Dell Dimension 2350 Shuts Down After Login

buckdog05

I have already replaced the power supply and still am having the same problem. It will shut down after I log on, and then when I restart it, it will shut down after a few seconds.

After the computer "cools down" a little, it will repeat the process.

I don't think it's a problem with the Windows installation because the second time I turn it on it shuts down before it even gets to the BIOS screen. I don't think it's RAM because it starts period, so I guess it is the motherboard and I need a new computer, but I wanted to confirm my logic.

Thanks!

just off the top of my head, heres what id try:

1. open up the case
  2. check that all fans are spinning and are not obstructed
  3. some bios can display RPMs/temps without fully booting the pc
  4. if one is running slower than normal replace it
  5. add an external fan to blow into the case/crack a window if its cold outside
  6. boot the machine and run HWmonitor or a similar utility to determine which part(s) are getting too hot (also check fan rpms if available.)

I don't think it's a problem with the Windows installation because the second time I turn it on it shuts down before it even gets to the BIOS screen. I don't think it's RAM because it starts period, so I guess it is the motherboard and I need a new computer, but I wanted to confirm my logic.

Problem: Computer doesn't start. It's not windows. I know this because ________ ??

Solution: **ck it. Buy a new one. :blink:

Can't go wrong with that logic.

You might want to check the fans, as well as the temperatures in BIOS before chucking it. When the CPU overheats or the CPU fan stops working, the system shuts down to avoid damage and a possible fire hazard.

This would explain why its shutting down so quickly the second time. The CPU is already pre-heated and when you turn it on again, it shuts itself off quickly to avoid bursting into flames.

If its not the CPU, check the North Bridge as well as your videocard since they can also overheat.

Edited by weEvil

Problem: Computer doesn't start. It's not windows. I know this because ________ ??

Solution: **ck it. Buy a new one. :blink:

Can't go wrong with that logic.

You might want to check the fans, as well as the temperatures in BIOS before chucking it. When the CPU overheats or the CPU fan stops working, the system shuts down to avoid damage and a possible fire hazard.

This would explain why its shutting down so quickly the second time. The CPU is already pre-heated and when you turn it on again, it shuts itself off quickly to avoid bursting into flames.

If its not the CPU, check the North Bridge as well as your videocard since they can also overheat.

Haha, I will check the fans next time I get the chance, thanks/.

When you "check the fans" also be sure to check/clean out the heatsinks that the fans blow over.

Even a thin layer of dust can block enough airflow, causing the CPU to overheat. AMD CPUs (at least of the Athlon/Duron era) can't run very long without airflow, but Intel CPUs can't take much more abuse either.

A can of compressed air or a compressor will help with that.

If you use a compressor to blow it out, be sure to stop the fans from spinning (more important on video cards), as that can cause fans to become defective.