Good quality DVI KVM?

Zxian

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on quality DVI KVM switches. I've got two systems here (One Windows, one Linux) and I'd like to use them both via a KVM switch. For the work I do, VNC software is not an option, and I'd much rather use DVI over VGA (for obvious reasons).

I have good experience with IOgear too. The model you posted I don´t know but the analog VGA version I do, I must say it works as it should be. The downside are the not to well shielded cables but if you keep them always from the power cables then all should be fine.

Just beware:

Fully compliant with the USB 1.1 specification - supports transfer rates of up to 12 Mbps
, it´s not 2.0, and you can see that most people looked over that spec and complained about it later (dumb asses :whistle:, but 90% of the reviewers are at newegg).

Thanks for the replies. I'm using an IOgear VGA/USB switch now, and it's working great. However, I've got dual monitors setup at work now. One screen is connected via DVI, the other is VGA, and the difference in screen clarity is definitely noticeable.

I can't see why the jump from VGA to DVI has to be so bloody expensive. If anything, you could get away with lower quality hardware in a DVI switch since the signals are all digital. :P

I can't see why the jump from VGA to DVI has to be so bloody expensive. If anything, you could get away with lower quality hardware in a DVI switch since the signals are all digital. :P

There's reasons. Transistors to switch analog video have been around for just about forever, the circuits are simple, and it's all mass produced so cheap. It's prone to ghosting, but it's not much of a problem to solve either.

DVI uses signals with significantly higher frequencies, and dealing with radio frequencies is significantly trickier, and since the tech is newer, the parts haven't been around for basically forever and for the most part aren't quite produced in as big numbers yet... And to make things worse, switching DVI-I means a LOT more stuff going on than just VGA. DVI-I can still carry analog signals (DVI-A), as well as digital (DVI-D)... Plus, in some cases, there's quite a bit of data signals being used, like for dual link connectors.

Basic DVI switches aren't too expensive though. The nicer ones (two DVIs, two dual-link DVIs, etc) are quite expensive -- especially if for more than just 2 computers, and in some cases don't even exist (just fine me a 4 port KVM with two dual link DVI's and USB for mouse/keyboard -- spdif would be nice too!). Oh well...

The main problem with that KVM is the length of the cables. I'd have to get some extension cables to get my keyboard and mouse to reach the switch (my second monitor is connected with a 10ft DVI cable that just barely reaches the systems). The $100 price tag isn't all that pretty either. I was hoping for something closer to the $50-75 range... :(