[Tool] NAR - Nero Application Remover

x-Shadow-x

Well here is my first release, I have been working on this for a little bit, and I want to share it.

There is no support for this rite now, I have no time to work on it. There will be a new NAR coming out when I have time. You can use the versions in this thread for now, if they don't work, too bad.

29vdses.jpg

Extractor

2e1d1mo.gif

Info

Nero original file size: 370Mb's

Nero Unpacked size: 1.74-1.84GB's (depending on what version)

Instructions 

This will step you through all the steps to make a custom installer for Nero 9.
I have made it so you cannot remove crucial files.

You need to extract the Nero 9 installer. Now there are 2 ways you can do this. You can use the Extractor (which is at the bottom of the page), or you can use 7zip. Im going to use the Extractor. Extract the Extractor to where the Nero 9 installer is. Then drag the Nero 9 installer onto the the Extractors exe. The Extractor will open and start extracting the files. Wait untill it extracts then rename the extracted folder to "Nero".

Now to remove the applications and languages you dont need. You will need NAR (which you can get at the bottom of the page). Extract it into the Nero folder and run it. Select the applications and languages you dont want/need and press Ok. It will delete all of the folders containing all of the unneeded applications and languages you selected. If you mess up, just re-extract the installer. Now you need to input your serial at the bottom of the app (where the XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX is), delete the "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX" and type\paste your serial in and hit replace. Your serial will replace the dummy serial. Once you have done that, you can select the default language for all of your nero apps (English is default). Once done, click the Create SFX button. It will start making the SFX, it may take a while to compress (depending on how many applications/Languages you removed). Once it has compressed, it is ready.

You now have your slimmed down and silent installer for Nero 9. You can add it to WPI or whatever you want.

Note: You need to input a real serial or the installation will fail.
Note: Do not close NAR when you are creating the SFX.
Note: There is a right click context menu if you need help, its there.

This is still new so if you find any bugs or have an idea to make it better, please post here.

Note: If you have used a earlier version of NAR (earlier then v1.2.3), please clean your files/registr with General Cleaning Tool.

Note: I have posted a beta which might work for some of you, if you want to test it, please do so. If you get an error, pleaase refer to post #122.

Download:

NAR 1.2.4

http://www.2shared.com/file/4510309/c990a5ca/NAR.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WBSCPW35

Extractor

http://www.2shared.com/file/4510691/1042545a/Extract.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=34A1PEC8

Extractor x64

http://www.2shared.com/file/4772401/aa85a7...xtract_x64.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZAUUM40T

;-------------

NAR-BETA

http://www.2shared.com/file/4568973/1c07ab3a/NAR-Beta.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YJDDQRVJ

;-------------

Download is in bottom right corner.

2v84rq1.jpg

Edited by x-Shadow-x

I have this error with Nero-9.0.9.4c_trial

7-Zip 4.57 Copyright © 1999-2007 Igor Pavlov 2007-12-06

Processing archive: C:\Documents and Settings\Yulyo\Desktop\Nero-9.0.9.4c_trial.exe

Error: Can not open file as archive

I have this error with Nero-9.0.9.4c_trial

7-Zip 4.57 Copyright © 1999-2007 Igor Pavlov 2007-12-06

Processing archive: C:\Documents and Settings\Yulyo\Desktop\Nero-9.0.9.4c_trial.exe

Error: Can not open file as archive

What did you use to open it with?

And Ill work on adding a language removal tool.

Hey x-Shadow-x, this is to fix your quotes in Config.txt (one has to use a backspace):

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
GUIMode="2"
RunProgram="Setupx.exe /i /q SERIALNUMBER=\"xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx\" EULAACCEPTED=\"1\" INSTAPP=\"ALL\""
;!@InstallEnd@!

BTW I think WinRAR sfx would be better for this install, because I notice when you use 7zip sfx it extracts and launches SetupX.exe then the 7zipsfx.exe process will disappear from the taskmgr...when this happens to me I use WinRAR sfx because I notice it stays open until SetupX finishes

Edited by ricktendo64

To remove an app, you remove two folders: the unit_app_XX being the app itself, and if it exists unit_hlp_XX (the help for it obviously):

• 1: InCD
  • 4: Nero Burning Rom
  • 6: Nero Express
  • 5: Nero CoverDesigner
  • 10: Nero PhotoSnap
  • 12: Nero Recode
  • 13: Nero ShowTime
  • 14: Sountrax
  • 15: Nero StartSmart
  • 16: Nero Vision
  • 17: Nero WaveEditor
  • 19: Nero DriveSpeed
  • 20: Nero InfoTool
  • 21: Nero Rescue Agent
  • 22: Nero BurningRights
  • 50: Nero Disc Copy Gadget
  • 57: Nero DiscSpeed
  • 64: Movie Templates - Starter Kit
  • 71: Nero Live

You also always remove unit_app_75 (NeroAskToolbar)

Others (might not be present):

• 2: Nero 3D Studio
  • 3: Nero BackItUp 4
  • 7: Nero Home
  • 8: NeroImageDrive
  • 9: Nero MediaHome
  • 11: Nero PhotoSnap Viewer
  • 18: Nero CD DVD Speed
  • 30: Nero ProductInstaller 4
  • 49: Nero Move It
  • 51: Nero Mobile
  • 53: SecurDiscViewer
  • 56: NeroTest
  • 58: Nero LiquidTV
  • 63: Nero ControlCenter 4
  • 73: NeroRadioGadget
  • 74: NeroLiveGadget
  • 75: NeroAskToolbar
  • No numbers: Nero ScratchBox, Nero SoundBox, Nero AudioEffectLibrary, Nero Container, etc.

These infos brought to you by your neighbourly hex editor and setupx.exe from Nero 9 (search for <NERO> or <FAMILY name="Nero"> to view the full XML)

Edit (for the sake of completedness):

Seemingly you can just remove the extra language files (in subdirs) as-is, without breaking anything. Same goes with "runtime" folders, like unit_tpi_directx-9c-redist-d3dx9-30, unit_tpi_vcredist-x86-2005Sp1 and unit_tpi_windows-installer-3.1

Edited by crahak

That post wasn't to make you aware of that, but rather for other people who might have wanted those infos (instead of a tool, or perhaps to make their own, or just wanted to know what's going on, as a compiled autoit script doesn't let you peek). I don't think anyone posted that list yet (the forum search found nothing for that at least).

Just sharing the infos, that's all.

Edited by crahak

I downloaded chm files and updated the cabs with them, I also removed all the non english languages and edited the MSI installers to remove any langs from the installer too using installshield (also removed windows installer, dx redist and other misc stuff too)

I got a pretty small Nero 9 install now thanks x-Shadow-x

As for unattendedly making a WinRAR sfx I have never done it so anybody else know how to make a WinRAR sfx unattededly plz show us

Edited by ricktendo64

I downloaded chm files and updated the cabs with them

What chm files? For what? Just curious...

I also removed all the non english languages and edited the MSI installers to remove any langs from the installer too using installshield

That could be scripted. Deleting files is trivial. Modifying a MSI installer is fairly simple too (using the OpenDatabase and OpenView methods of the WindowsInstaller.Installer object and simple SQL-like commands) Looks like just removing the files works though (saves 300-some MBs).

(also removed windows installer, dx redist and other misc stuff too)

I figured that was probably fairly easy to strip too (haven't actually looked yet though)

As for unattendedly making a WinRAR sfx I have never done it so anybody else know how to make a WinRAR sfx unattededly plz show us

The help file (winrar.chm) has the infos about all the switches. The commands are stored as comments (added using command c, and loaded from a file using the -z switch, as the help file suggests)

Edit: BTW, you don't need a large and fancy thinstalled unpacker just for a standard 7zip sfx. Just "7z.exe x Nero-9.x.x.x.exe -oc:\some\path\" will do... That's trivial to script too.

Edited by crahak

1.8GB extracted (out of which like 165MB are used by unit_hlp_XX folders), and the help files are still optional? I'm speechless.

Edit: downloading them? trivial to do, using apps like wget...

Edited by crahak