Bootable CD?

Darnat

I'm new here folks so please take it easy on me....

I have burnt an ISO to disc but the problem is,is that it will not boot on the wifes PC...all the other PC's not problem????

Can someone help me here....?

Oh & don't shout at me if this is in the wrong forum...didn't know where else I could put it...lol

Telling us what the burned CD contains, HOW you burned it and some spec's on "wife's PC" (like OS running, CD drive make/model, approximate year of build) might be useful....

....for all we know wife's PC could be a 1992 IBM PS/2 with external Mitsumi CDROM (1x) running OS/2 WARP..... ;)

jaclaz

We will need more information to fully diagnose your problem. Also your question could be a little clearer.

Is your problem that your computer wont auto boot to your optical drive or that your computer will not run auto play when you insert disk?

If it is the first I would most likely say your cdrom is not first in your boot order or that your cdrom drive could be bad.

If it is the second it could be a couple of things but I would rather know more information before listing what is possible and what needs to be fixed.

Please respond with a clearer question and more information.

Also make sure that your drive can hand the type of media you're giving it. Some drives only play specific media so a DVD-r will not play but a DVD+r will and vice versa. I know you said your was a CD but I am just making an example.

Edited by mrd05d

Telling us what the burned CD contains, HOW you burned it and some spec's on "wife's PC" (like OS running, CD drive make/model, approximate year of build) might be useful....

....for all we know wife's PC could be a 1992 IBM PS/2 with external Mitsumi CDROM (1x) running OS/2 WARP..... ;)

jaclaz

You beat me to it I had to load the spell checker and type it again :whistle:

Additional notes (my 2 cents) -

If wife's PC has an older CD-reader and/or BIOS, it might not be able to read/boot it for three reasons - the speed at which you burned it OR the file system OR the reader (if older) may not be able to read 700mb CD's (650mb only).

As was stated, how did you burn it? A direct copy should work (low burn speed, preferably 650mb CD-R if an older reader), otherwise it would be the parameters used to build the ISO. Also as was stated, check the BIOS for the Boot Order.

P.S. Don't forget to get back to this topic and tell us more info and/or results. Lots of people never post back that their problem is resolved (and how it was resolved).

jaclaz

This is very strange as it works on my 2 other PC's but not this one.....got me thinking now that the PC may be too old for this?????

It's the LOL CD.Have the iso here burnt it with image burn to CD-R(<----Wonder if this maybe the problem?)

XP PRO sp2 (2002)

AMD aTHLON xp 2000

1.66Ghz 1.50 Ram

DVD DRIVES

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B

HL-DT-ST DVDROM GDR8162B

Edited by Darnat

Uhhh, are the specs above your wife's or what you burned the CD on? If your wife's, then there should be no prob. Again, Boot Order In BIOS! (and yes, some insist on booting from FIRST optical reader and not the second, but probably not the case of a MoBo that "new" as above). My MoBo boots from either (first is a CD-RW and the second is a DVD-RAM).

Edited by submix8c

Geek squad MRI

Which brings us to a fork, either:

a. you are a Geek squad member, you are authorized to use the software and you know (supposedly ;)) how to use and burn it

b. you are not a Geek squad member and the MRI should be considered WAREZ :ph34r:

If you look hard enough, you should see something like this:

Confidential Trade Secret of 04-08© Geek Squad (Best Buy Enterprise Services, Inc.) For Internal Use Only.

(see Rule #1):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=18408

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

ok first off, LOL @ geek squad. I dont know which would be worse, working for geek squad (which is what hell must be like) or using their utils when you dont have to (because you dont work there)

but im going with rageaddict on this one.

oh, and right forum. but wrong site if you aren't employed by GS. If you are employed by GS but id guess they aren't paying you to fix your wife's PC so i don't think that qualifies as 'internal use'