Removing components from Windows 98?

marxo

I know about 98lite. I don't wanna simply remove the components, I wanna hear if there are any that need to be updated or modified, and who uses what, and what for.

The point is that Windows 98 is old and that some components are not "fresh" and some are unnecessary today.

What about Telnet? Anyone using it?

The previous DSL modem my ISP supplied could import and export configuration files via telnet. Had to use it more than once when I made a mess of its settings. When there's Open Source tools like Putty that can do everything that telnet can and so much more, I see no reason to keep it.

Telnet deffinatly useful many modems\switches\routers can be accessed with telnet and also windows server can be used as a telnet server. Telnet works fine though maybe it would be better if it could just run in command line

hmm maybe it could be replaced with putty since putty includes ssh and other useful options that telnet doesnt provide

Useful command line stuff

Doskey

Edit

Ping

IPConfig

FTP

Tracert

winipcfg32 however i dont think is very useful only useful on 95 where ipconfig doesnt exist

Syncronise what is it used for, usually it is used to syncronise offline files and files on a network but im not sure if its the same thing here

Web Folders ive never used this nor have i ever worked out what its used for

other components such as

Direct Cable Connection: which is also used for data transfer over serial or paralell pretty much the windows version of interlnk but you need dialup networking installed which is why i prefer hyperterminal over this

Doctor Watson

Netwatcher: allowing you to see open files and users connected to various shares on your computer

Tour98 should be removed

Sound Recorder is a bit too basic for any audio recording main thing i dont like is the short time limit

Maintenance Wizard: basically a wizard to configure scheduled tasks for system utils

Scandisk

Defrag

Disk Cleanup

Wupdmgr.exe: just launches windows update

system monitor: graphs of stuff like cpu usage

Resource meter: system resources and stuff shown

Drive Space\Compression Agent: Useless for FAT32 should be removed

Actmovie.exe: doesnt appear to do anything except provide an icon for the shortcut to the rundll command to start amovie.ocx

SFC.exe: System File Checker

Sysedit: 16bit app that shows autoexec.bat,config.sys,win.ini,system.ini and stuff

msconfig.exe : obviously useful for stopping processes start up such as those stored in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

SCRs: are the screensavers important anymore?

internat.exe: quick acess to language options through taskbar icon equivalent of language bar but slightly less annoying

stimon.exe: used for scanners and stuff

JDBGMGR.EXE: never known what this does i do remember claims that this was a virus though

Edited by awergh

One item that needs a serious updating or removal is the scheduler. There are free ones available that are far superior. Example: System Scheduler by Splinterware. When a replacement this good is free, why keep the original?

Winipcfg is handy when you need to do quick releases and renewals but ipconfig does give more information.

The screen savers aren't useful enough to keep. Maybe just one small one. I prefer to power down the monitor after about 10 minutes of idle time. If I really want a screensaver, I'll turn webshots back on.

As for the CD Player, I agree that it's different from WMP, but WMP takes over the association by default on install doesn't it? I just don't like the interface, but it's clearly better to do it analog.

Yeah, WMP and the earlier plain old MP have been doing that (stealing associations) for years. Its easy to live with though. If you have Autorun enabled (and I recommend you don't), when you stick the CD in just hit ESC when the dialog box opens. If it bypasses the dialog box and goes straight to WMP (i.e., someone must have ticked an Always use this to open ... option), well there is a registry fix I could find if you actually need it.

Cdplayer runs fine from a shortcut, just make sure the CD is in the drive first. Fortunately it is very light on the registry (really does not need any as the default settings are fine) and has almost a non-existant disk space footprint. It is practically a candidate for PortableApps.com. :thumbup

BTW, to remain on the thread topic, even if you kill Cdplayer from the Add/Remove Windows Setup options, there is nothing stopping you from manually copying the files to any folder and creating a shortcut to it.

:whistle: me thinks these "older-outdated'98/98SE programs and functions" are very useful on any MoBo as old or older than 2005;jus' as mine all are and can still run all over any newer :blushing: "XP/Vista 10000xxxgb/10000xxxmhz MoBo" :rolleyes: <"Jokingly truthful though!" :hello: >  Newer MoBo's have newer built-in revisions in the drivers ,which older versions did not have,and these older programs help jumpstart an older MoBo when "problems" arise. :thumbup98SE needs updating -keep in mind there are important functions in these "old files" interweaved into other 98/98SE functions as thee shall see when removed and replaced and updated     ***Update Moviemaker from 98ME would help a lot !   And don't install unnecessary  programs, if you do not intend to use them from 98SE CDROM? :sneaky:

mplayer2.exe: windows media player 6.4

mplayer.exe: earlier version of wmp not sure which version maybe 6.0ish

theres the other components such

as Breifcase: never used this

Quickview: never used this think ive seen it on nt4

Microsoft Wallet: never used this

Personal Web Server: apache is apparently much better

Web Publishing Wizard: ive never really worked out what this is for either i always uninstall it when i install office

Are these one file apps? How do you remove them? I know that the add/remove Windows components thing doesn't actually take things from the drive, cause you can put them back.

I am especially interested in what files CDPlayer uses. If it is an analog only app, I would like to copy it, if possible, to my XP installations as well. I want to see MSoft try to put digital DRM in an analog app!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I want really good sound, I just use the audio out on my soundcard (SBlaster Live 5.1) to my stereo, and from my stereo it goes to four speakers, two for rear and the two front speakers which I made in the mid 70's, 8" midrange and horn driven tweeters with a 15" woofer in each one - 1.5 Ft x 2.5Ft x 3.5Ft h and 140Lb each. The auxiliary speakers in the bedroom are of similar compliment with 15" woofers, but only 1Ft by 1.5ft x 3.5ft. I don't NEED no stenkin' subwoofer. Don't need high volume, I actually play the system at lower levels than most, but I do want sound accuracy!

I have one of the early (ca.1989) Sony amps which had true 4 channel surround sound (Dolby Surround) with no center channel, so the the RR and LR were true separate signals, (the later 5 channel DolbyPro Audio sound was actually composed of RF, LF, center and rear channels, with RR and LR being identical, as there was no way to get more then four channels of audio info on vinyl or VCR. It would be nice to be able to feed my stereo system with a comparative signal.

Dolby Surround was only available for two or three years, as it came out at the end of the period were using their sound systems mainly to listen to music, and Dolby Pro was superior when people started using their sound systems primarily as an adjunct to watching movies.

Is there any way of converting 4.1 or 5.1 sound in 98SE to 4.0 sound? If I could do this, I could maybe find another ca. 1989 Sony amp, with Dolby Surround, for the bedroom and then just use a manual audio switch to switch the sound output between the 2.1 channel computer speakers, useful for TV sounds and Window beeps, to the big speakers, with rear ones added for 4.0 Channel, useful for music.

Not merely am I trying to keep a 10 year old OS going because, for my uses, I find it superior to the current ones, I am trying to keep a 20 year old audio standard operating for the same reason.

Is there any way of converting 4.1 or 5.1 sound in 98SE to 4.0 sound? If I could do this, I could maybe find another ca. 1989 Sony amp, with Dolby Surround, for the bedroom and then just use a manual audio switch to switch the sound output between the 2.1 channel computer speakers, useful for TV sounds and Window beeps, to the big speakers, with rear ones added for 4.0 Channel, useful for music.

Not merely am I trying to keep a 10 year old OS going because, for my uses, I find it superior to the current ones, I am trying to keep a 20 year old audio standard operating for the same reason.

You can use kxdrivers instead of the official ones for your SBLive. The unnoficial drivers expose TONS of advanced settings like better DSP support, signal routing... You might find a way to achieve what you want.

winipcfg32 however i dont think is very useful only useful on 95 where ipconfig doesnt exist

Synchronize what is it used for, usually it is used to synchronize offline files and files on a network but im not sure if its the same thing here

Web Folders ive never used this nor have i ever worked out what its used for

other components such as:

Direct Cable Connection: which is also used for data transfer over serial or paralell pretty much the windows version of interlnk but you need dialup networking installed which is why i prefer hyperterminal over this

Doctor Watson

Netwatcher: allowing you to see open files and users connected to various shares on your computer

Tour98 should be removed

Sound Recorder is a bit too basic for any audio recording main thing i dont like is the short time limit

Maintenance Wizard: basically a wizard to configure scheduled tasks for system utils

Scandisk

Defrag

Disk Cleanup

Wupdmgr.exe: just launches windows update

system monitor: graphs of stuff like cpu usage

Resource meter: system resources and stuff shown

Drive Space\Compression Agent: Useless for FAT32 should be removed

Actmovie.exe: doesnt appear to do anything except provide an icon for the shortcut to the rundll command to start amovie.ocx

SFC.exe: System File Checker

Sysedit: 16bit app that shows autoexec.bat,config.sys,win.ini,system.ini and stuff

msconfig.exe : obviously useful for stopping processes start up such as those stored in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

SCRs: are the screensavers important anymore?

internat.exe: quick acess to language options through taskbar icon equivalent of language bar but slightly less annoying

stimon.exe: used for scanners and stuff

JDBGMGR.EXE: never known what this does i do remember claims that this was a virus though

winipcfg32 was created for Windows 3.1 because it didn't have a console subsystem. It was left in Windows 95 with no apparent reason.

Synchronize - I believe it's tied with SyncUI.dll with is also a Windows Briefcase resource library. Web Folders too.

Isn't Direct Cable Connection supposed to be used for connecting two PCs over serial or parallel ports?

Netwatcher does what winipcfg32 could in Windows 3.1

Tour98 is one of the things that should be really really light and it isn't.

I question the necessity of including stuff like Sound Recorder in Windows on the first place, but since it is there, it can be better. I tried to change the length of recording and it worked. But it can't be custom.

Maintenance Wizard - I like it, but it needs to be reorganized.

Wupdmgr - This really needs to be updated. I don't know what could be done about this, this is a whole another issue. Anyone with ideas?

Drive Space - This one is so stone age.

Active Movie - I would keep this one, awergh you told me something about the advantages of playing stuff with this haven't you?

Sysedit is clearly just another Windows 3.1 leftover. Nowadays we have MSConfig.

Screensavers should be removed for sure.

Internat - I don't know if this one can be replaced, but if it's possible then it could be done a lot better.

One item that needs a serious updating or removal is the scheduler. There are free ones available that are far superior. Example: System Scheduler by Splinterware. When a replacement this good is free, why keep the original?

Scheduler is required for Maintenance Wizard to work isn't it?

Cdplayer runs fine from a shortcut, just make sure the CD is in the drive first. Fortunately it is very light on the registry (really does not need any as the default settings are fine) and has almost a non-existant disk space footprint. It is practically a candidate for PortableApps.com. :thumbup

BTW, to remain on the thread topic, even if you kill Cdplayer from the Add/Remove Windows Setup options, there is nothing stopping you from manually copying the files to any folder and creating a shortcut to it.

I agree that it's almost standalone, now that you've pointed out the good side of this player, I feel that I've been tricked into using Windows Media Player.

***Update Moviemaker from 98ME would help a lot ! And don't install unnecessary programs, if you do not intend to use them from 98SE CDROM? :sneaky:

Also true. What do you actually install from Setup?

mplayer2.exe: windows media player 6.4

mplayer.exe: earlier version of wmp not sure which version maybe 6.0ish

there's the other components such

as Briefcase: never used this

Quickview: never used this think ive seen it on nt4

Microsoft Wallet: never used this

Personal Web Server: apache is apparently much better

Web Publishing Wizard: ive never really worked out what this is for either i always uninstall it when i install office

Briefcase is clearly unnecessary. Does anyone use this?

Microsoft Wallet - Now THIS, is probably THE most unnecessary thing in Windows 98.

Personal Web Server - How old is that?

Web Publishing Wizard - No go.

On the other hand Quickview is a great tool and I saw a tutorial on how to install it on Windows XP and Vista.

I recall reading that Write.exe and Paintbrush.exe are 16-bit stubs that act as a wrapper for the 32-bit versions.

Why would anyone need those?

Are these one file apps? How do you remove them? I know that the add/remove Windows components thing doesn't actually take things from the drive, cause you can put them back.

I am especially interested in what files CDPlayer uses. If it is an analog only app, I would like to copy it, if possible, to my XP installations as well. I want to see MSoft try to put digital DRM in an analog app!

I think that CDPlayer.exe is the only file you need. Try that, if not, I'll see again.

Well, you might want to consider removing/dis-integrating(aka using the Win95 shell) Internet Explorer from your Win98 installation. As far as I remember, it was the #1 cause of BSODs and instability for me.

Yes, Direct Cable Connection is used for connecting 2 PCs together with a serial port, but I do not think that it is worthwhile nowadays when there is 10/100/1000Mbps LAN conection.....

Wupdmgr.exe - I thought that this is used to launch Windows Update through internet explorer (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)?

Internat.exe - Why do you want to change it? I thought that it is the icon you click to change your input language?

CDPlayer.exe - Windows XP has it, I think, but it's hidden (Like windows media player 6.4, grrr.....) and what do you mean by it is a "analog" app? I agree though, it is very light. Worthwhile to keep, but it cannot rip CDs.

mplayer.exe - Right, it actually seems to be 5.0-ish (From win3.1), and is quite useless, as it cannot use directshow plugins.

Windows Media Player 6.4 - Windows Media Player 6.4 can play DVDs I heard (With registry tweaks). Why not just install the WMP codec upgrades?

If you delete /windows/command (Not required for normal windows operations), you may want to retain start.exe, otherwise you cannot launch win32 programs from your command prompt.

Well, you might want to consider removing/dis-integrating(aka using the Win95 shell) Internet Explorer from your Win98 installation. As far as I remember, it was the #1 cause of BSODs and instability for me.

Yes, Direct Cable Connection is used for connecting 2 PCs together with a serial port, but I do not think that it is worthwhile nowadays when there is 10/100/1000Mbps LAN conection.....

Wupdmgr.exe - I thought that this is used to launch Windows Update through internet explorer (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)?

Internat.exe - Why do you want to change it? I thought that it is the icon you click to change your input language?

CDPlayer.exe - Windows XP has it, I think, but it's hidden (Like windows media player 6.4, grrr.....) and what do you mean by it is a "analog" app? I agree though, it is very light. Worthwhile to keep, but it cannot rip CDs.

mplayer.exe - Right, it actually seems to be 5.0-ish (From win3.1), and is quite useless, as it cannot use directshow plugins.

Windows Media Player 6.4 - Windows Media Player 6.4 can play DVDs I heard (With registry tweaks). Why not just install the WMP codec upgrades?

If you delete /windows/command (Not required for normal windows operations), you may want to retain start.exe, otherwise you cannot launch win32 programs from your command prompt.

Wupdmgr is used for launching he Windows Update thought Internet Explorer but that isn't a Manager in the true meaning of the word, right?

Internat can be rewritten to works as the one on XP not as a standalone application as it is now.

CDPlayer is not in Windows XP.

:hello: Briefcase is great for more encrypted or zip files (especially open/pictures files)to transfer to other drives and/or o.s.'s.......i turned a usb flashdrive into a large 1gb-briefcase file and it downloads and transfers "safer and faster" than any of my other MoBo's or devices? :thumbup Great file to scan Internet Downloads (for "bugs",etc,etc...) :rolleyes: