Where are my drivers located? [Non-Solved!]

Randomness

In VLite you are supposed to be able to integrate your drivers in the "Integration" configuration. When you click "Insert", you are asked about whether to include a single driver or a folder with multiple drivers. I would really like to do this, as I know that my recovery CD did not come with the latest drivers. However, I'm having difficulties with locating the drivers on my hard drive. Where are they? Also, are you supposed to integrate all of them, or just the most important ones? :huh:

Edited by Randomness

Download the latest ones from your hardware manufacturer,

if u have an asus or intel motherboard, go to their site and find your model to download the right drivers.

Same for your videocard and all other parts.

Then include everything u can during install, there might be some special instructions to follow like extracting files before including, etc.

Keep the downloaded files on the dvd, you'll either need them right away or eventually.

You can try the virtual pc 2007 sp1 to try out your home made dvd, it'll save you time and frustration and many reboots.

Yes, I am aware of that. What I need help with is locating the drivers on the hard drive. I do not know in which folder path they are stored. Thanks for the last tips, though. That will come in handy! :lol:

EDIT: I downloaded DriverMAX and exported the drivers to a folder of which location I chose! So case closed.

Edited by Randomness

EDIT: I downloaded DriverMAX and exported the drivers to a folder of which location I chose! So case closed.
You what!, Haha.

You integrated drivers that were exported by a program! Like the person before you said, download all drivers to a folder of your choice and integrate that. Not the drivers that you exported with Drivermax.

Not necessarily. Programs that backup drivers are really for when you lose your original driver CD's or can't find them on the internet. These programs do their best in recovering the driver's inf and associated files but might miss some of them. Whereas the original drivers - you have all the files.

So, it's best to download the latest drivers before you resort to exporting drivers.

Okay. I created a folder on my desktop and downloaded all the drivers which I got from my manufacturer's site (Dell.com). However, when I click insert and select that folder, not a single driver pops up. Why might that be? My thoughts are that they are all saved as *.exe files and no *.inf files. But what should I then do to import them? :unsure:

EDIT: Would it be okay if I first installed all the newest drivers, and then exported them with DriverMAX?

Edited by Randomness

Ill try to be patient with you as you seem to have little clue what youre doing here.

*Create a empty folder.

*Download and Install universal extractor.

*Download Everest or some other utility that shows what hardware you have.

*Go trough the list name-by name and go to the manufacturers website(no not Dell) to download newest drivers for specific devices the hardware utylity shows you.

*Make sure all drivers you downloaded are in the folder you created earlier.

*Some files are folders that contain .inf and other files - these are ok.

*Most drivers are single .exe file.Rightclick on the exe and choose uniextract to subfolder (Universal extractor created nessesary shortcuts earlier into contect menu).

*Now in vLite integrate tab choose multiple driver folder .vLite should choose all correct drivers and thats it.

Thanks a lot! I think the reason for me misunderstanding all of this was because NVidia directed me to Dell's site when I wanted to download the drivers for my GPU. Thereby I thought that I "had" to do it this way, and when that didn't work, I was out of ideas. I've also tried going through the System32/drivers folder and copying files from there, but they were all .sys-files. So yeah, this solution was pretty much the only one I did not cover in depth. Again, thanks!

You don't have to find *ALL* the drivers, by the way. Most of the drivers will be installed by windows. And most of the time, generic drivers will be installed, such as generic video, sound, network, modem. And these will work. But for optimizing your system, you should at least download you video driver and the chipset if available.

Sound can be important if you want to take full advantage for higher end. Network and modem are lesser important.

To Nvidia Displayer card driver ,you simply extract the EXE with Winrar, it works perfect!

For Ati and Other drivers ,you may have to click install,

Often ,the drivers would first be extracted to a temp folder , at least ati works this way

all used drivers are kept in the System32 drivers folder,