Foxit PDF Reader Support for 98

fortcollins

foxit reader is still supporting win98.

mine is working fine.

No it's not. The user manual (PDF :) ) is very clear about it, Foxit 3.0 is designed and tested for W2K, XP and Vista. You can run it on lower versions but you might encounter problems. That's what Foxit has to say about it, they didn't test win9x functionality so they can't give quarantees or give clear yes or no answers to questions. They can't say yes or no because they simply don't know.

The linked threads on the Foxit forum just confirm this.

Personally I've had trouble with Foxit since 2.0 on Win98. GDI crashes, high mem usage and refusing to print on my dear, still going strong, HP deskjet 500c.

Edited by noguru

Firefox 3 has the same memory usage problems on 98 as version 2.3. Scrolling a document rapidly consumes your physical memory, then starts using up the swap file. My system became unstable before I scrolled halfway thru a 31 page document. Version 2.2 seems to be the last one that's compatible with 98.

Last Versions of Software for 98SE.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

I just posted this under another PDF thread. So I will post it here also ... v2.2.2129 is the last version to really work with Win 98SE ... ver 2.3 crashed my machine so I decided to go back to the last version of 1.3 ... if you just want a simple, fast PDF reader ... v 1.3.1621 is the one ... you have to add a few plug-ins which are included in the 2.2.2129 version download but they are easy to find at the Foxit site, just save the plugins with your Foxit Reader download and you'll be set for the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had no problems using Foxit Reader 2.2.2129 with Win 98SE but I decided to just go back to the Foxit Reader 1.3.1621 version. Works just fine for a simple PDF reader ... File Hippo has it and all the newer versions. Light on resources compaired to the newer versions and fast. v1.3 is only 1.20 MB download.

... http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/ ....

Plugins:

Title: Critical Add-ons in Foxit Reader

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php

Edited by duffy98

hmm i thought i saw something saying it still worked but perhaps i saw the wrong document but trying to open a big pdf it started complaining about low resources so maybe its a good idea to use an older version actually i dont like the look of v3 as much anyway

They can't say yes or no because they simply don't know.

How does a program developer not know what his program does?

Both of the people giving answers in the refererred thread are Foxit people and have access to the developers.

According to the posts here, Foxit supported 98 through 2.2, which I think was through the summer of this year, 2008, and had 98 testing facilities. Presumably 2.3 came out of the same shop that produced 2.2 and the programmers had to know what worked in 98 and what worked only in XP to make it work under 98. They have been doing that for years.

So the whoever wrote 2.3 should have known what they were doing that was XP/Vista only. And if it was XP/Vista only, why would they be uncertain if it would work or not? If they were using XP/Vista only code, they should know that it wouldn't work. Indeed, if they were using XP/Vista only code, how could it work under 98?

Something seems strange, or missing, here.

Does anyone know of any other program where the developer has said he doesn't if it works under 98 or not?

.... the download for Acrobat Reader 5.05 is 8.6 MB and Foxit Reader 1.3 is listed as 1.20 MB ... but whatever, here's a link to that version and other versions of Acrobat Reader. I like "the smaller, the better" if it does the same job as other readers. I used to use A Reader 5.05 till the Foxit 1.3 version came out. It's just a personal decision ... they both read PDF documents.

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

* I just noticed that this is posted at the web page ... "Unfortunately, these versions have been removed for the time being." .... However, I clicked on AReader 5.05 and the download window came up.

Edited by duffy98

• 1 month later...

From my side, I can say only, that I've tested (shortly) the latest build (1301) of Foxit 3.0 and looks like that it works normally under Win98 SE.

My default PDF reader is Acrobat 6.0.6.

I have 2.2 build 2129, the last one working under Windows 9x - I remember I had contacted Foxit and contrary to the OP, was lucky enough to be served by a competent person who even sent me a download link while the version was no more accessible from their regular web pages.

This version not only works well on 98, but is shared with Windows 2000 on which it works equally well - without reinstallation or duplication.

Foxix Reader 2.0 used to be my default reader. Then I upgrade to 3.0 and it began to crash the OS. It is no longer my default reader. I am, however, experimenting with running it under the updated kernel. Not sure if it should or will make any difference.

I used Foxit 2 for a day or so and thought it's a little faster than Adobe, although if you take all the plugins from Adobe Reader ( they don't call it Acrobat anymore, maybe bcuz it's hard to imagine anything acrobatic in 8MB :sneaky: ), it will launch way faster. I didn't use it long enough to rigorously test it. However, its updater kept urging me to download v3 bcuz of a super critical error in printing pages. So I did, it worked harmoniously for several minutes then took a hike, bringing the rest of the machine along for the ride.

I think I'll try v2 again, does anyone know if there is a way to make it render in a webpage like Adobe reader does?

I agree that v2 looks better as well...