SP4

T.N.G.O.G.

Yes, you need the Rollup.

However.

The Rollup installs file system filters and a bunch of useless reg keys called explorer templates. But it's a hotfix that is 95% good, so apply it anyway.

Win2k works fine without the file system filters (as does XP, if you know how to rip this component out -- no, nLite doesn't offer it).

Getting into the specifics of how to edit the Rollup to remove the explorer templates and the minifilters is way more than I want to type, but just wanted to say yes -- you should apply the Rollup.

As for a firewall, I'd recommend a hardware one. I will be honest and tell you that when I installed Win2k without IE on my sister-in-law's laptop, and visited her a year later, I noticed she had it plugged directly into the cable modem and was bypassing the router/firewall she'd bought (for whatever reason). Her ISP did not provide any sort of port hiding. She'd never had any problems whatsoever. As for a default install of win2k, one with IE, I'd want to use a firewall. Note that the default in the tcpip setup file is to run NetBIOS over TCP/IP, for one thing. Etc etc.

Edited by fdv

Yes, you need the Rollup.

However.

The Rollup installs file system filters and a bunch of useless reg keys called explorer templates. But it's a hotfix that is 95% good, so apply it anyway.

Win2k works fine without the file system filters (as does XP, if you know how to rip this component out -- no, nLite doesn't offer it).

Getting into the specifics of how to edit the Rollup to remove the explorer templates and the minifilters is way more than I want to type, but just wanted to say yes -- you should apply the Rollup.

As for a firewall, I'd recommend a hardware one. I will be honest and tell you that when I installed Win2k without IE on my sister-in-law's laptop, and visited her a year later, I noticed she had it plugged directly into the cable modem and was bypassing the router/firewall she'd bought (for whatever reason). Her ISP did not provide any sort of port hiding. She'd never had any problems whatsoever. As for a default install of win2k, one with IE, I'd want to use a firewall. Note that the default in the tcpip setup file is to run NetBIOS over TCP/IP, for one thing. Etc etc.

With the help of SP4 and that update rollup, everything is running smooth. Thanks for the info too.

Actually without SP4 and the update rollup, i notice alot of programs would not work and the OS seems unstable at times. So those 2 files are much needed. Now everything is great.

Edited by T.N.G.O.G.

It seems like Windows 2000 is the best OS ever. Its really easy on the CPU, i mean game performance is amazing. Way better then win9x and XP. Well i say XP, because with my system specs , XP is too demanding, but with w2k is perfect. Another weird thing, i would think that win9x would have better performance on my cpu then w2k, but its the other way around, w2k is the best OS for this computer.