vLite source code

max1969

Hello!

I am wondering whether vLite is open source? Can I download the source code somewhere?

Or what makes you guys trust a windows installation that has been modified by some more or less frequently updated tool. Do you have any chance to control whether network traffic or keystrokes are hijacked or logged somewhere?

Of course, one could argue that Microsoft already has all the freedom to process your data to their liking. But with every party adding their tools on top of Windows the likelihood increases that somebody is doing something nasty.

Max

No, No (Been asked hundreds of times and the answer will always be NO!) It's to dangerous to have dozens of hacked up vLite versions. Especially ones that may contain vicous code-changing modes in it)

and

What make you say that? It is up to us to choose whether or not we use this tool. Even though it needs to be updated It still does dozens of things VERY well.

As for paragraph 3 we will NOT get into that...

I don't doubt vLite does several things very well. Otherwise I'd not be looking into this. But I want to make sure it doesn't make one thing very bad.

If the sources will not be available, can I find a detailed documentation of the steps that vLite is performing? This would allow two things:

1) Users could write their own scripts, having full control of what they get.

2) An independent project could develop and share a validation tool which checks by providing checksums that no files are modified unexpectedly during the vLite installation.

Max

I am obscuring nothing I have no clue just how vLite works.

Then I got you wrong. Because you are registered in the group " Software developers" and you said "No, No (Been asked hundreds of times and the answer will always be NO!) It's to dangerous to have dozens of hacked up vLite versions." I thought you develop vLite and you knew what you were talking about.

At least I'm sure now that I won't use vLite unless there is a possibility to check what it is doing.

Then I got you wrong. Because you are registered in the group " Software developers" and you said "No, No (Been asked hundreds of times and the answer will always be NO!) It's to dangerous to have dozens of hacked up vLite versions." I thought you develop vLite and you knew what you were talking about.

At least I'm sure now that I won't use vLite unless there is a possibility to check what it is doing.

Yeah I develop Windows Post-Install Wizard. I just have been around for a very Looooooong time and been using nLite since the beggining.

Plus I have LOTS of free time so I read most post in this forum.

nLite has been around for a long time, vLite since nearly the beginning of Vista.

Like any software you potentially would like to use, do some research. I've been using both for a long time and never had issues.

1. Nuhi developed vLite, not jaclaz or Kels. Before spouting off at the mouth (or in this case, keyboard), do some research. This is common knowledge.

2. I suggest you stop using Windows as well. It is also not open source, and by your logic you should consider not using it either (ironic, not wanting to use a tool to modify Windows because you cannot "check what it is doing", and Windows itself is just another tool you cannot "check what it is doing" either - sorry, gave me a chuckle).

And yes, stop trolling.

[Closed].