Windows Updates

tommyp

thanks gluon! i was actually wondering where MBSASetup-x86-EN.exe goes this time (i used to have it in HFSVCPACK ... this time i think it goes to HFSVCPACK_SW1 ... or perhaps not to slipstream any longer). mimo, i might have overlooked it but it doesn't seem to be included in the list. your thoughts? thanks!

MBSASetup-x86-EN.msi goes to HFSVCPACK_SW1 (Note: it's .msi extension. tested ok on VM)

M2 - can you do me a favor? Can you see what file versions of wmvcore.dll you have on your system? Also, can you post your KB952069.log file too? Thanks!

I have two different wmvcore.dll:

in system32 v9.0.0.3362

in system32/dllcache v9.0.0.3268

Here is my 952069 log.

Thanks for trying to figure this out.

thanks gluon! i was actually wondering where MBSASetup-x86-EN.exe goes this time (i used to have it in HFSVCPACK ... this time i think it goes to HFSVCPACK_SW1 ... or perhaps not to slipstream any longer). mimo, i might have overlooked it but it doesn't seem to be included in the list. your thoughts? thanks!
MBSASetup-x86-EN.msi goes to HFSVCPACK_SW1 (Note: it's .msi extension. tested ok on VM)
thanks Geej ... it was an oversight ... more of being a typo. yeah it's a .msi ... & before the latest script, there wasn't HFSVCPACK_SW1 yet when i last created my build (about couple of years ago) so i had it in HFSVCPACK.;)

On a different note Mim0, I was interested in having RDC7 in my slipstream so I tried placing KB969084 in HF folder but I only find mstsc.exe of version 6.0.6001.18000. I also tried by taking out KB956744 from HF folder but to no avail. Then I tried placing KB969084 in HFSVCPACK_SW1 which worked, resulting in mstsc.exe of version 6.1.7600.16385. Could you please confirm that HF is the right folder to put KB969084? Any ideas why I keep failing in HF folder?
Before RDC7 is coming up I put Remote Desktop Connection 6.0 Client (KB925876) in the HF folder which seems to be correct (The client 6.0.6001 was installed with support for the remote desktop protocol 6.1). I didn't checked the integration of RDC7. I just looked at my installation and RDC7 (in HF) is not integrated. When HFSVCPACK_SW1 is working I will correct my list.

Normally after a HFSLIP-run I install XP in a VM and got to the windows-update-site. For my last run (KB969084 in HF) it shows the missing KB956744. I think the reason is the incorrect integration of KB969084.

- - - - - EDIT - - - - -

I've testet it and I can confirm that HFSVCPACK_SW1 id the right folder. :D THX to gluon!

With the correct integration of RDC7 the security update MS09-044 is not needed.

I've updated the list!

Edited by Mim0

hi Mim0! i got 4 updates in my add/remove programs lately, namely:

KB952011 (Windows Feature Pack for Storage (32-bit) - IMAPI update for Blu-Ray)

Q973688 (Security update for MSXML4 SP2 (KB973688))

KB973687 (Update for Windows XP (KB973687))

KB976098-v2 (Hotfix for Windows XP (KB976098-v2)) --- you've already posted this in your table :)

kindly take a look. thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

New Updates:

1. MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. (in the description Windows XP SP2 is written, but often it's also for SP3 -> should we check it?)
  2. MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.
  3. MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (KB973685) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.
  4. Update for Root Certificates [November 2009] (KB931125) This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program (the link in the artices goes to the old September version. For November version click here)
  5. Update for Windows XP (KB973687) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.
  6. Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB972187) A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. (After quick reading I think it's only an update of MS08-076 regarding Windows Embedded. I'll check it)

This is the unfiltered information from MS. More information regarding the use with HFSLIP is welcome. I will update the list asap.

CU, Mimo

Edited by Mim0

With the release of WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-ENU.exe the following security updates are obsolete:

WindowsXP-KB954459-x86-ENU.exe MS08-069 KB954459 Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0)

WindowsXP-KB955069-x86-ENU.exe MS08-069 KB955069 Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (Microsoft XML Core Services 3.0)

msxml6.dll and msxml3.dll are replaced.

[*]MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. (in the description Windows XP SP2 is written, but often it's also for SP3 -> should we check it?)

[*]MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.

[*]MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (KB973685) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.

You might want to double check these 3. The last 2 don't come with Windows XP. MSXML 4.0 is a seperate/optional install. The first one is only for Windows XP SP2 but I believe WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-ENU covers it already.

Edited by -X-

1. MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. (in the description Windows XP SP2 is written, but often it's also for SP3 -> should we check it?)
  2. MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.
  3. MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (KB973685) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.

You might want to double check these 3. The last 2 don't come with Windows XP. MSXML 4.0 is a seperate/optional install. The first one is only for Windows XP SP2 but I believe WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-ENU covers it already.
wouldn't these 3 overwrite msxml6-KB954459-enu-x86 & msxml4-KB954430-enu? Edited by Kiki Burgh

wouldn't these 3 overwrite msxml6-KB954459-enu-x86 & msxml4-KB954430-enu?

msxml4-KB954430-enu replaced by msxml4-KB973688-enu.exe, i have already check it.

-- ADD --

I can not install MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) on XP SP3 - at all. It's really for SP2.

I try install on clean system, and try to install over MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 1 - no result, installation aborted.

In other hand, when installed MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 1 on XP SP3, Windows update does not provide any updates for it, critical or optional. So, IMHO, we don't need it for SP3 updates list.

Edited by halfman

My results based on the HFSLIP-run from 2009-11-23 against windows-update (nothing else installed):

MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. (in the description Windows XP SP2 is written, but often it's also for SP3 -> should we check it?)
It will not be listed. halfman's experience confirms it (THX).
MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.
Will be listed!!! It will update MSXML4 from 4.20.9870.0 to 4.20.9876.0.
MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (KB973685) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.
Will not be listed of course but it will be important for someone with SP3. I make a note in my list.
Update for Root Certificates [November 2009] (KB931125) This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program (the link in the artices goes to the old September version. For November version click here)
I put it in my list.
Update for Windows XP (KB973687) Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included.
Will be listed as missing updated. It will update:

MSXML 3.0 SP10 from 8.100.1048.0 to 8.100.1050.0

MSXML 6.0 SP2 from 6.20.1099.0 to 6.20.1103.0

Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB972187) A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. (After quick reading I think it's only an update of MS08-076 regarding Windows Embedded. I'll check it)
I read the KB-article again and it was a little bit confusion but at the moment I'm sure it's for XP Embedded!!! :yes:

List will be updated!!!

Regards, Mimo

Update for Root Certificates [November 2009] (KB931125) This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program (the link in the artices goes to the old September version. For November version click here)
I put it in my list.

Mimo, I noticed a minor mistake in the published update above...

Last Update Check: 2009, November, 26 Last List Update: 2009, November, 26 HFSLIP 1.7.9 (final)

(line) 2009-05 Roots Certificates Update November 2009 (23.0.2195.0) Optional KB931125 rootsupd.exe HF

CORRECTION: The date should be 2009-11 (not 2009-05)

Great job. Thank you ever so much for all your good work.

Lilla

To mimo,

re: Mimo’s Windows XP Service Pack 3 update-list

re: Last Update Check: 2009, November, 26 Last List Update: 2009, November, 26 HFSLIP 1.7.9 (final)

<line> 2007-03 User Profile Hive Cleanup Service 1.6d Optional n/a UPHClean-Setup.msi (necessary with SP3?) HFGUIRUNONCE (I don’t use it)

Mimo, Yes, UPHClean is necessary with SP3! I install this on all Windows XP computers.

Ms WinXP UPHClean Service 1.6d is part of Vista, it is not part of XP SP3 so you must install it yourself.

Below are some notes on my experience using UPHClean...

UPHClean is a Microsoft service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

Problem: getting Event Viewer > App Log > Errors 1517 & 1524. Shutdown is slow.

This is happening on 770lilla, Mom's computer, and all others XP computers.

Solution: I installed UPHClean v1.6d and it solved the problem. Errors 1517 & 1524 are gone. Shutdowns are faster.

Observation: UPHClean (1420KB) runs as a process all of the time. I think it is worth it to eliminate this problem.

Hope this helps,

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

@Kiki Burgh

Thank you reporting errors and things which are not clear enough!!! :)

> (2) UPHClean-Setup.msi already has a beta (but is tagged as ver 2)

Don't understand... I took that info but I don't use it by myself. I thought it was 1.6d.

hi Mim0! i agree with Lilla ... uphclean is important. i found out the same while still on sp2. checking event viewer had errors that pointed to uphclean as resolution (i recall it was something about profiles) ... indeed, after installing it, i didn't have the same logs in event viewer moving forward. now as for 2.0 (beta), pls see this blog ... i think this has been shipped with vista (unconfirmed though) while others reported it works, others said otherwise. thanks!

hi Mim0! i agree with Lilla ... uphclean is important. i found out the same while still on sp2. checking event viewer had errors that pointed to uphclean as resolution (i recall it was something about profiles) ... indeed, after installing it, i didn't have the same logs in event viewer moving forward. now as for 2.0 (beta), pls see this blog ... i think this has been shipped with vista (unconfirmed though) while others reported it works, others said otherwise. thanks!
The author of UPHClean, Robin Caron, has a blog for discussing UPHClean. According to this blog, the latest build of UPHClean 2.0 beta (ver. 2.0.48.0) was released Oct 31, 2008 - over a year ago now.

A blog to discuss UPHClean and profile problems

For the record, I use 1.6d (the last public release). I have no experience with the 2.0 beta.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla