Windows Updates

tommyp

Mim0, how did you come across 2264107? I don't see it on WU.

nm, I see now it's from the advisory issued yesterday.

Edited by -X-

new updates for XP:

Update for Root Certificates [August 2010] (KB931125)

Update for Windows XP (KB2264107)

Mim0, both of those links point to the KB2264107 download. The correct link for the Root Certificates should be:

Update for Root Certificates [August 2010] (KB931125) gaiconbig.gif

Yes, THX.

PS: It was just an error in this posting above. The link in the list was correct.

• 3 weeks later...

As a starter may I just express thanks to Tommy P et. al. for all the work that has gone in to HFSLIP, and to Muppet Hunter for maintaining the Windows XP hotfix list. Both have been invaluable to me in sorting out my XP systems. :thumbup

Muppet Hunter,

Can I just raise a few issues with the list that you might like to address with the September hotfix list.

1. Towards the end of the Security Hotfixes section there is an entry for Asycfilt.dll. The filename correctly shows KB979482, but the KB is shown as 979902. Is this correct?
  2. In the August list you replaced KB973687 with KB973686, which was entirely logical with the introduction of KB2079403; however, this combination causes errors in the setuperr.log. I reverted to using KB973687, which solved the problem. May I suggest the list reflects this?
  3. In the IE Hotfixes section KB982632 was replaced by KB982664 in the August patches.
  4. The MUAuth.cab link gives Error 404.
  5. The IEAWSDC.CAB and opuc4.cab links both result in a 'WEB page is unavailable' message from the MS office WEB site.

Many thanks.

JonWell

Edited by JonWell

Hi JonWell

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just doing the new list and the KB link for KB979482 is now fixed for when the new page goes up.

The msxml 3/6 fixes are a bit of a nightmare, but I've just had a look and see what you mean. If msxml3 from KB2079403 can overwrite that of KB973687 without causing any errors then I'll list 973687 instead of 973686.

The KB982664 doesn't appear to have a kb article page yet, but I'll put that in too.

I'm not sure what to do about IEAWSDC.CAB and opuc4.cab as I couldn't find any working links to them on microsoft's site. If they're no longer available from MS, then maybe someone would like to host them somewhere?

I'll fix the link to MUAuth.cab too.

Thanks for the reports, they're very much appreciated :)

Edited by Muppet Hunter

HFSLIP has problem integrating WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-XXX.exe

The resulting OS has the old mp4sdecd.dll and

MU list this update.

I had to put the Hotfix into the HFSVCPACKSW1 folder to make it work.

Edited by ykchanaed

Hi Muppet Hunter,

I spent some time yesterday looking at registry tweaks. One of these is for disabling of autorun for KB967715. You have the registry tweak listed in your Common Updates section, but the associated (and pre-requisite) hotfix has been removed from the list. Is there a reason for this?

Regards,

JonWell

Hi Muppet Hunter,

I spent some time yesterday looking at registry tweaks. One of these is for disabling of autorun for KB967715. You have the registry tweak listed in your Common Updates section, but the associated (and pre-requisite) hotfix has been removed from the list. Is there a reason for this?

Regards,

JonWell

look here and here :)

HFSLIP does a good job processing most of latest September 2010 security updates! The only problem is KB975558 not getting installed completely using Windows XP SP3 with WMP11 integrated. Although HFSLIP did update mp4sdecd.dll to 11.0.5721.5274, one other file is not updated. The support article is a bit descriptive about mpg4ds32.ax, but as it is part of Windows XP setup I think it should also be updated.

After some testing I have added the following code to HFSLIP.cmd (BETA J) at line 1622:

IF EXIST TEMP\WM8\mpg4ds32.ax MOVE/Y TEMP\WM8\mpg4ds32.ax TEMP >NUL

P.S. Keep up support for HFSLIP. The code is still open source.

Edited by Acheron

Hi Muppet Hunter,

Regards,

JonWell

look here and here :)

Mim0,

Thanks for the pointers. That clears up that problem for me!

HFSLIP does a good job processing most of latest September 2010 security updates! The only problem is KB975558 not getting installed completely using Windows XP SP3 with WMP11 integrated. Although HFSLIP did update mp4sdecd.dll to 11.0.5721.5274, one other file is not updated. The support article is a bit descriptive about mpg4ds32.ax, but as it is part of Windows XP setup I think it should also be updated.

After some testing I have added the following code to HFSLIP.cmd (BETA J) at line 1622:

IF EXIST TEMP\WM8\mpg4ds32.ax MOVE/Y TEMP\WM8\mpg4ds32.ax TEMP >NUL

P.S. Keep up support for HFSLIP. The code is still open source.

All,

I've had a go at this one as well, with differing results. I noted ykchanaed's earlier comment and included KB975558 in HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder. Checking the resultant OS files against the KB article versions gives the following results:

File: mpg4ds32.ax - expected v8.0.0.4504 - got v8.0.0.4504

File: mp4sds32.ax - expected v8.0.0.406 - file missing

File: mp4sdmod.dll - expected v10.0.0.3706 - got v11.0.5721.5262 (presumably since I'm including WMP11)

File: mp4sdecd.dll - expected v11.0.5721.5274 - got v11.0.5721.5274

I note that the KB has 2 versions of mp4sdmod.dll listed, v9.0.0.4509 & v10.0.0.3706. Obviously WMP11 dropped off the radar!

I think for the moment I'll let WU handle this one, unless there's a simple answer!

Regards.

Edited by JonWell