Asus Xonar DX

Octopuss

Allright, does anyone have this supposedly great card? I am just about to go buy it.. Is there anything I should reconsider before doing so?

The only negative thing I read is something about lack of native Pci-e chip, which I don't quite understand... sound-wise it's supposed to be pretty much the best for the money it cost.

Well, I bought it anyway. It cost $100 which is a killer I believe. Auzentech is surely better, but at over twice the price! I only listen to mp3s, watch movies on stereo speakers and play some games. Hundred bucks is pretty much what I would invest anyway.

I got a problem though (lol). The card doesn't work at all! It's PCI express type and needs additional power supply (standard FDD cable). Everything plugged in and nothing. It doesn't even show up in the BIOS pre-boot screen with various devices listing. I don't get it at all - even tried 3 other pci-e slots and different cables. Nothing. Anyone got any idea?

"It's PCI express type and needs additional power supply (standard FDD cable)."

i guess i esd confused on if you have the FDD cable plugged in or not.

rereading you post sounds like you did plug it in, sorry about the confusion.

Edited by ripken204

It's simply not possible to test every device that's sent out from manufacturers. Random samples are often taken to get a statistical analysis of failure rates in manufacturing, and for the most part the tolerances are pretty strict. Some DOA products are expected in just about any market today.

It's simply not possible to test every device that's sent out from manufacturers.

Depends on the industry I guess. All our products are tested, more than once too (and then a percentage taken as samples, for further testing, like temperature tests, vibration tests, etc)

But yeah, there will always be a small percentage of DOA products no matter what you do.

True. I was talking about the computer industry where it's simply cheaper to replace a DOA product than to test each item that comes off the assembly line.

Yeah, I figured as much. Our profit margins are also a lot higher (and our stuff isn't made in China/Korea or such).

Anyways. DOA happens regardless. Packaging problems, all chips have failure rates, soldering problems, problems with the assembly, ...

And then again, I'd say ~3/4 of our returns are perfectly working products (user error mainly), and about 3/4 of the rest is due to something the user did (managed to plug it backwards, dropped it, etc).

There won't ever be a mass-produced product that won't get returns.