids-back.html

have a good laugh at the stupidity.

Edited by bj-kaiser

and put him on detention.

Not fair! Linux is already enough of a punishment :P

And today's bug:

ubuntufailfe7.th.png

Yep, eth0 doesn't exist (yet, it's there, it has valid settings and it even half works!)

now that raises the questions: "what did you do?" and "did you report it or confirmed a report of that bug?"

Since you seem to be sort of anti-FUD (when it comes to Vista at least, according to your signature) you should have some answers on those, dont you think?

quick edit: yes, I know this is getting OT here

Edited by bj-kaiser

"what did you do?"

I installed Windows -- problem solved! I get tired of fighting with it to get basic hardware and functions working, that Just Works™ under Windows.

"did you report it or confirmed a report of that bug?"

There's hundreds of hits for that on Google so it's sort of well-known, there's also several bug reports already filled like here. Besides, Ubuntu's network manager has always been kind of ghetto (lots of people using wicd instead and such).

I wish I could say I'm making this stuff up, and there's plenty more where that came from unfortunately. And BTW, I also point out Windows shortcomings too.

Edited by crahak

Hey peeps, :) this thread is about the evident stupidity of a teacher.

Are you wishing to prove that she is not that stupid by reaching higher levels of it starting yet another Linux vs. Windows flame war? :unsure:

jaclaz

I had already read these news some time ago, at the time I went to the OS site to read more about it but didn't caught much more of my attention.

Yep, eth0 doesn't exist (yet, it's there, it has valid settings and it even half works!)

Yes, today's bug and solved within hours..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6385463

It seems to occur when you have a set of definitions made previously for a specific NIC and network manager will use them while ignoring the one that is real and active on the system.

The OS remains independent from this bug in the UI tool which can be solved today by using another tool as you mentioned or wait for the next update (hasn't it been fixed yet already?).

On my work machine I use two NIC for different networks (office & internet) and didn't noticed any differences with all updates installed, things kept working as expected.

No need to worry about WGA to keep my system up to date.

:)

Edited by Nuno Brito