KB954606 never seems to install

mitrich

I hope that I am in the right place, if not please correct me.

I searched for this as a topic and found nothing.

KB954606 Security update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 never seems to make it on one Vista machine, Vista Home Premium with SP1. It did install fine on my Vista Business machine with SP1.

Any help? Any advice?

This is my first time here with a question and problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

>>RSM

iamtheky -

You know, I just now brought this forward to this forum, because I am new here. But this issue has been around a long time, months. There are lots of reports on this, I put it in the Vista Community, no one answered. Sorry you are also having this experience. I must say, it has caused me no trouble, and reports of people going to awkward means to get installed show that once they get it done, it just creates other trouble.

Best of luck.

>>RSM

I was in the process of trying the MSDN workarounds:

Disabling IIS admin

Starting the SSRS

None of those worked.

deleted the *group SIDS in the reg

When I executed a last time in frustration. It got past the initialization portion, and then I hit cancel after not seeing a difference in the install. This hung the process (naturally) so I killed it in taskmanager.

I really wish this had not worked as luck is not very effective troubleshooting.

No registry entry for the fix, no patches displayed on SQL

registry edits in appcache and muicache, trash in c:\windows, 954606 4 places in control panel. I think I killed what was going to be a successful install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925976 - ended up being the big winner.

Edited by iamtheky

Unless this update if hurting your work, your fun, whatever, I must tell you, all of the forum entries I have found where people did successfully get this things installed via levers and hammers and such broke something else.

Fortunately for me, I am not at all affected in any way I know, and, also, I do not have the technical knowledge for any of these heroic attempts.

>>RSM