Can not open any partition

GaNGa

Provide information relating to:

- which version of XP, home or pro

- how many hard drives do you have

- how many partitions do you have, which partitions are on which hard drive

- how old the hard drive that contains the not opening partitions

Have you tried a smart query tool to check if the hard drive is overheating?

Please provide more information for the top guns to help you.

Provide information relating to:

- which version of XP, home or pro

- how many hard drives do you have

- how many partitions do you have, which partitions are on which hard drive

- how old the hard drive that contains the not opening partitions

Have you tried a smart query tool to check if the hard drive is overheating?

Please provide more information for the top guns to help you.

Hello mate, and thanks for replying.

- XP Pro.

- 3 HD.

- 5 partitions on the 1st HD, 2 partitions on the 2nd HD, the last HD is only 1 partition.

- All of them has the same issue.

- almost a year.

Thanks

Now provide more information relating to the user account priviledges (admin or limited), any recent changes you made with any tools like TweakUI, Resource Editors, Group Policy editor and such.

What happens if you right click on the partition and click open instead of open with? if that works bash your shift and control keys to make sure they aren't sticking and try opening by double click again.

What does disk management show?

Now provide more information relating to the user account priviledges (admin or limited),

Admin one.

any recent changes you made with any tools like TweakUI, Resource Editors, Group Policy editor and such.

Nothing changed at all. All I've done was to install an original XP SP2 then installed my drivers and few basic desktop software, then got all expressed updates from windows updates. But this issue was exist from the 1st place after I've just installed XP.

What happens if you right click on the partition and click open instead of open with? if that works bash your shift and control keys to make sure they aren't sticking and try opening by double click again.

When I do a right click I've got the basic options on the menu like open, explore, format ...etc. And when I hit open command I got the open with window (that window you got when you try to open any file hat has no application asociated with and then you pick the application from this window if it is exist there or open the browse window.

What does disk management show?

It shows every thing as normal and there isn't anything wrong there.

Do you need any screen shots?

Thanks

Hi there,

Actually I suspect that you have been infected with Autorun.inf virus. I had the same problem with my own pc some time ago and I used Noob.Killer to remove it and it worked. :thumbup

If I am wrong, pls admins correct me. :rolleyes:

Link to Noob.Killer:

http://leerz25.sitesled.com/files/tools/fixes/NOOB_KILLER.by.Leerz.zip

Thanks for replying mate,

I've installed latest version of bit defender total security and did a full scan after updating both of XP and bit defender and all clean.

Also the above link reporting this error

[b]The error returned was:[/b]
Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Thanks

You have 2 choices:

1. When asked what program to use for performing the command, go to Browse and then explore down to your Windows folder, chose Explorer.exe and select "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" or

2. Use CCCleaner.

Edited by nitroshift

Hi there,

Actually I suspect that you have been infected with Autorun.inf virus. I had the same problem with my own pc some time ago and I used Noob.Killer to remove it and it worked. :thumbup

If I am wrong, pls admins correct me. :rolleyes:

Link to Noob.Killer:

http://leerz25.sitesled.com/files/tools/fixes/NOOB_KILLER.by.Leerz.zip

I'vee downloaded the trial version of the kaspersky internet security and did a full scan and found 100s of viruses including the autorun one you mentioned above.

and after a full scan and clean every thing infected I've found that I can open it correctly with no problem at all.

note:

I think kaspersky internet security is far better then bit defender total security because bit defender did not caught anything at all while kasper did.

You have 2 choices:

1. When asked what program to use for performing the command, go to Browse and then explore down to your Windows folder, chose Explorer.exe and select "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" or

2. Use CCCleaner.

Yes this is the way I used to use and use windows explorer. but now no need to do any trick as the problem totally solved.

Thanks and much appreciated.