can't install

hermit

error is source file f:office1.cab not found

but i knew the file is there.....explorer can open it, my friend used the disc

m$ has an article about it on their site, but i need a solution to it

don't have room on my hd to make another copy

It seems the only option is to copy the entire contents of the disc to a folder on your hard drive and run setup from there.I know you say you are short of hard drive space,could you temporarily uninstall some programs to free up space?

Once you have run the office setup from your hard drive you can delete the folder you created and reinstall your other programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q299774

That or install it from a network. I think this can be done, but I am unsure. Other than that, get another copy from wherever and try it.

Big Booger.

Or you could copy the one file you need to your HDD. When it asks for the file during your install from the disk, point it to the folder on your HDD where you copied it to.

Big Booger

Anyway, the install failed consistently with Error 1311, cannot find E:Office1.cab. But that file was clearly on the CD. Instead of diving in the MS Knowledgebase, I grabbed the phone as this was a warranty issue. Called MS Tech Support and within 3 minutes I was talking to a friendly guy who said he had heard about that one before.

He searched on the internal MS KB and found the article quickly. His first reaction was: "WOW". I asked what the issue was and it turned out he had actually entered that KB issue himself in the first place. The problem has to do with reading the CD-drive while running the setup at the same time. It may be a resources issue, that was not actually clear.

But the short workaround is to create a new directory on the C: drive, copy all the files from the CD to it (no CD reading problem there) and then run setup from the hard drive. This made the whole setup and registration go smoothly. Frontpage was up in less than 15 minutes. All in all a pleasant and fast resolution. Hope you'll be able to put this simple solution to use some day.

---------------------------------------------- article about your problem----------------------------------------------------------

[b:393f29aa2a]But the short workaround is to create a new directory on the C: drive, copy all the files from the CD to it (no CD reading problem there) and then run setup from the hard drive. [/b:393f29aa2a]

Quoted from my previous post

Looks like you are going to have to make room on that Tiny HDD.

Big Booger

If you have no room on your HDD for a measely 500Mb extra. Short fix, back up some of your s*** onto a CDR, and copy the contents of the OFFICE XP cd onto your HDD, and then install from there. Or you could do a network install, but I have long since forgotten how to do it, and its complicated.

big Booger