Low RAM Windows Vista experience score

kuplo

Ok,

Thanks for all the discussion on this situation.

I might as well just put back in the original 4GB (2 x 2GB) 667mhz ram that came with this computer since it doesn't seem that Im going to benefit much if at all from having the 800MHz Ram in this computer as the Everest benchmark scores are *nearly* identical for the 667MHz as they are for the 800Mhz, and I can think of better things to do with the $100.00 that I spent on the 800mhz ram besides having it sit in my computer without giving me any boosts.

This is the original 667mhz ram now back in the computer.

post-222470-1228953116_thumb.jpg

I figured what was listed from the command prompt stuff above covered it but it's more of a work machine that does minor gaming for me.

Acer Aspire M5641

I assume Acer mainboard

Ram as stated above

Widpws Vista 64bit home premium

600GB hard drive

500GB hard drive

Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB OC video card

Chipset I couldn't tell you, while I built my last computer (the AMD) this one was just a open the box and turn it on computer just to have a computer that I didn't have to fuss with constantly trying to make it better (I guess that didn't work out so well did it.) LOL

Maybe this info from Everest is what you were trying to get from me:

Field Value

Computer

Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

OS Service Pack Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18241

DirectX DirectX 10.0

Computer Name AMD

Logon Domain AMD

Date / Time 2008-12-10 / 16:44

Motherboard

CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium E2200, 2200 MHz (11 x 200)

Motherboard Name Unknown

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7100-630i

System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

DIMM1 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

DIMM2 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

BIOS Type AMI (05/23/08)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Display

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (320 MB)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (320 MB)

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Monitor AOpen F2900 [19" LCD] (16091501)

Monitor ViewSonic VX2235wm [22" LCD] (QA5070400438)

Multimedia

Audio Adapter nVIDIA HDMI @ nVIDIA MCP73 - High Definition Audio Controller

Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/S/T @ nVIDIA MCP73 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage

IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Storage Controller AHB49P5K IDE Controller

Storage Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Storage Controller NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller

Storage Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

Disk Drive Generic- Compact Flash USB Device

Disk Drive WDC WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI Disk Device (596 GB)

Disk Drive Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device

Disk Drive Generic- SD/MMC USB Device

Disk Drive Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device

Disk Drive PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (3 GB, USB)

Disk Drive PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (972 MB, USB)

Disk Drive PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (980 MB, USB)

Disk Drive Verbatim Store 'n' Go USB Device (15 GB, USB)

Disk Drive WDC WD50 00AACS-00ZUB SCSI Disk Device (465 GB)

Optical Drive ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S SCSI CdRom Device

Optical Drive QFEFCBA WDQR0L2J8HMV SCSI CdRom Device

Optical Drive QFEFCBA WDQR0L2J8HMV SCSI CdRom Device

SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions

C: (NTFS) 300373 MB (188563 MB free)

D: (NTFS) 300110 MB (225092 MB free)

F: (NTFS) 476936 MB (429914 MB free)

Total Size 1052.2 GB (823.8 GB free)

Input

Keyboard Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (IntelliType Pro)

Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Mouse Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Network

Primary IP Address

Primary MAC Address

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller ()

Peripherals

Printer Brother MFC-440CN USB Printer

Printer Brother PC-FAX v.2

Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer

FireWire Controller VIA VT6306/6307 Fire II IEEE1394 Host Controller (PHY: VIA VT6307)

USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP73 - OHCI USB 1.1 Controller

USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP73 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller

USB Device Generic USB Hub

USB Device Generic USB Hub

USB Device USB Composite Device

USB Device USB Human Interface Device

USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

DMI

DMI BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.

DMI BIOS Version R01-B2

DMI System Manufacturer ACER

DMI System Product Aspire M5641

DMI System Version R01-B2

DMI Motherboard Manufacturer ACER

DMI Motherboard Product MCP73PV

DMI Motherboard Version NVIDIA MCP73

DMI Motherboard Serial Number 000000000

DMI Chassis Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.

DMI Chassis Version To Be Filled By O.E.M.

DMI Chassis Serial Number To Be Filled By O.E.M.

DMI Chassis Asset Tag To Be Filled By O.E.M.

DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case

DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 2 / 0

Edited by kuplo

This is what I could find about the 630i:

25122152995l.gif

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cp...x_motherboard/6

Test was done with a Q6600 and OCZ DDR2-800. No mention of size.

Your system seems to have a normal bandwidth for the hardware.

Here's the real probelm. Your 800mhz ram is no different than 667mhz ram because you have to configure it properly. Your 800mhz ram is probably downcloked to 667mhz as it normally happens. Your CPU is bottlenecking the bandwidth.

Here's what you need to do to get more out of your memory (and your system as a result):

1. Overclock the FSB of the processor. Lower the multiplier and crank up the FSB.

2. Set the ram to a 1:1 ratio. FSB:DDR2.

3. Get help from an OCing forum. Go to XtremeSystems and they will show you some safe settings to use.

With DDR2-800 ram you can, and should run it on a 400mhz FSB. DDR2 stands for dual data rate, so divide whatever frequency it says by 2.

Edited by weEvil

Thanks fro that bit of information. I'm pretty sure that this computer has had a very limited bios installed in it, as there is no place to change the FSB and or the multiplier, just as there isn't any place to change the settings for the installed RAM, so I've been trying to find a way of replacing the bios that is especially built for Acer with a full bios that one might find on a mainboard such as a MSI or DFI.

My DFI mainboard (other computer) had extensive options to OC it, but this ones' bios seems to have had that portion of the bios left out of it.

I'll go to XtremeSystems and see if anybody knows what I might be able to do to flash the bios or use an alternative method to be able to rectify this and boost up the cpu a bit. I've been reading that the E2200 shoud easily OC to about 2.8 to 3.0ghz with only air cooling and be stable, so I'll ask them over there and see what I can find out.

which is it 667 or 800?

probably has higher CAS timings etc, ddr1 had lower CAS overall

The new RAM is Corsair 800MHz 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2

The OLD RAM is Acer branded 667mhz 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2

Both score the same low 4.8 in windows experience score.

post-222470-1228901429_thumb.jpg

I am not entirely familiar with CPU-Z, but notice your first picture it says Channel# Single. Is this to mean you aren't using your RAM in dual channel mode? Wouldn't that be preferred?

I don't know, for the most part upgrading RAM in any computer I've bought or built has consisted of removing old ram, insert new ram and adjust any pertinent settings in the bios, however it would seem that ACER has had a totally stripped down bios built for this computer and there are no RAM or CPU adjustable settings in the bios unfortunately.

I don't know, for the most part upgrading RAM in any computer I've bought or built has consisted of removing old ram, insert new ram and adjust any pertinent settings in the bios, however it would seem that ACER has had a totally stripped down bios built for this computer and there are no RAM or CPU adjustable settings in the bios unfortunately.

That's what you get for buying an OEM computer. It works, and it has warranty but don't expect anything.

This is a little risky, and I'm not sure how effective it is but I would find the type of motherboard you have. If its made by someone other than ACER, then go to their website and download the appropriate BIOS. Check XtremeSystems they can help with this. If the board is not a 100% match then its a custom ACER type and you should leave it alone.

Do your homework into BIOS flashing before attempting anything like this.

Edited by weEvil

• 4 weeks later...

Be all end all. Don’t “buy the hype” that a higher score in memory is ‘be all end all’ systems and many factors

1) if it runs vista be happy

2) 2 amd’s will show a higher score due to design but so what

3) don’t spend your hard earned money on upgrade for a few ‘extra points’

4) it’s the size of your memory not the magic in it

5) my system shows a memory score of 2.7 it a tyan s2462 with TWIN 2800+ amd’s 4096 gb of pc 2100 ecc and a ati 500m agp video card

6) I build these and other systems for a living to date I’d guess 2000+ systems , it is was it is be happy the thing runs at all !

That's what you get for buying an OEM computer. It works, and it has warranty but don't expect anything.

This is a little risky, and I'm not sure how effective it is but I would find the type of motherboard you have. If its made by someone other than ACER, then go to their website and download the appropriate BIOS. Check XtremeSystems they can help with this. If the board is not a 100% match then its a custom ACER type and you should leave it alone.

Do your homework into BIOS flashing before attempting anything like this.

Thanks for the suggestion. Up until this Acer, I've always bought the components and put together my own computers. The last time I bought a OEM computer was back when the 486 dx25 was mainstream.

I've since bought another OEM computer from Gateway and quite satisfied with it, and it's scores are all up there at 5.9's and runs great playing almost all of my games. Never the less, I've got the Acer sitting here collecting dust so Im likely to see if I can find out who the mainboard mfg really is and flash the bios just to use it as a testing bed for over clocking before I try to do it to my other computers.

IT GURU, im sorry but what a load of crap! That sounds like typical Apple fanboy talk NO OFFENCE but this guy has HORRIBLE speed RAM and it's NOT a good thing with Vista, if you really ARE a guru YOU SHOULD KNOW this: If it's possible to make a computer faster just by changing a few settings, even if it's not definate, by GOD people are going to fiddle and tweak!

First things first, the Single Channel mode is definately cause for concern. I think the mainboard in the Acer was the problem. 5.9 is good =) i don't have Vista, I run 2008, and am still in the process of crossing WinSAT to 2008 so can't give a score of my uber beast for you to compare to sorry :( but I can do this.... and also, in a reply to all the Intel fanboys...

zzzdansbeastsp9.jpg

:P

Edited by bboy_sonik