NVR0FLASHDev - Service Control Manager

robd

At startup / logon prompt, a dialog box appears alerting Service Control Manager - Service or driver failed during startup

The error would appear in Event Viewer intermittently [service NVR0FLASHDev could not start - file could not be found] (not at every reboot) although the system complained at every logon. The nagging became increasingly annoying to me.

Determined:

The issue occurred after uninstalling an Nvidia driver [178.13], which apparently did not uninstall properly, as I upgraded to a more current driver. NVR0FLASHDev is tied to nView.

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not correct as the issue according to Event Viewer was NVR0FLASHDev could not be found and apparently the newer driver do not come with nView.

Browsing the registry turned up fruitless.

Solution:

After thinking for a bit, I realized that Windows was looking for this at startup so on the off chance I fired up Autoruns by SysInternals and low and behold after browsing I found an entry related to it marked as 00NVR0FLASHDev. Autoruns is kind enough to report the image path and as it were it reported File could not be found.

The safe way to test this would be to use the "Jump to" option which opens the registry to that key and rename it. Restart and see if the issue was resolved.

The key should be safe to delete.

This solved the error I was incurring.

I hope this information may help others out.

Edited by robd