Editing a file inside an .msi

There is a config file inside an msi in which I need to change a single path. Is there a simple way to edit the file.

I've got the extract and edit part, which made me want to ask if a solution exists that allows to simply edit a file and save with no repacking.

I used uniextract to unpack it and found the config file and single line that i need to edit (just repathing a home folder from c to d). Problem is I lack skills in the whole repacking department.

I have all of last nights experience with Orca, that actually peaked my interest. Which led to the question, that if I dont want to change the installer at all, just one character in one existing file and leave everything else intact, whats the easiest method?

I've recently discovered that 7-Zip can open some .EXE and .MSI files, as well as write new data to the contents (you have to select the "Open as archive" option in the Explorer context menu).

Edited by kahlil88

Thats a nice gui for extracting, thanks. (I think uniextract succeded with 7zip but just extracted). Still does not allow me to replace or edit. I get a lot of 'operation not supported' and 'can not update file' errors.

Thats a nice gui for extracting, thanks. (I think uniextract succeded with 7zip but just extracted). Still does not allow me to replace or edit. I get a lot of 'operation not supported' and 'can not update file' errors.
You might have to extract the files you want to edit and then drag them back into the archive and replace the originals.