What Firewall do you use in Win9x?

gkar

My theory is that with stealth, any attempt to check to see if a port is open is negative, just as if no computer was

For the common port scan, that's true. Those ports will respond to other types of scans, so stealth is not total by any means. Stealth may stop a script kiddie with a port scanner from finding you but an experienced cracker with NMAP won't be fooled. Stealth might help reduce the amount of amateur probing your systems gets but I don't see where it gives any real increase in protection. That said, it doesn't hurt anything either, unless you run a server or your ISP insists on being able to ping you. IMO, it's more important for the ports to be closed, even if the firewall is off, than it is for them to be silent. It's also more important that any ports on your system that need to accept incoming traffic for a specific app be limited to only accepting traffic from the IPs that app uses, not from all over.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the link to this firewall. I really like it, and considering replacing Kerio 2.1.5.
Well, don't thank me, thank soporific (ref. AutoPatcher 98SE). It is pretty basic and kind of mirrors a router (and then some). I kind of like it too (use it on my 98SE in dual-boot environment). Have to play with it, though... not for the "noobie" since you have to know how to set it up...

[Well, don't thank me, thank soporific (ref. AutoPatcher 98SE). It is pretty basic and kind of mirrors a router (and then some). I kind of like it too (use it on my 98SE in dual-boot environment). Have to play with it, though... not for the "noobie" since you have to know how to set it up...

Do you use any of the plug-ins?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

@ submix8c or anybody thats uses outpost free firewall v1

Can you shed a little light my way.

Haven't tried any of this additional functionality.

Look Here for BlockPost Plugin info and Here for the Outpost Guide. I think this may be what you want.

In particular Here (basic test of plugin appears to block the IP/HostName in an Untrusted Zone only, not the Port). Try that and see if it fulfills your need

HTH

edit: and FWIW look here. Appears to be a 6.5/6.51 Free version...

Edited by submix8c

Haven't tried any of this additional functionality.

Look Here for BlockPost Plugin info and Here for the Outpost Guide. I think this may be what you want.

In particular Here (basic test of plugin appears to block the IP/HostName in an Untrusted Zone only, not the Port). Try that and see if it fulfills your need

HTH

edit: and FWIW look here. Appears to be a 6.5/6.51 Free version...

Thanks, but I think I will stick with v1, its liter on resources and it robust IMO.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

@ herbalist

I notice you use Kerio 2.1.5. When you install it, do you use the advance ruleset from http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708.

If so, are there any obsolete rules that needs to be deleted? I know it was created back in 2003 so maybe some things may not apply as back then.

I have created a ruleset based of Kerio 2.1.5 for Outpost free v1. All I need to do know is fine-tune it and pray I will be secure. Thanks