PowerPoint Viewer 2003 Going Away October 2009

Monroe

I was just at the MS site to download the PowerPoint Viewer 2003 ... this version works with Win 98SE ... PowerPoint 2007 does not list Win 98SE. This is posted on the PowerPoint Viewer 2003 page ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PowerPoint Viewer 2003

PowerPoint Viewer 2003 lets you view full-featured presentations created in PowerPoint 97 and later versions.

Overview

NOTICE: This download will no longer be available after October 16, 2009. The newest version of the PowerPoint Viewer is available here.

PowerPoint Viewer 2003 lets you view full-featured presentations created in PowerPoint 97 and later versions. This viewer also supports opening password-protected Microsoft PowerPoint presentations. You can view and print presentations, but you cannot edit them in the PowerPoint Viewer 2003.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.... if you think you might need this viewer one day, better grab a copy and save it somewhere. Once every so often I run into a pps file and this viewer comes in handy.

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_view_pps_files.html

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the "heads up".

Strange that Powerpoint Viewer 2003 claims to support Windows 98SE, but the Word and Excel 2003 viewers say they need at least Windows 2000 SP4 to work.

Has anyone actually tried them under Windows 98?

:)

I have never been able to install PPV 2003 as an error message would come up saying that I needed at least 98SE to install it and I as a matter of fact do, go figure. I have also not ever run across a PP file that PPV 97 would not open.

... Actually, I didn't fail to mention the other viewers. I had no interest in them, only PowerPoint Viewer 2003 ... I had a .pps file and when I researched how to open it, I found out about that particular viewer and that it worked with Win 98SE and would open the file for me. I can say that PP Viewer 2003 does work with Win 98SE but I can't say anything about the others ... I seem to remember some other viewers but if Win 98 isn't listed to work with them then I passed. However, since they are also going away, I will probably download them to have them stored on a CD ... just in case! I have only run into a .pps file once, maybe twice in 5 years.

Edited by duffy98

Well I've tried the Word 2003 Viewer and the Excel 2003 Viewer on Windows 98, and they both won't install, saying that I need a "later version of Windows".

:(

Maybe with KernelEx?

I'm not too worried as the earlier versions seem to do fine.

Just a bit strange that one of the three newer versions supports Windows 98 and the other two don't.

Excel Viewer

LoadLibraryW("\mso.dll") returned NULL by thread 0xFFFFD8F9. Error: This function is only valid in Win32 mode (120).
GetProcAddress(0xBFF70000 [c:\windows\system\KERNEL32.DLL], "QueryActCtxW") called from "c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\XLVIEW.EXE" at address 0x30088869 and returned NULL by thread 0xFFFFD8F9. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).

Word Viewer

LoadLibraryW("	 h((((				  H      H
aVbaX") called from "c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\WORDVIEW.EXE" at address 0x30165056 by thread 0xFFF9A669.
LoadLibraryW(" h(((( H H
aVbaX") returned NULL by thread 0xFFF9A669. Error: This function is only valid in Win32 mode (120).
LoadLibraryW("\mso.dll") called from "c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\WORDVIEW.EXE" at address 0x3060F361 by thread 0xFFF9A669.
LoadLibraryW("\mso.dll") returned NULL by thread 0xFFF9A669. Error: This function is only valid in Win32 mode (120).
GetProcAddress(0xBFF70000 [c:\windows\system\KERNEL32.DLL], "QueryActCtxW") called from "c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\WORDVIEW.EXE" at address 0x3017451B and returned NULL by thread 0xFFF9A669. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).

mso.dll is a delayed load and can be found when path is correctly registered, but LoadLibraryW in kernel32.dll might not work correctly and there's also QueryActCtxW missing. On top of that, whadda heck is that weirdly-named file that WORDVIEW.EXE is trying to load in Unicode mode?

I'm afraid that's as far as we can go with Word and Excel Viewer 2003 on 9x systems. :(

Edited by Drugwash