auto install creates a bunch of user names

taltamir

I am trying to create an automated install for windows XP home OEM SP3. I disabled the OOBE because it tends to break everything up, and have been messing with the settings. But it keeps on creating weird users.

I get a "New User". I get a user called "Owner" that i have no idea where he popped from, and I get the user I tried to create, User (as well as the hidden administrator account, but that is blissfully hidden).

Any suggestions? my _u.ini file is attached.

The three users I create in the users box:

Administrator (no pass, can't remove), guest (disabled), and User (administrator group, no password, must have a second user other then hidden admin account in XP Home).

XP_Autoinstall__needs_key__u.ini

Edited by taltamir

how about renaming the owner account to yourself, rather than creating a new user. -- a workaround sort of but solves both.

Adding registry entries to modify

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

RegisteredOwner and RegisteredOrganization

how about renaming the owner account to yourself, rather than creating a new user. -- a workaround sort of but solves both.

You MUST have a user account in addition to guest and Administrator in windows XP >HOME<.

In XP pro i just have guest (disabled) and The admin user renamed to User (my username of choice IS user...).

Also... registry editing? I am talking about making a silent install version of windows with everything preconfigured just right (except CD key which has to manually be inputted) for deployment on many machines. I mean, if the install is already done its simpler to just delete the extra user accounts then to edit the registry.

Edited by taltamir

registry entries are a fantastic part of unattended installs.

You can set em at T-13 from cmdlines.cmd

at the runonceex.

or from the nice little regtweaks.reg

a user account in addition to administrator and guest = the owner account (renamed)

I dont understand what the solution is lacking for. Unless of course if owner doesnt count either.

...for deployment on many machines.

You agreed to the nLite Eula when you first installed it. (It is displayed by the installer.)

LICENSE AGREEMENT:

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can only be distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

You cannot use use nLite for buisness or distribution.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Good eye Idaho!

though "many machines" could be "(all my) many machines" - but I am all about the devils advocate.

because to be honest I was answering the aversion to registry entries immediately and half-a** reading the last sentence.

It is indeed all of my machines, and all my friend's. I am trying to share the nlite love with them. And by many I mean 4 or 5...

Regardless, the workaround is EXTREMELY simple...

1. Install.

2. start > control panel > users > delete the two extra users...

This is a bug report about there actually BEING 2 extra users where there shouldn't be any. Regardless of who I am the bug exists.

the setting calls (aka I am trying to create) 3 user accounts:

1. Administrator

2. Guest

3. User

The install creates 5 user accounts (2 extras):

1. Administrator

2. Guest

3. User

4. Owner

5. New User

Edited by taltamir

taltamir, I think the more fundamental question is why are you seeing all these weird accounts? Really weird symptoms often mean the source has been used more than once running nLite. You should always start with a fresh copy of your original CD's files/folders. All integration should then be accomplished in one nLite session. Please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini and in general you should not post your _u.ini file. Enjoy, John.

taltamir, I think the more fundamental question is why are you seeing all these weird accounts?

That is what I would like to figure out.

Really weird symptoms often mean the source has been used more than once running nLite.

It happened the first time, although i reused the source for the subsequent passes. I did NOT however do anything other then an automated install. (err, although the first time i checked tweaks and options in the main, but didn't change anything in them. unless they make a change by default it should be clean).

You should always start with a fresh copy of your original CD's files/folders. All integration should then be accomplished in one nLite session.

I thought it is not a problem to take an unattended install and give it new settings. But I will try with a non unattended source.

Please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini and in general you should not post your _u.ini file. Enjoy, John.

Yea, but I checked and I saw it includes your passwords, and the CD key... however i elected to input neither, so I Saw the file was clean before uploading it.

file attached. (not last session but saved session, its what i used in my last session).

XP_Autoinstall__needs_key_.ini

taltamir, it looks to me like you are running nLite under VISTA 64 bit creating an ISO of XP 32 bit. This may well not work. You should try running nLite.exe in SP2 XP Compatibility Mode. Find nLite.exe, right click it and select Properties-Compatibility tab-check Run this program....-select SP2 XP Compatibility in pull down list. Enjoy, John.