Vista SP2 beta fails to install

ElAguila

I have tried installing the SP2 beta several time on my Vista Ultimate x64 system. After some time the installer says:

Installation was not suddessful!

A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please download and run the Check System Update Readiness tool.

I have downloaded and run that tool and then reboot. The tool says the updates were successful. So then I try the SP2 beta and it fails. The event log is full of errors and warnings. The warning are

Windows Servicing identified that package KB948465(Service Pack) is not applicable for this system

The errors are

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB948465 (Service Pack) into Install Requested(Install Requested) state

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update 948465-17_en-us_GDR from package KB948465(Service Pack) into Staging(Staging) state

Any ideas what is going wrong here? I have SP1 currently installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

try this trick it may solve your problem:

first turn off windows automatic update service then go to windows folder then search for software distribution folder and rename it like software distribution- then again turn on the windows update folder and restart your system then try to reinstall the Vista SP2.

you may also clean the back up your vista SP1 it may gain some disk space to you as if there is less free space on your windows drive it also prevents the installing of SP2. for cleaning back up open command prompt then type vsp1cln.exe and then press y to remove back it will gain about 1.5GB space. then try to install SP2.