Need RAM advice

m16si

There's no point in getting smaller sticks. It just fills up more slots for nothing, so the next time you want to upgrade, you'll have to discard some of your existing RAM first (if not all, like if you wanted to upgrade to 8GB, whereas with 2x2GB you'd just add more). Plus, it's no cheaper.

The reason why people went before with 1GB sticks went is that they had better timings, but that seems to be history these days; there are good and not expensive 2GB sticks with tight timings.

What CPU are you going to use any way?

These are amazing and inexpensive at the same time : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231148

In fact, I was considering ordering some of that, and seeing how well it plays with my existing OCZ Platinum... Partly because I don't want to play the mail in rebate thing with OCZ stuff again (didn't get it back last time)

The reason why people went before with 1GB sticks went is that they had better timings, but that seems to be history these days; there are good and not expensive 2GB sticks with tight timings.

What CPU are you going to use any way?

punto is correct, people made a big fuss over that a few years ago, go for the 2x2GB packages now.

also, you need DDR3, do not go to the links posted above.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2852

the website for your mobo says it support ddr3, there is no mention of ddr2. ddr3 is more expensive than ddr2 at this time but the prices are falling pretty fast.

Edited by ripken204

DDR3 is dropping down in price so fast it's unbelievable (ncix even has a 2x1GB 1333 CL9 kit on for $40). That's perhaps twice as much as a decent DDR2 kit goes for, which isn't too bad of a price premium for such cutting edge stuff.

Some mobos for Core i7 can be had for cheap-ish too already (~$50 more than good P45 mobos -- not bad at all for a X58 board!). Now if only core i7 had price drops... It's gonna be pretty cheap soon I guess.

Edited by crahak

yes but i would suggest waiting for the revision of it, there are always issues with new architectures. there are not that many motherboards to choose from and no decent kits of ram yet.

next summer is when i believe we will see i7 in its full glory :)

Indeed, why buy a dual channel DDR3 motherboard with a P45 chipset.

Or you stay with DDR2 and go for the P45, or go with DDR3 and the X58 (new rev. or not).

If he´s on a budget then just go for the DDR2 P45 motherboard and if you pick gigabyte then go for the Ultra Durable 3 series...

He would be better of spending less on the chipset and RAM (read DDR3) and go for a faster storage setup or video card.

ripken204, long time no see ;).

Missed the DDR3 part... still not used to the fact that there are starting to be people that are using that.
Same here :P.