Critical Services Fail after Corrupt Registry.

Cheeze

So, The "Family Computer" restarted while my brother was playing a game, Upon rebooting it yeilded an error along the lines of

Corrupt Registry...

\System32\config\SYSTEM

So I whacked in the Installation CD and chose "Recover"Took a few mins, Restarted, Problem Solved

... erm No ...

After a while, I noticed the Network Connection icon was a little red "X". Checked Cables, Fine. Went into Network Sharing Centre, "The dependency or group failed to start". So I services, the "Network Store Interface Service" was not running (it was set to automatic) all that depend on it were also not running, whenever I try to start them I get "Error: 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start." So I try to start the NSIS and I get "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." The same goes for the COM+ Event System and its' dependencies.

I've checked the Event Log and it Just lists the aforementioned errors at startup but with no additional information.

I do not have any restore points (Too Tight on disk space) I've tried using a backup of the SYSTEM hive with no effect.

System File Checker reports no problematic files.

ipconfig reports my network adapter(s) with Link-Local IP addresses (Not surprising as DHCP Client won't start.)

This is on a 64bit Version of Windows Vista Home Premium.

Edited by Cheeze

I don't believe your registry got corrupted because of a restart. I crashed games before when OCing my computer and never anything this bad.

Do a virus scan/malware scan.

Try:

AntiVir classic

Adaware Free Edition

Spybot S&D

It might find a pest which broke the system.

You will still need to re-format and install the OS. Hope you have a disc handy.

Already done, I've seen forced shutdown's corrupting partition tables (Or maybe the other way round, not sure), There's no chance of a virus anyway, mainly because I'm the only one with install rights and my family aren't stupid enough to download anything dodgy. Besides, what use would a virus that disables the internet be?

EDIT: Just so you know, I installed "Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3" the day before, I remember EA getting a bit of stick because people thought they were finding RootKits after installing Spore.

Edited by Cheeze

Ohhhh.....

Yeah. Rootkits can do that. I don't know the circumstances, maybe EAs rootkit found something it didn't like and tried to disable/change the entry leading to a corrupted registry.

It is known to disable CD burning, and emulation tools like Alcohol 120%, Nero, Daemon tools.