Removing components from Windows 98?

marxo

walign.exe : windows alignment tool i think but ive never had it work on 98se i think there is a scheduled task for it though, i have used it on 98fe once not sure what it did though

If you delete /windows/command (Not required for normal windows operations), you may want to retain start.exe, otherwise you cannot launch win32 programs from your command prompt.

this is probably not a good idea because there a lot of useful commandline tools in there that you will need sooner of later if you remove them

Edited by awergh

I think that CDPlayer.exe is the only file you need. Try that, if not, I'll see again.

I copyed CDPlayer.exe from my 98SE install and put it in my XP installation. Upon opening Windows Explorer and clicking on a CD track, I get the following message: "The disc you are trying to play is not inserted in the CD-ROM drive. Please insert the correct Disc and try again.", :huh: this is while Windows Explorer is still on the screen displaying all the tracks!

I get this message whether the disc is in drive Z, which is a Lite-On DVD-RW drive, connected to the first channel of my IDE controller as slave (the master is a removable 250Gb IDE HDD which is turned off) or whether it is in drive Z, a Plextor DVD-RW drive connected to the SATA controller. The HDDs are 15K rpm SCSI drives connected to an Adaptec 29160N U160 controller.

walign.exe : windows alignment tool i think but ive never had it work on 98se i think there is a scheduled task for it though, i have used it on 98fe once not sure what it did though

It's some sort of compatibility wizard. Dunno, I think it's not important.

I copyed CDPlayer.exe from my 98SE install and put it in my XP installation. Upon opening Windows Explorer and clicking on a CD track, I get the following message: "The disc you are trying to play is not inserted in the CD-ROM drive. Please insert the correct Disc and try again.", :huh: this is while Windows Explorer is still on the screen displaying all the tracks!

I get this message whether the disc is in drive Z, which is a Lite-On DVD-RW drive, connected to the first channel of my IDE controller as slave (the master is a removable 250Gb IDE HDD which is turned off) or whether it is in drive Z, a Plextor DVD-RW drive connected to the SATA controller. The HDDs are 15K rpm SCSI drives connected to an Adaptec 29160N U160 controller.

You have to connect your CD-ROM with your audio card with that little cable...

(500 Posts now...)

Edited by marxo

winipcfg32 was created for Windows 3.1 because it didn't have a console subsystem. It was left in Windows 95 with no apparent reason.

What, is there something else in Windows 95 that does the trick?

ipconfig does the trick.

"The disc you are trying to play is not inserted in the CD-ROM drive. Please insert the correct Disc and try again."

You have to connect your CD-ROM with your audio card with that little cable...

The Lite-On IDE DVD-RW has cables connected to both the 4-pin analog out and the 2-pin SPDIF out, which is connected to the Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Soundcard.

The Plextor SATA DVD-RW does not have provisions for those cables as apparently the SATA feeds those types of signals over the SATA bus.

As I can play CD Audio discs in either drive using other programs on that computer, I do not believe that this is the problem, and also do not see how not having the audio connected would do other than create an absence of sound. I do not see how having the audio cables not connected would lead to the CDPlayer claiming there was no disc in the drive!

This problem occurs, after selecting a track and telling Windows XP to use CDPlayer.exe to play it. The CDPlayer panel comes up with the playlist blank, and then displays a box with the message.

As suggested in an earlier post, I merely copied the CDPlayer.exe file from my 98SE partition on the notebook to the XP partition on the desktop. I got the same message whether I put it in A Program file directory or I put it in the Windows directory where it was on the 98SE box.

You can use kxdrivers instead of the official ones for your SBLive. The unnoficial drivers expose TONS of advanced settings like better DSP support, signal routing... You might find a way to achieve what you want.

I never heard of them before! :o However I did a Google and can report that the last ones which work's on Win9x is Sound Blaster Live kX Driver 5.10.0.3542. I found it at http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/270741/c...e-download.html I downloaded it. Sound Blaster Live kX Driver 5.10.0.3543 and later only work on Windows 2000 or better. I also downloaded the latest driver I could find. I am still using the SB Live! 5.1 card as Creative removed the MIDI/Game port from the later ones, and I need the MIDI port.

As suggested in an earlier post, I merely copied the CDPlayer.exe file from my 98SE partition on the notebook to the XP partition on the desktop. I got the same message whether I put it in A Program file directory or I put it in the Windows directory where it was on the 98SE box.

Yes, and I will repeat myself:

WHY?

You cannot assume (or expect) that the CDPLAYER.EXE of Windows 98 can work on windows XP.

XP is a NT based systems and it's innards are DIFFERENT.

What were you trying to prove?

Whether CDPLAYER.EXE is a self-standing file? :unsure:

jaclaz

The old Cdplayer accepts the audio as an analog signal that comes down those little two-conductor wires (one end in CD analog out, the other to the soundcard or mobo analog in). This audio is actually decoded by the CD/DVD drive itself (it is why you can also plug headphones directly into most CD/DVD drives).
I am especially interested in what files CDPlayer uses. If it is an analog only app, I would like to copy it, if possible, to my XP installations as well. I want to see MSoft try to put digital DRM in an analog app!

I think that CDPlayer.exe is the only file you need. Try that, if not, I'll see again.

Also its a very small app which merely brings up a list of the tracks on the CD - no playlist stuff.

'Parently it needs some .reg entries that I am unaware of. The Portable Apps people could probably get it to work.

Fact, come to think of it, I have Reg Rapper, which converts a lot of non-portable apps to portable ones - works on both 98SE and XP.

I can change all the various options - like display toolbar hide toolbar and such, so it probably will work OK in XP with the required reg entries.

I have other several other audio players on my XP install. IIRC all are portable and work in both 98SE and XP. Don't think any have DRM - If I find out in the future that one of them does, I'll remove it.

ipconfig does the trick.

But is it shipped with Windows 95? It's definitely not there when I try to call it using the command line.

Windows 95 should have both ipconfig and winipcfg commands. If the ipconfig doesn't work at the command prompt, my guess is either the ipconfig.exe has be deleted or TCP/IP is not correctly installed. If ipconfig doesn't work, I'll be surprised if winipcfg works.

Not correctly installed? I installed TCP/IP the standard way, through the Network panel. Installed Winsock 2 afterwards using the downloaded executable. If that's not standard, I don't know what is.

There's no ipconfig.exe file on my hard drive.