Connect to Active Directory using Windows Xp Pro

Kurtje74

Hi all,

I'm studying for a practical exam (horror)...

One of the possible assignments could be to prep a pc with win xp pro (easy). But then comes the tricky part...we also have to know Active Directory (!).

So we obviously should create a computer and user account to put it all on the domain. There will be quite a lot of candidates, so I don't think they will let us run from our desktops to a server or a win xp pro pc with the Active Directory 2003 server tools on it.

I think the assignment will be to install the Active Directory 2003 tools on our pc and make connection to the AD on the Domain Controller or Server...

I know this is possible, but I really have no idea how to deal with that... The exam is coming up soon...and I'm getting a bit nervous.

Could anyone of you help me with this tricky part please?

Many thanks in advance!!!

There's nothing tricky about joining a client to a domain.

Right-click My Computer>Properties>Computer Name>Change

However, make sure that the client knows the IP address of the DNS server (either via DHCP, or manually).

Then install the Admin Tools. Job done!

Thx FAT64!!

But suppose in the worst case scenario:

They give me a win xp pro cd and the AD 2003 admin tools...

I prep a pc, so my only account is the administrator account on the local pc, not on the domain.

I also install the AD admin tools on the local pc. But how can I make contact with the AD on the domain controller or server. I should make a computer and user account in AD before I can use the AD tools to put the pc in the domain. The local admin account is not enough in my opinion.

Is this option possible or not? I asked in my local computer store and they told me it's possible, but they can't remember how to do it...

If it's possible, then I guess it's a tricky question I'm afraid...

If you are not told the Username & Password of a Domain Administrator account, then what you are trying is impossible.

To join a client to a Domain you need the information as above and you're good to go.

It's really very simple. :thumbup