Is vlite dead?

JatinBeniwal

Is vlite dead?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is vlite Dead?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don,t know

Is vlite dead or in hibernation as there is no new posts from nuhi in his hompage vlite.net for last 3 months

In order to get some information you need to increase the font size, turn it in red and add something like "!!!!!!!111" at the end.

It's always possible he moved on to other things.
It would still be more than polite to give heads up if the development is halted for longer period or ended. There are a *lot* of people checking for new version every day.

His profile says "On vacation" Maybe he got tired of the "When is the next version comming out?" posts...
No, it´s not that, it´s the: "How do I get things back, HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!" topics... Just reinstall with the original disk ;).

No, it´s not that, it´s the: "How do I get things back, HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!" topics... Just reinstall with the original disk ;).

Heck, thats driving ME crazy and I'm not even reading them anymore. I cant imagine the crap nuhi has to put up with.

if its not the "How do I get things back, HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!" topics that drove him away it was probably the "HHHEEEELLLPPP!!! I downloaded Windows XP SuperCoolEiteWarezInternalMicrosoftEmployeesOnly Edition and it says you made it and now its broke!" emails. "On Vacation" might just be a euphemism for "Locked up in a straight jacket for for planning the elaborate execution of a warez kiddie"

well i do think it is dead.

Original goal of vlite is to reduce and speed up Vista

but in my humble opinion and by reading all posts since long time

it seem that it is not really working as well as it worked for XP.

The winsxs folder keep installs big and many many compatibility problems

sprout from everywhere as time go by.

I remember an insolent member who started a topic about fitting vista on a floppy .

This made me laugh a lot but i do think he was not far from the truth.

my two cents :}

vLite can help, but in the end there is only so much that can be done and Vista will never be as fast as XP. I wanted to watch a video on Hulu.com and it skipped and stuttered on 480p video to no end on Vista (w/ DWM/Aero Glass disabled and using Windows Standard theme). So I ditched it again for the n'th time and put XP back on. XP plays as smooth as butter even on 720p... and I don't even use nLite at all. I will give SP2 a try when it is finished but it'll probably still be disappointing.

Then again if you have a really, really high-end system with like 20 cores and a petabyte of RAM you probably wouldn't notice the massive increase in Vista's overhead and losing a few of your 100000 frames per second.

Edited by redxii

vLite can help, but in the end there is only so much that can be done and Vista will never be as fast as XP. I wanted to watch a video on Hulu.com and it skipped and stuttered on 480p video to no end on Vista (w/ DWM/Aero Glass disabled and using Windows Standard theme). So I ditched it again for the n'th time and put XP back on. XP plays as smooth as butter even on 720p... and I don't even use nLite at all. I will give SP2 a try when it is finished but it'll probably still be disappointing.
Note that this would have less to do with Vista and more to do with the video driver, unless you were using 1GB or less of RAM (in which case the behavior you state would be something I would expect with 1GB or less of RAM - only Home Basic has a minimum requirement of 512MB of RAM, and all other versions state 1GB, and running "minimum" requirments gets you "minimum" performance).

People tend to complain about Vista being "slow" on 512MB or 1GB RAM machines compared to XP, and that is true - but one has to remember that the XP codebase is much closer to the original NT codebase than Vista is, has fewer features (yes, these do use resources), and the code is 8 - 9 years old in most cases - it is leaner, and runs faster (it's also less secure and has fewer features, but that's the trade-off). That versus Vista's codebase, which is circa 2005/2006 code (and it could be argued Vista SP1 is the "real" Vista, circa 2007/2008). Regardless of how you feel about it, running Vista on an older CPU with less than 2GB of RAM *will* likely end in frustration.

I have been wondering if VLite is dead also. I got SP2 for vista and would like to integrate into my install disk but im not sure if it work. I am just wondering how much more can the guy do. aybe if he got fedup of programming NLite and VLite he could pass on the source code to an experienced programmer to continue on his projects.

well i do think it is dead.

Original goal of vlite is to reduce and speed up Vista

but in my humble opinion and by reading all posts since long time

it seem that it is not really working as well as it worked for XP.

The winsxs folder keep installs big and many many compatibility problems

sprout from everywhere as time go by.

I remember an insolent member who started a topic about fitting vista on a floppy .

This made me laugh a lot but i do think he was not far from the truth.

my two cents :}

LOL WUT

Anywho. I've never had any problems using a vLite'd Vista. I used this little trick where I didn't remove anything I need. Works great!

What would a newer version provide? Is a new service pack out?