What's a good (non MS) tool to share files over LAN

srk999

My router is 54 mbps, which is very common. But I don't get that speed over tightVNC when transferring files between 2 PCs.

What is a good tool that's made for the sole purpose of transferring files over lan, and can transfer files as fast as the network permits?

Many people suggested the built in xp file sharing tool. but, for some reason that tool is stripped off my xp version. also, it seems, that tool needs a lot of settings.

I was looking for something like remobo or hamachi, but for lan.

If you have a user account on both systems why not just open an explorer window and type \\%computername%\c$ and drag and drop what you need?

- Or mapping a drive to the 'shared' folder on the destination system.

- Or cuteFTP or any other FTPclient and pull it over a dedicated port. I get a much better rate doing mgets than dragging from a remote.

And I think the max rate you are going to get in your scenario is the upload rate of the device you are pulling from, but that could be very limited to my experiences.

I agree with iamtheky.

If you can't use Windows file sharing, next best would be FTP, because:

- You need only TCP/IP protocol.

- It can reach (nearly) the top speed of your network. I doubt there's anything (significantly) faster.

- You don't depend on one vendor/program or even operating system. There are many clients/servers.

- But might be a little tricky to set up, depending on the software.

GL

as I said on the post, for some reason my version of XP is stripped-off of all those file sharing tools that come built in.

Even then I tried to set up a shared folder yesterday. but failed. also failed to set up a filezilla server. for some reason I can't see the ftp server. or may be I am just doing it wrong.

For that reason I am relying on tightVNC for now.

btw, I turned off all the firewall when doing these.

I was just looking for a third party software that does file sharing over lan.

Edited by srk999

when you try and browse to a system share on the destination do you get prompted for a login?

If so, can you login with an administrator account local to the destination?

\\%destinationIP%\c$ or \\%destinationIP%\admin$ (I would use IP to eliminate name resolution)

seeing how it reacts to known available shares might yield some informational errors.