Product key decoder?

kahlil88

your serial code should be printed on a sticker on the side of the computer which will tell you the version you can use the serial with.

If you got your serial from MSDN-AA then go and check your orders and match the serial with whichever version you ordered.

Otherwise I suspect you have illegal keys.

The other useful thing to check could be http://forums.crackerfest.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1047 (NOT a cracking website, but gaming forums) which shows the PID(last on each line) for each version of windows.

The serial keys for different versions of windows will have been generated by slightly different algorithms and the corresponding algorithm used by the xp install cd to verify your key will be selected based upon your PID. This is only my guess on what happens based on this link http://www.petri.co.il/use_oem_version_to_upgrade_xp.htm but using this method could render windows activation a failure meaning you probably wont be able to activate, maybe even not by phone.

It's a "grey area" matter. :ph34r:

Yes, there are tools that check keys/pids and can tell you some info.

But since they are usually connected to - let's call them reproachable :whistle: - activities, I do not think that posting info about them here to be appropriate.

This (old) link is however allright (though it won't work properly with recent versions AND does not give the info you are looking for):

http://www.licenturion.com/xp/

A list of "SETUPP.INI" PIDs is available here:

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Product_IDs

jaclaz

What product code are you seeing? 012 might be like 006 was, a special promotion version or some other non-volume or special licensing run.
I understand it's possible to decode the product key from the product ID, so I'll just give the first 8 digits: 55276-012. Edited by kahlil88

Looks like it's an XP Pro (RTM) upgrade disc, and probably a retail disc too. 012 must have been in the retail channel at some point way, way back when, because I can't find any evidence it exists anymore (well, at least after SP2).

I'm assuming your install media is RTM or SP1 integrated, and not SP2 or SP3 integrated.

• 1 year later...

This was the most applicable topic I could find, sorry for the bump.

I would like to do the same thing the OP wanted to do - I run a computer repair shop, and would like to create an unattended XP disc for all types of product keys. In order to be compatible with all keys, I need to find out how to decode the product key I enter to get the PID, so I can put the PID into the setupp.ini so setup will take the key.

My alternative would be to slipstream a known bad key (like a XP Pro VLK key) and have the Microsoft Product Key Update Tool run on first boot, which should change both the product key and windows version.

Any ideas?

This was the most applicable topic I could find, sorry for the bump.

No need to be sorry for bumping a topic when you have a valid reason ;) It's not like you're bumping a 5 year old topic to say "Me too!"

I would like to do the same thing the OP wanted to do - I run a computer repair shop, and would like to create an unattended XP disc for all types of product keys.

This is by far the hardest task, due to the files that normally change between some versions of XP (e.g. home or pro) and having to make a multi boot for it. You'd also have to make a "version" of those for each value you want in setupp.ini so that might make a lot of them (I don't use XP so I'm no help there)

I need to find out how to decode the product key I enter to get the PID

That is fairly easy and well documented like here for instance. Writing a script that says which "PID" a key is for is easy enough. If you just wanted to retrieve it from an installed copy of Windows it's just as simple.

so I can put the PID into the setupp.ini so setup will take the key.

Again, you're either going to burn a lot of discs or have a crazy multi-boot disc (or some sort of complicated contraption)

My alternative would be to slipstream a known bad key (like a XP Pro VLK key) and have the Microsoft Product Key Update Tool run on first boot, which should change both the product key and windows version.

Which won't work for the "other" version of Windows (Home), and since other files sometimes change (VLK/retail) then it might not still work (not that I tried). Getting an installed Windows to just use another key doesn't work (I've run into this before where it just wouldn't take the new key). So that doesn't sound like a solution after all.