SP3?

Messerschmitt

I see Service Pack 3 in my automatic updates list.

I heard SP3 was unstable a several months ago. Did that changed? Is it now as stable as SP2 now? Is it now a standard to have SP3 like SP2 is/was? Should I go ahead and let it install it from the automatic update list?

Also any point in installing IE7 since I only use Firefox (extremely rearely I would use IE for 1 or 2 sites I know they don't like any other than IE - like my bank).

I heard SP3 was unstable a several months ago. Did that changed?

It wasn't unstable. And that hasn't changed as it's still the same SP3.

Also any point in installing IE7 since I only use Firefox

I'm also a Firefox-only user, but then again, any point in not installing that update?

SP2 w/ all updates should be just as good as SP3. Installing a service pack is a major update and might just cause problems on a stable system. I always do a clean install with the service pack integrated if I want to upgrade to the next service pack.

As for IE.. your call. Just keep it updated. IE's rendering engine can be used in just about any application and is what Windows Explorer or WMP use, so you're not in the clear just because you don't open the blue IE icon.

I believe that MS will (at the end of January 2009) stop taking orders for XP OEM CD's (system builder edition). No doubt it will still be available from distributors for a few months after that until they run out.

Does anyone know if MS will (or has) rolled up SP3 into that system-builder CD, or will XP end it's days as only being available from MS as an SP2 CD, with SP3 being an additional patch that is applied later?

Does anyone know if MS will (or has) rolled up SP3 into that system-builder CD, or will XP end it's days as only being available from MS as an SP2 CD, with SP3 being an additional patch that is applied later?
It is available for system builders but I haven't seen a consumer version.

It is available for system builders but I haven't seen a consumer version.

The last time I bought a System Builder copy of XP (about a month ago) it was still the "2002" version, SP2. It was not SP3.

Here in the UK, the ONLY OEM/System Builder version of XP available is SP3 -- and has been for several months.

The CD (and booklet) still says "Version 2002" on it but that doesn't mean anything much, because the CD also says "Includes Service Pack 3" and "© 2008 Microsoft Corporation".

Hi,

SP3 contains more fixes than SP2 with all automatic updates. There are several patches you have to download seperatly on a sp2 system.

And I installed SP3 on some SP2 systems without a problem.

But you can check the Microsoft page for known problems with SP3.

Regards, Nils.